Windows 10: New REFS option when formatting?! Can I use this on the OS drive? Should I?

Discus and support New REFS option when formatting?! Can I use this on the OS drive? Should I? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SarcasmTagIsCancer [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SarcasmTagIsCancer, Dec 3, 2020.

1. New REFS option when formatting?! Can I use this on the OS drive? Should I?

/u/SarcasmTagIsCancer, Dec 3, 2020

2. File name changes when moving files from an NTFS formatted drive to a ReFS formatted drive (ReFS version 3.4)

Sometimes when I move a file from an NTFS formatted drive to a ReFS formatted drive the file name changes a bit. The name on the target drive (ReFS formatted) takes the original name of the file (before I renamed the original file on the NTFS drive) . is
    this an index problem or is this an incompatibiliy between NTFS and ReFS when moving files ?

For example :

drive c (NFTS formatted : file name 'Ab.TXT' renamed to "11.TXT" later.

drive d (ReFS formatted )

move "11.TXT" from drive C to drive d

new file name on drive d: "Ab.TXT" (back the original name (before renaming it).

jason123037, Dec 3, 2020
  3. A.M. Win User
    ReFS is not listed as a format option when creating a mirrored storage space

I have two Windows 10 computers. Both are upgraded from Windows 7. When I create a storage space on one of these computers, I can format a two-way mirrored storage space as ReFS, but the other computer only lists NTFS for the same two drives.

If I create a mirrored ReFS space on the first computer and then plug in the drives into the second computer, Windows pops up an error message saying "This version of Windows doesn't support the ReFS format on drive".

How can I enable ReFS on the second computer?

A.M., Dec 3, 2020
  4. Fernandz Win User

New REFS option when formatting?! Can I use this on the OS drive? Should I?

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

New REFS option when formatting?! Can I use this on the OS drive? Should I?

1. New REFS option when formatting?! Can I use this on the OS drive? Should I? - Similar Threads - REFS option formatting

2. Should I format the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I format the hard drive?: I recently bought a refurbished Lenovo, needing a machine with enough power and storage to run Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop without crashing. I asked for any reliable laptop with 16GB ram and 256GB memory and was not paying attention to the operating system. It came with...
  3. Should I format the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I format the hard drive?: I recently bought a refurbished Lenovo, needing a machine with enough power and storage to run Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop without crashing. I asked for any reliable laptop with 16GB ram and 256GB memory and was not paying attention to the operating system. It came with...
  4. WHEN IN THIS PC I CAN RIGHT CLICK ON HARD DRIVE AND SEE FORMAT OPTION, I CAN DO THE SAME...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WHEN IN THIS PC I CAN RIGHT CLICK ON HARD DRIVE AND SEE FORMAT OPTION, I CAN DO THE SAME...: WHEN IN THIS PC, I CAN RIGHT CLICK ON A HARD DRIVE AND SEE A FORMAT OPTION, I CAN DO THE SAME THING WITH A USB DEVICE, BUT IF I DO THE SAME THING ON A DVD DEVICE NO FORMAT OPTION. THIS PROBLEM EXISTS WITH AN INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL DVD....
  5. WHEN IN THIS PC I CAN RIGHT CLICK ON HARD DRIVE AND SEE FORMAT OPTION, I CAN DO THE SAME...

WHEN IN THIS PC I CAN RIGHT CLICK ON HARD DRIVE AND SEE FORMAT OPTION, I CAN DO THE SAME...: WHEN IN THIS PC, I CAN RIGHT CLICK ON A HARD DRIVE AND SEE A FORMAT OPTION, I CAN DO THE SAME THING WITH A USB DEVICE, BUT IF I DO THE SAME THING ON A DVD DEVICE NO FORMAT OPTION. THIS PROBLEM EXISTS WITH AN INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL DVD....
  6. WHEN IN THIS PC I CAN RIGHT CLICK ON HARD DRIVE AND SEE FORMAT OPTION, I CAN DO THE SAME...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. How should I format my drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How should I format my drive?: I was having some *problems that made me unable to boot into windows. So I called some people and troubleshooted and I’m confident my only option is to format my drive and reinstall windows. So I bought an adapter so I can plug in my ssd to a laptop through a usb port because...
  8. File name changes when moving files from an NTFS formatted drive to a ReFS formatted drive...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File name changes when moving files from an NTFS formatted drive to a ReFS formatted drive...: Sometimes when I move a file from an NTFS formatted drive to a ReFS formatted drive the file name changes a bit. The name on the target drive ReFS formatted takes the original name of the file before I renamed the original file on the NTFS drive . is this an index problem or...
  9. When should I use Feedback Hub and when should I use Microsoft Community?

When should I use Feedback Hub and when should I use Microsoft Community?: I put this in this category as I am not sure where else to put it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-should-i-use-feedback-hub-and-when-should-i/528e39b3-d1f3-4ba8-95e0-34d5b9b7993d
  10. Using old OS drive in a new setup without formatting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using old OS drive in a new setup without formatting: Good morning , I am about to make an upgrade on my desktop , which include installing Windows 10 in a M.2 NVMe drive , but keeping using the older drives ( SSD and HDD , which have the current Windows 10 ) . My question is : After formatting and installing the OS in the new...