Windows 10: New Router or VPN???

Discus and support New Router or VPN??? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I have today been looking at subscribing to a VPN provider. However, my husband suggested I look at How-To-Geek to see what they say. Having done... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TraceyW, Jun 24, 2019.

1. TraceyW Win User

New Router or VPN???

Hi

I have today been looking at subscribing to a VPN provider. However, my husband suggested I look at How-To-Geek to see what they say. Having done that, they are suggesting that not everyone needs a VPN - just a new router. But routers as they as used be seem to be going out of fashion and ours is getting on in computing terms (possibly 7-8 years old) and has no firmware update to correct some of the things I am looking for.

Currently I use Avast Internet Security and it reports that I am not keeping things private that should be private. There are two of us here and we spend a lot of time on the internet and currently we are allowing the following to be read/discovered:

* Anyone can see what we are doing online
    * Our ISP may well be recording everything we are doing online
    * Our location is exposed
    * Our IP address is visible

My question is: would a new router hide these things or should I just go for a VPN? If I were to go for a router what would people suggest? If a VPN, I'd be tempted to go for NordVPN or one of the other top rated VPNs out there.

Hoping someone can help out.
    Tracey

:)

TraceyW, Jun 24, 2019
  2. Knoxx29 Win User

Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Hi everyone.
    I am not an expert about Vpn and that's why I would like to know if someone could list me a few trusted Vpns, I would really appreciate any suggestion/ advice.

Thanks.

Knoxx29, Jun 24, 2019
  3. Linksys Launches New Unmanaged Switches and VPN Routers

Linksys today announced it has re-entered the Small and Medium Business (SMB) marketplace with the launch of seven new unmanaged switches (three with PoE) and two new VPN Routers. Linksys sold SMB infrastructure products for 20 years and has been a leading provider of switches and routers. The Linksys SMB brand was dissolved a few years ago, but now is back under Belkin International to offer a portfolio of business networking and security products that will target SMB businesses and resellers.

"It's with our commitment to honor the Linksys heritage by entering back into the SMB space to target SMB businesses and resellers with solutions that are purpose-built for SMB environments," said Ben Thacker, Global Vice President of Enterprise Business, Belkin International. "Our competitive advantage is our solid 20+ experience in the SMB space and we understand customers, resellers and partners want quality products with high performance while servicing them to help grow their business. Our line-up of switches and VPN routers is the first in a series of high performance business networking and security solutions to come from Linksys."

New Router or VPN??? LINKSYS_LGS105_01_thm.jpg

New Router or VPN??? LINKSYS_LGS108P_01_thm.jpg

New Router or VPN??? LINKSYS_LGS116P_01_thm.jpg

The first product suite from the Linksys Business series will include unmanaged switches, unmanaged switches with Power over Ethernet (PoE) and VPN routers.

Linksys Unmanaged Desktop Switches
    The new unmanaged managed Desktop Gigabit Switches include 5, 8, 16 and 24-port versions and 8, 16 and 24-port versions that include PoE. Features include:
    • Gigabit speeds
    • Auto-Sensing Ports
    • Power Saving Features including
      Auto power-down disables unused ports
      Smart Power for short cable runs
      Port status switch to control LED lights
    • Quality of Service (QoS) Traffic Prioritization (on 8, 16 and 24-Port only)
    • Power over Ethernet functionality (on PoE versions only) for connecting access points or video surveillance solutions
    Linksys Gigabit VPN Routers
    The new Linksys LRT series integrates Gigabit firewall, site to site VPN and various remote access VPN technologies into two single solutions. The LRT Series includes the Gigabit VPN Router and Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Router. These routers feature:
    • 4 Gigabit ports
    • Up to 50 IPSec tunnels
    • Five OpenVPN tunnels
    • Dual-WAN Load Balance and WAN Failover (on LRT244 only)
    • Integrated firewall supporting URL filtering and access rules
    • 802.1q VLAN tagging
    • Port Forwarding, port triggering and Port address translation for 30 devices
    • DMZ Port
    • DHCP Server
    • DNS
    • And more features can be found on the Linksys VPN Router pages
    Availability
    The Linksys new line-up of unmanaged switches is available now thru major distributors. The Linksys Gigabit VPN Routers are planned for availability in early December. SMBs and resellers can find a participating distributor at our website: http://www.linksys.com/en-us/business/find-a-distributor

