Windows 10: New PC with Windows 10 Pro has compromised my privacy

Discus and support New PC with Windows 10 Pro has compromised my privacy in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have been using Windows 10 and its predecessors for many years. I have been generally happy with the product, but one of my main concerns has been... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Wob, Sep 11, 2020.

1. WOB
    Wob Win User

New PC with Windows 10 Pro has compromised my privacy

I have been using Windows 10 and its predecessors for many years. I have been generally happy with the product, but one of my main concerns has been the security and privacy of my data. In particular should my PC ever be lost or stolen, my hard disk contains a great deal of personal data Because of this concern I decided to pay the extra and buy a new PC with Windows 10 Pro for bitlocker encryption of the data.

As I started to set up my new PC today, I found one thing which was totally new to me: the fact that it demanded I used my Microsoft account which up to now I've only used for email to create a log on for my new PC. Only ever having had so called "local accounts" before on my Windows PCs, at first I assumed this new system would give me additional security and protection for my data. In fact after spending a few hours activating bitlocker and loading all my personal data onto the PC, I found just the contrary. Without asking my permission, Microsoft grabbed hold of my private data and started uploading it to OneDrive. I've never previously used OneDrive and object to using it since I don't want risk any third party compromising my privacy by storing my data this way. OneDrive soon told me it was full and started bombarding me demanding payment to increase my data store. I just want the contrary and refuse to permit Microsoft to hold my data, PC passwords etc.

I am now struggling to get rid of the Microsoft account from my PC by creating only local accounts as I've always done before. Unfortunately Windows 10 makes it very difficult. I've discovered a hidden facility to enable me to set up local accounts on my new PC. However I have yet to find a way of setting one up as Administrator and then wiping out the nuisance Microsoft account which is causing me all the problems.

Can anyone help me and suggest a way for me to remove the Microsoft account and set up only local accounts including Administrator on my PC?

:)

2. P4-630 Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update to Feature New Levels of Privacy Control

Just a tiny step closer before I'll upgrade to windows 10....

P4-630, Sep 11, 2020
  3. Is My Privacy Being Compromised?

Your privacy is not being compromised. By the way -- your clothes dryer jammed and you need to go to take a look a it. Be careful as you head up the stairs because you dog peed on the 3rd step. *Nerd

The Pool Man, Sep 11, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

1. New PC with Windows 10 Pro has compromised my privacy - Similar Threads - Pro has compromised

2. will windows activate if my old pc has windows 10 pro activate will it activate on a new...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    will windows activate if my old pc has windows 10 pro activate will it activate on a new...: My old dell desktop pc is windows 10 pro and it is activated it is a retail version. I ordered a new gaming pc and it comes with windows 11 pro but unactivated if I log in to my new gaming pc with my old windows 10 pro Microsoft account, will it have my new gaming pc already...
  3. will windows activate if my old pc has windows 10 pro activate will it activate on a new...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    will windows activate if my old pc has windows 10 pro activate will it activate on a new...: My old dell desktop pc is windows 10 pro and it is activated it is a retail version. I ordered a new gaming pc and it comes with windows 11 pro but unactivated if I log in to my new gaming pc with my old windows 10 pro Microsoft account, will it have my new gaming pc already...
  4. My Surface Pro 7 is completely compromised

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My Surface Pro 7 is completely compromised: Everytime I load up my pc it says automatic repair then it then says "something went wrong" and a error log file if I try to do reset pc it says something went wrong anything I try no matter what does not work PLS HELP...
  5. Privacy compromised by having real name show in reviews

Privacy compromised by having real name show in reviews: How do I delete a review for an app in Microsoft Store? I am happy with the review, but did not realise my real name would be shown. This hugely compromises security and without changing my actual main account name, I cannot find a way of making a display name for such...
  6. Privacy compromised by having real name show in reviews

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Privacy compromised by having real name show in reviews: How do I delete a review for an app in Microsoft Store? I am happy with the review, but did not realise my real name would be shown. This hugely compromises security and without changing my actual main account name, I cannot find a way of making a display name for such...
  7. Privacy compromised by having real name show in reviews

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. My email has been compromised

My email has been compromised: Whilst remotely connected to our server, I received two emails from a colleague, I replied to them and as we have read receipts turned on, my two receipts were received by the sender from different countries in Africa. Our network administrator is clearing up my account and...
  9. Email has been compromised

Email has been compromised: I suddenly had all my email sent to deleted and now I have to go to the deleted emails to read my emails. I am not getting anything on Inbox anymore. It all started after a dropbox email was sent from my email supposedly to like 20 email contacts, it then got all messed up...
  10. Is My Privacy Being Compromised?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is My Privacy Being Compromised?: Being a curious sort, I've been looking around and I think this is suspicious? Settings>Privacy> Under windows permissions I see everything is turned on by default. I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box BUT I'm finding the descriptions of each "topic" a bit confusing.. See...