Windows 10: New Product Key needed - help !

Discus and support New Product Key needed - help ! in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; i am not tech savvy so please be gentle! I bought a Lenovo laptop in January via a company on Amazon for personal use. It was faulty and the company... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Caroline B, Oct 25, 2018.

1. New Product Key needed - help !

i am not tech savvy so please be gentle! I bought a Lenovo laptop in January via a company on Amazon for personal use. It was faulty and the company exchanged it. It was a good spec for the money. I suspect that the company supplies in bulk to organisations and this was a surplus model.

All has been fine with it until last week when messages started appearing when I started the laptop up that the Windows License was about to expire and I needed a new activation (product ?) key. When I looked in Settings, it is running Windows 10 Professional not Home as I had expected (I have little idea what the difference is !). The company that I bought from will only refund the purchase price if I return it. I don't really want to do this as a) I would have to pay more money to get a similar spec and b) it is a lot of hassle setting up a new one.

I can see from Googling that you can buy new Licenses/Product Keys but I am very unsure what I need as this isn't a new installation of 10 and I don't want to waste my money buying something that won't work. What do I need to buy or should I just send the laptop back and get a refund ??

Many thanks

:)

Caroline B, Oct 25, 2018

2. Convert a Windows 8pro product key to a Windows 10pro produkt key

Hi Andre,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to Uninstall the license using the following steps.

• Press Windows key + X
    • Click Command Prompt (Admin)
    • At the command prompt, type: slmgr.vbs -upk
    • Press Enter, this will uninstall the product key from the computer.
    Further on, install Windows 8.1 activate the copy with the product key on the new machine. Then again upgrade the same to Windows 10 using Window Update or Media Creation Tool.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 25, 2018
  3. product key

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please follow the below steps to resolve this issue:

Steps:

• Press and hold Windows key + R.
    • Type ‘slui 3’.
    • Enter your old product key and try to change product key
    • Use the new product and check if you are able to activate.
    For more information please follow the link given below, this information is provided by Andre Da Costa.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-activate-and-resolve-common-product-key/33f31475-93b3-4d1c-812f-4b21fbd807a7

Please get back to us if you are still facing this problem.

Hope the information helps to fix the issue, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Oct 25, 2018
  4. Sher Amo Win User

New Product Key needed - help !

Product key

Hi Megan,

A product key is used when activating a software.
    To help us determine the appropriate troubleshooting steps that can resolve your concern, we'd like to ask the following questions:

• What product are you trying to activate?
    • Are you looking for the product key to activate your Office application?
    • Which version of Office are you trying to activate? To check this, you can perform the steps posted on this
      link.
    • Are you looking for the product key to activate your Windows?

We look forward to your response.

Sher Amo, Oct 25, 2018
Thema:

New Product Key needed - help !

1. New Product Key needed - help ! - Similar Threads - Product Key needed

2. need help to get Activation product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need help to get Activation product key: I am getting frequent warnings on my screen see attached screenshot Windows 10 License is expiring, and a product key is required!I don't possess this key. Please, help....
  3. Need help with product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with product key: Seen a post saying to get this info and post a screenshot to get my product key any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-with-product-key/502bca14-d4d0-4887-8bd6-7cf13d93ee8a
  4. Need help with product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help with product key: Seen a post saying to get this info and post a screenshot to get my product key any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-with-product-key/502bca14-d4d0-4887-8bd6-7cf13d93ee8a
  5. Windows 11 Needs a New Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Needs a New Product Key: I got the free Windows 11 upgrade and it is telling me now after several months of using it, that I need a new product key. Where am I able to get one without paying? As I never had to pay for Windows 11 in the first place, I refuse to spend hundreds of dollars on a new key...
  6. Windows 11 Needs a New Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Needs a New Product Key: I got the free Windows 11 upgrade and it is telling me now after several months of using it, that I need a new product key. Where am I able to get one without paying? As I never had to pay for Windows 11 in the first place, I refuse to spend hundreds of dollars on a new key...
  7. Need help with product key.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need help with product key.: Recently I upgraded a old pc, and the software glitched out and broke leaving me needing a new product key for Windows 10 Home. My friend told me I could contact support and ask to get a new product key, I couldn't find anything about it. Is it possible for me to get one? If...
  8. I need help with my product key

I need help with my product key: So, a couple months ago (2 months ago) I was warned that my product key would expire (I dont have any pictures of it but see the images from a different computer)... but guess what? when it hit the expiry date, nothing happened... it just stayed the way it was. All help is...
  9. New product key needed

New product key needed: My mate sold me his old laptop after he upfraded os from windows 8 to windows 10 pro. Now every time i turn on the laptop it asks for an activation key. Can i purchase the activation key on its own without buying the os software?...
  10. Need help reinstalling product key

Need help reinstalling product key: So, I rebuilt an existing desktop that came with Windows 10. Unfortunately, it seems as though the product key has been misplaced. I tried running the troubleshooting thing and it didn't work. Can someone help me recover the product key associated to my Microsoft account?...