Linksys Unmanaged Switches
    • LGS105 - MSRP $49.99
    • LGS108 - MSRP $59.99
    • LGS116 - MSRP $179.99
    • LGS124 - MSRP $229.99
    Linksys Unmanaged PoE Switches
    • LGS108P - MSRP $179.99
    • LGS116P - MSRP $299.99
    • LGS124P - MSRP $449.99, Planned for Availability by the end of November
    Linksys VPN Routers
    • LRT214 - MSRP $229.99, Planned for availability in December
    • LRT224 - MSRP $299.99, Planned for availability in December

Cristian_25H, Jun 24, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

New Router or VPN???

Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Tired of Germany blocking many youtube videos? *Big Grin New Router or VPN??? :D

P4-630, Jun 24, 2019
Thema:

New Router or VPN???

1. New Router or VPN??? - Similar Threads - Router VPN

2. How to configure my new TP-Link modem router to allow a VPN connection on Windows?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to configure my new TP-Link modem router to allow a VPN connection on Windows?: I have a router from the ISP that is working ok but with a very short range for WIFI. I bought a new TP-Link router. I did the quick setup nice and easy however when it attempts an Internet Connection Check it fails ALTHOUGH internet is working fine and WIFI is good. But...
  3. Recommendations for Wireless Router to run VPN client

Recommendations for Wireless Router to run VPN client: I want to run a VPN client on my router in order to protect all my devices attached to the network. I currently use a ASUS RT-AC66U B1 and the router CPU just can't handle the traffic. It degrades my download speed over 50% compared to running the VPN client on my desktop....
  4. Recommendations for Wireless Router to run VPN client

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recommendations for Wireless Router to run VPN client: I want to run a VPN client on my router in order to protect all my devices attached to the network. I currently use a ASUS RT-AC66U B1 and the router CPU just can't handle the traffic. It degrades my download speed over 50% compared to running the VPN client on my desktop....
  5. Had vpn for past 3 1/2 yrs, then read that my modem/router was not supported

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Had vpn for past 3 1/2 yrs, then read that my modem/router was not supported: I recently got rid of my vpn, I liked the service, but my modem/router was not supported. And now about a week later, I feel that I need it. I would have to purchase a router and that is where it got a bit confusing. Do I need to have the new router "flashed"? Not real...
  6. OneDrive sync issues over wifi using Huawei 4G router using an enterprise VPN

OneDrive sync issues over wifi using Huawei 4G router using an enterprise VPN: I have a works windows device that I am struggling to sync desktop files up-to OneDrive cloud, the device is connected via wifi over a VPN it is silent and i cannot configure the VPN to a Huawei H112-372 5g router EE is the carrier .I have also a mac book air and I have...
  7. How am i accessing router login page through a VPN connection.

How am i accessing router login page through a VPN connection.: Recently i have changed my ISP router to a third party router, and somehow i can access my router login page through a VPN connection but i cant access my USB NAS, Technically i should not be able to access anything on local network through a VPN. I don't understand this...
  8. Failing to connect to a Telnet host on port 23 via a VPN only when going through router.

Failing to connect to a Telnet host on port 23 via a VPN only when going through router.: I've been going crazy trying to narrow down this issue. So to start, I am trying to connect to a remote server for work. This connection is using a telnet client program on my pcs. One is Windows 10, the other, Windows 7. Both also have a vpn client installed and I am...
  9. Dedicated IP for VM with NAT for VPN at router level?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Dedicated IP for VM with NAT for VPN at router level?: Hi, I hope someone can be kind enough to help me with suggestions on my VM setup. What I have: Windows 10 host. (Motherboard has two LAN ports) Virtualization through Hyper-V or Virtualbox 1 main router (192.168.1.1) 1 potential secondary router. What I want: NAT "type"...
  10. connecting my internet router/modem with VPN on Windows 10

connecting my internet router/modem with VPN on Windows 10: Hi, I have a device that runs one cable from it to the wall socket. This device is how I get my internet, and I don't know if it is called a browser or a modem. How do I figure that out? Then, the problem I have now is I want to also get a paid VPN subscription and so I...