Windows 10: New PC with SSD and HDD setup

Discus and support New PC with SSD and HDD setup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm having issues completing my environment setup on my Dell XPS 8930 desktop computer. As mentioned in the subject line, my PC has both an SSD and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jim and Barb, Apr 10, 2019.

1. New PC with SSD and HDD setup

I'm having issues completing my environment setup on my Dell XPS 8930 desktop computer.

As mentioned in the subject line, my PC has both an SSD and HDD.

The operating system (Windows 10 Pro) is on the SSD as Drive C.

The HDD is 2tb and I plan to use this for my user data.

I moved (move to new location via properties) my user data from C: to D: which was the typical Documments, Pictures, Videos, Music, Desktop and Downloads.

All moved fine without issue.

Then, I discovered it was possible to move the OneDrive location as well.

So, I followed the Microsoft web based instructions as well.

Upon completing this task, my previously moved user folders went away, but exist within the OneDrive sub-directories.

While I was surprised at this, it seemed to make sense because of file syncing. If both OneDrive and my user folders lived separately on the same drive, I would have duplicate files...

Therefore I assume this was supposed to happen. Is this correct ?

Now, my next issue.

I have a 1tb Western Digital USB3 drive attached to this PC as a backup drive.

After syncing OneDrive (cloud) to my D: drive OneDrive along with reinstalling my software from my old PC, my thoughts were to backup to User Data Drive "D:" to my WD Drive "G:".

I attempted to use Robocopy with the /MIR (mirror parameter) to complete this task, but it failed with error because of a Recycle Bin issue. Additionally, it seemed to wipe out all pre-existing files on my G: drive, which now says its empty even thought the same space allocated for those former files shows up as used space (very strange).

I them tried a Robocopy with specific sub-directories within drive D: like /OneDrive, but again the process failed because it said OneDrive is in use.

Can anyone provide suggestions to my issues ?

:)

Jim and Barb, Apr 10, 2019
  2. Adæ Win User

New pc build ssd and hdd

I recently finish to build my gaming system

and instead get a HDD

I choose a secondary SSD for overall performance vs a regular HDD

and the SSD have other benefits compare to a HDD.!

my primary SSD 111GB I have the OS and the game I play everyday

my secondary M2 SSD 256GB I have my backup and one more game

my primary SSD still have 37,8GB free space

my secondary SSD still have 150GB free space

why I choose an SSD for my secondary hard drive?

because the price was reasonable and plus I have a M2 SSD port on my motherboard

and I never run out for space

and obviously because the SSD is faster and doesn't produce heat like a HDD does

I used to use a 500GB HDD in my old build

and I remember when I defrag the HDD it take at least 1 hour

the SSD doesn't have to be defrag and I love it...!!!!

3. davnav Win User
    new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

Ive just bought a brand new lenovo pc which has windows 10 home 64bit and has a 1tb hard drive fitted, im looking for advice on the following.

Ive fitted the ssd into the pc but its not shown up so need step by step guide on how to make it active ?

Next I need help on how to clone the 1tb hdd to the
    Ssd drive, step by step and best software to use and have the ssd as the main drive then use the the 1hdd for storage.I just dont want to break my new system
    Thanks for your time.

davnav, Apr 10, 2019
  4. New PC with SSD and HDD setup

SSD / HDD Setup

It's pretty simple to redirect the default folder location of Pics, Docs, Music, etc.
    MS has a support page for it here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/redirect-a-folder-to-a-new-location

I went one step further with my SSD/HDD setup and made a 30GB partition just for the OS on the SSD. Then I install any programs that can be given an alternative path to the secondary partition, as well as the page file. 35GB might be a bit more appropriate for updates well into the future and/or in case he forgets to put some progs on the secondary partition, but so far 30GB has been plenty space for me. You can change the default install path as well, but I wouldn't recommend that as he'll probably want to install some things on the SSD, and some on the HDD, so it's better to do it piecemeal.

Frag Maniac, Apr 10, 2019
Thema:

New PC with SSD and HDD setup

1. New PC with SSD and HDD setup - Similar Threads - SSD HDD setup

2. New PC setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New PC setup: I got a new PC from my work and I'm stuck on the "Who's going to use this PC?" screen. I tried putting in my own name and password and the ones that my company gave me but keep hearing "that name doesn't work." I'm using regular characters for everything but nothing seems to...
  3. New PC setup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New PC setup: I got a new PC from my work and I'm stuck on the "Who's going to use this PC?" screen. I tried putting in my own name and password and the ones that my company gave me but keep hearing "that name doesn't work." I'm using regular characters for everything but nothing seems to...
  4. Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage setup with a SSD and HDD: Hi I have just purchased an HP Pavillion Desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, I have initialised windows, choosing to use OneDrive for backup and storage I have 1TB cloud storage with 365 and also updated windows and drivers. I have not transferred any data from my old pc...
  5. Setups automatically installing in ssd instead of hdd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setups automatically installing in ssd instead of hdd: I just clean wiped my pc yet it still has the issue where for example: steam setup is set on my SSD C: where it is supposed to automatically install in my HDD D:. it does this for practically every setup. HELP!...
  6. New ssd drive , hdd files arent on pc

New ssd drive , hdd files arent on pc: Hello, i bought and reinstalled windows on a new ssd drive to get the benefits of it, after running the computer everything seems to be fine but the apps from the old hdd are not showing up on the pc, for exepmle discord , the pc is like new and i want to fi d a way to open...
  7. Storage Utilization Suggestion, new PC with SSD & HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Utilization Suggestion, new PC with SSD & HDD: I recently purchased a new Dell XPS 8930 with a 256gb SSD and 2tb HDD. What would be the best recommendation to utilize these effectively. I've yet to unbox this Desktop PC as I want to research all best solutions before I move data from old PC and/or re-install software....
  8. New pc build ssd and hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New pc build ssd and hdd: Hello, I am planning a brand new build and would like to install a 120gb ssd as my boot disk, and a 1Tb for pretty much everything else. What is the best way to go about this? And how do I make the hdd the default for downloads, storage, etc. This will be a clean, new...
  9. hdd to ssd on new computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hdd to ssd on new computer: Hi yes im going to buy 2 1tb samsung evo 850 to replace my 1tb hdd know my pc comes with 240gb ssd already what i want to do is unplug both and swap them out for the 1 tb evo 850 and then just completely install windows on one of them and have one on back up is this method...
  10. NEW PC Setup

NEW PC Setup: Hi All Newer Gaming PC from Asus arriving by Monday, getting things in order So far got all the drivers for the external hardware Plan on transferring sorta new ssd to the new machine, will be used as boot drive First gonna do system image of current hard drive in the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new hdd setup

2. how to set up new xps 8930 drives ssd and hhd

3. ssd with hdd setup

4. ssd and hdd setup,
  5. ssd hdd setup windos,
  6. set up new laptop with both ssd and hdd