Windows 10: New Reflect Free v7?

Discus and support New Reflect Free v7? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I thought Reflect Free v7 was due to be released before now. What's happened? 90710 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Steve C, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Steve C Win User

New Reflect Free v7?

I thought Reflect Free v7 was due to be released before now. What's happened?

:)

Steve C, Aug 6, 2017

2. windows 10 installation fails "pagefault_in_non-paged_area" pssnap.sys

From my experience, the goal is not to delete pssnap.sys. The goal is to update this file. In fact, when I deleted pssnap.sys, my computer would not reboot and I had to repair my installation.

Installing the latest version of Macrium Reflect Free will update pssnap.sys. In my case, the old version was dtd 3/29/13 and the new version was dated 10/12/15. Windows 10 will install with this new version in place. In fact, when you move Macrium Reflect
    Free, pssnap.sys is not removed. I conclude that you might as well leave the new version on your computer; but, this is a matter of personal taste.

Bottom line- you should simply update pssnap.sys and you will be fine. The safe and easy way to do this is to install an updated version of Macrium Reflect Free.

stationwagonman, Aug 6, 2017
  3. Transferring data from Windows 7 to new Windows 10

What I'd do would be to install the free Macrium Reflect backup program, then back up the whole C: drive to an external hard drive on the old PC. Then take that drive to the new PC, install Macrium Reflect there, and now you can selectively restore anything
    and everything you wish to the new PC. There's a free version of Macrium Reflect for non-commercial use, and you can buy 1 TB external hard drives for around $50 if you don't already have one.

If you want a less elegant solution, you could always get a flash drive and use copy and paste.

Hula_Baloo, Aug 6, 2017
  4. Bastet Win User

New Reflect Free v7?

It's probably been delayed. There's nothing on the Forum about it though.

Bastet, Aug 6, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Macrium Reflect v.7 is only available in the paid version.

NavyLCDR, Aug 7, 2017
  6. Slippery Win User
  7. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Aug 8, 2017
  8. OldMike65 Win User

New Reflect Free v7?

You could always buy it ....some of us did quite a while back, I've been running version 7 for months. *Smile

OldMike65, Aug 9, 2017
  9. Steve C Win User
    A Yorkshireman will never buy a product if you can get it for free!

Ear all, see all, say nowt;
    Eat all, sup all, pay nowt;
    And if ever tha does owt fer nowt – Allus do it fer thissen.

Steve C, Aug 9, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    I have bought it, but you only get a single user licence which I use on main pc.

I use free version on my other lesser used devices.

Of course, you can always use a boot drive on any device but that limits functionality - not even sure if that violates licence.

An interesting one was Macrium told me you needed a separate licence in a vm.

I use hyper-v and of course you can just mount vhd on host as a drive, and use host Macrium install to image backup, and restore to another vhd.

I do this to significantly compact vhds more effectively than powershell opitimize-vhd command.

I asked Macrium about this and they conceded this was not violating licence.

cereberus, Aug 9, 2017
  11. Mooly Win User
    I suppose the obvious answer is that if sales are good of V7 (and I have no idea whether they are or not) then it doesn't make economic sense to release a free version.

I looked on the Macrium forum yesterday and found a thread asking about the release date for V7. June was the answer as I recall. Later posts saying that date had been and gone were unanswered. Draw your own conclusions......

Mooly, Aug 11, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    As I said back in post #5.

cereberus, Aug 11, 2017
  13. CountMike New Member

New Reflect Free v7?

V6 is still working fine but haven't had an update for a while. I think they reneged on promise for free version and that's why I will look for free replacement with similar characteristics. Can't believe they couldn't just cut some features non essential for home user. Looks like greed crept up on them due to popularity. Methinks I'll stop recommending their products. Also hope that MS develops their backup options further and make it an APP. That would get such greedy companies in order fast.

CountMike, Aug 12, 2017
  14. cereberus Win User
    How can you say they have reneged?

They just have not yet delivered it. Same happened with V5 and V6 free - it took about six months.

MS have stated they are deprecating system image backup and recommend using 3rd party tool.

