Windows 10: NEW Power Supply Upgrade Question

Discus and support NEW Power Supply Upgrade Question in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi All In order to prepare for future video card upgrade, decided for upcoming birthday to purchase newer power supply for my Asus M52BC_M32BC01... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AMDMan2016, Feb 15, 2017.

1. NEW Power Supply Upgrade Question

Hi All

In order to prepare for future video card upgrade, decided for upcoming birthday to purchase newer power supply for my Asus M52BC_M32BC01 System, Found out Motherboard is M5A97 EVO 2, is there anything I should be aware of before doing the NEW Power supply install, plan on getting an EVGA at least 550watt G3 Modular Power supply, Current one is a Generic 350 watt from Asus

:)

AMDMan2016, Feb 15, 2017
  2. Innoccu35 Win User

Hardware Upgrade

Currently, I'm running an AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, compute Cores 4C+6G 3.10 Ghz with Windows 10. In order to upgrade my graphics card, I have to upgrade my power-supply - no big deal. Then I find that in order to upgrade my power-supply I have to get a new
    motherboard that will allow for a 20 or 24 pin set-up. Now for my questions:

1. If I install the motherboard with same processing chip, new power-supply, and graphics card - I'm not sure that my hard drive would be able to recognize the setup as comparable. So do I loose Windows 10 and all my files?

2. Is there an order that I should do the upgrades to make the change less dramatic for the Windows system?

3. Am I a complete noob? Not totally, just never upgraded so majorly all at once. Help? Please?

Innoccu35, Feb 15, 2017
  3. windows 10 new power supply

Hi,

Windows has not even loaded until after the BIOS post so Windows in not involved at all.

Same thing would happen if you had no OS installed at all.

Has to be hardware so check all the connections. And something could have come loose when the PSU was installed. Or there is an issue with motherboard which possibly caused or was caused by the PSU failure.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Feb 15, 2017
  4. DooGie Win User

NEW Power Supply Upgrade Question

For future proofing I would personally go for the highest wattage PS I could afford.
    For the past 5 years I've used an Enermax 650 Watt PS and while it has been adequate for my next one I'd go for 1000 Watts minimum.

DooGie, Feb 16, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    You do not need a 1000 watt PSU, those are meant for sli configurations and modern hardware is much more power efficient.

@AMDMan2016 How old is your system?

Also one way to find out how much power you need is to go to pcpartpicker.com and enter your components and the new graphics card and it'l total up the wattage your system will require. So if the site says a total of 480w for instance, you could go for 550w for some headroom. The site will also notify you of any incompatibilities between your components. I would say that 550-650w PSU would be sufficient.

One thing to note is always go for a well known brand that has a good reputation. You don't want the PSU to be the weakest link.

swarfega, Feb 16, 2017
  6. Voodoo 01 Win User
    Try to research ahead how much power the new hardware will draw from the PS.

There is no need to overspend if you can allow a say
    200 to 250 Watts window for any surges or spikes in the demand of power

Voodoo 01, Feb 16, 2017
  7. System just over a year old, Going probably for EVGA G3 Power supply, look to be good reviews, did EVGA power meter thing on there site, they recommened between 480 watts to 550 watts

PC part picker showed no incompatibles with that Power supply, power wise 550 watt should be enough, just getting 1 new video card eventually, 1 SSD eventually, and that's all lol

AMDMan2016, Feb 16, 2017
  8. pparks1 Win User

No need for anything approaching 1000 watts. PC's are very efficient these days. Unless you run dual high end video cards, you likely don't have any reason for more than 600W.

pparks1, Feb 16, 2017
  9. bobkn Win User
    What graphics card do you have in mind?

If you want a high-end 1080 or a Pascal Titan X, you may want to go a bit higher on the PSU than 550W. (245W max power consumption by the graphics card.) You won't need 1kW.

You need a 24 pin ATX connector plus an 8 pin 12V one for the MB. The worst-case single graphics card would need two 8 pin PCI-E power connectors.

bobkn, Feb 16, 2017
  10. Wullail Win User
    I generally put a 650W PSU in the new builds I make, it's a bit more than needed usually but the extra is there 'just in case' , 1000W is way overkill for almost all builds.

Unless money is tight , I try and persuade the customer to buy a modular power supply , means I can only put in the power connector wires I need for the build and if any more are needed later they can just be plugged in to the empty sockets, keeps cable mess to a minimum.