Actually, most of the new V7 features are pretty advanced and for most users not even relevant. To this end, the free vwrsion of V7 is unlikely to be that different to V6 - with the most notable change probably will be ability to launch ViBoot from inside Reflect instead of running a separate version which is not really that major a change.

I think it possible they will include incremental backups as opposition programs do that now.

In the end, if V6 meets your needs, no urgency to get V7 Free.

cereberus, Aug 12, 2017
  15. CountMike New Member
    No urgency but they don't even answer the questions about free v7 version any more so "reneging" is probably right word for it. What they are doing is pretty typical, delay until it's forgotten. Developing new features may be long and difficult job but cutting down on them should be no brainer if only they wanted to do so. Many developers do that. Even to buy it would be a chore for me because of problems with international payments. I would also cost me quite more because of that and changes from $CDN to RSD to $US or EU.

CountMike, Aug 12, 2017
Thema:

New Reflect Free v7?

1. New Reflect Free v7? - Similar Threads - Reflect Free

2. Macrium Reflect Free Version Being Retired

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Macrium Reflect Free Version Being Retired: Folks here often recommend the free version of Macrium Reflect as an alternative to Windows' own backup options. Unfortunately, the free version is going away, and there will be no further feature updates. Security updates will continue until January 24, 2024, however. The...
  3. Macrium Reflect Free Version Being Retired

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect Free Version Being Retired: Folks here often recommend the free version of Macrium Reflect as an alternative to Windows' own backup options. Unfortunately, the free version is going away, and there will be no further feature updates. Security updates will continue until January 24, 2024, however. The...
  4. Macrium Reflect free ver7 has Not got any update since over a month

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect free ver7 has Not got any update since over a month: did they dropped the Support for the Free Version ? i use it Only to create a full Windows backup why did they drop the Support for the Free version ? at least Updates Ver 8 has no free version 181901
  5. Macrium Reflect - paid vs. free version...

Macrium Reflect - paid vs. free version...: About a week or so ago, I finally got the paid version of Macrium Reflect. Mainly for the Image Guardian that the paid version adds. Today I was testing, backing up and restoring from a USB stick (fast one). It works. However, I noticed that with the paid version, I also get...
  6. Macrium Reflect Free adds a second Recovery partition when I restore

Macrium Reflect Free adds a second Recovery partition when I restore: Hello, I am using Macrium Relect Free to make backups of my computer. I used it to make a system image backup of Windows 10 on an SSD. To test I booted into the Macrium Rescue media USB key and restored the image to a different HDD. Macrium added another Recovery partition to...
  7. Problem Cloning HDD to SSD with Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem Cloning HDD to SSD with Macrium Reflect Free: Hi Everyone! My new post today is a follow up from this thread where I had successfully cloned my Hard Disk Drive to an SSD Drive with the same capacity of 1 TB. However, this post isn't about my computer, as it's still working like a racehorse with the newly installed SSD....
  8. Macirum Reflect Free Quick Little Question

Macirum Reflect Free Quick Little Question: If i Decide to ever go back to Free version if still offered, and not purchase another Home Version license in the future, currently using a 4 pack, with Keys in use for 3 systems, 4th Key not in use right now. So would it be wise to use that in the future, or go back to...
  9. Macrium Reflect Free 7.3 imaged to USB flash drive produced six files

Macrium Reflect Free 7.3 imaged to USB flash drive produced six files: I've just built a dual-boot machine with Windows 10 (20H2) and Linux (Elementary OS 5.0), and it occurred to me that Reflect (7.3 Free) could probably image that drive including the ext4 partition containing Elementary OS and (I hope) the GRUB bootloader (wherever it...
  10. Free Macrium Reflect fails to restore the Windows 1mage

Free Macrium Reflect fails to restore the Windows 1mage: I use Macrium Reflect on my ASUS Laptop with Windows 10 Home version 20H2. Recently I tried to restore an earlier Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 Image with Macrium Reflect on my Laptop but the restoration failed several times and I got the following message. Otherwise my Laptop...