Wullail, Feb 16, 2017
  11. Steve C Win User
    I chose EVGA for their 10 year warranty after having had two XFX PSUs fail within one year. Look at the prices and choose something 600W plus. I bought an EVGA 850W PSU since it was only slightly more than lower rated EVGA options.

Steve C, Feb 16, 2017
  12. Yeah gonna see if I can afford a 600 watt model, Video card planning to get in the Future Possibly AMD RX 460, since Processor is an AMD FX 8310 8 Core, decided to stick with AMD side of things, and yes going fully Modular supply so only will need hooked up cables actually used, which should cut down on cable cutter and help further with cooling as well.

Case don't know if can fit a Dual slot card, so might get RX 460 single slot card from XFX or perhaps MSI or some company

Bluetooth with Wireless card below video card do use with Phone at times, wireless portion of card don't use though, use the 1Gb Ethernet connection.

AMDMan2016, Feb 16, 2017
  13. Rarda Win User

Just get the requirement for your card there is no reason to spend a ton of money on a PS that oyur only going to use half of

Rarda, Feb 16, 2017
  14. bobkn Win User
    I'm confused. The M5A97 EVO R2 is a full-sized ATX motherboard. The board you picture in post #10 is a microATX board. I can't make out how many PCI-E slots are present, but I think that you may have the main X16 one, plus an X1 slot next to it, and an X4. You'd lose the X1 with a dual-slot card, but I guess that you'd still have a slot for the network card.

I hope that you don't need a single slot card. A quick look at newegg.com suggests that would seriously limit your choices. (On the plus side, you wouldn't need much of a PSU to run any of those cards. They tend to the low end.)

There is no need to restrict your choices to AMD GPUs. I'm not an nVidia fan, although I have bought more nVidia cards than AMD/ATI.

bobkn, Feb 16, 2017
  15. Yeah I don't know if board is ATX or Micro ATX, as this was a Prebuilt Asus AMD FX System, shows on sticker Asus M52BC_M32BC01 for model, I'm confused to as don't know if board is a special microatx model, one sticker shows M5A97 EVO R2, yet it doesn't even look like a full atx board in there.

AMDMan2016, Feb 16, 2017
Thema:

1. NEW Power Supply Upgrade Question - Similar Threads - Power Supply Upgrade

2. New power supply causing BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New power supply causing BSOD: Hi all,So my last power supply stopped working a few days ago, it was a 700w 80plus bronze power supply and I have just upgraded to a Corsair HX1000i PSU but now every time I boot my computer after a while it blue screens and the error code changes sometimes so it’s hard to...
  3. New power supply causing BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New power supply causing BSOD: Hi all,So my last power supply stopped working a few days ago, it was a 700w 80plus bronze power supply and I have just upgraded to a Corsair HX1000i PSU but now every time I boot my computer after a while it blue screens and the error code changes sometimes so it’s hard to...
  4. New power supply causing BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Power supply

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power supply: Hello. I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio. This is an upgrade from my Microsoft Surface Pro 4. In addition to the power supply that came with the Laptop Studio, am I able to use the power cord that came with Microsoft Surface Pro 4, or perhaps the...
  6. Power supply

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power supply: Hello. I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio. This is an upgrade from my Microsoft Surface Pro 4. In addition to the power supply that came with the Laptop Studio, am I able to use the power cord that came with Microsoft Surface Pro 4, or perhaps the...
  7. power supply upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    power supply upgrade: I have a tp01-1016 hp computor with a 180 watt power supply. would like to know what 300+ power supply will work in thiis computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-supply-upgrade/7cd8fe24-033d-4aa4-8b75-7815ce6cf7de
  8. Power Supply Calculator to calculate the Power Supply Wattage

in Windows 10 News
    Power Supply Calculator to calculate the Power Supply Wattage: [ATTACH]When it comes to PC building, one of the most important components is the […] This article Power Supply Calculator to calculate the Power Supply Wattage first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. BSOD after installing new power supply

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after installing new power supply: Attachment 85517 i7-930 MSI GeForce 660ti Dell XPS 9100 Windows 10 Home After having my computer's old power supply die I just installed a new one today to get the system up and running. In the time since then multiple ks.sys crashes have occurred. Including when I...
  10. Uninterruptable Power Supply Question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Uninterruptable Power Supply Question: Hi There all Currently have a APC BE750G model, believe its only rated to 400watts, anyways just upgraded my main Desktop to Evga G3 650watt power supply, am i right in not using that UPS for the Tower/plugged into separate surge for right now til i get to store and get a...