Windows 10: New router: Win10 Pro shares no longer visible, can't see other shares

Discus and support New router: Win10 Pro shares no longer visible, can't see other shares in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just switched to a new router (from DLink DIR-655 to TP-Link Archer C7) and now my Windows 10 Pro cannot see network shares nor can others on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by IronRod, Feb 20, 2016.

1. IronRod Win User

New router: Win10 Pro shares no longer visible, can't see other shares

I just switched to a new router (from DLink DIR-655 to TP-Link Archer C7) and now my Windows 10 Pro cannot see network shares nor can others on the network see its shares. Prior to the router switch, it could see shares and others could see the shares it exposed.

The Win10Pro can see the internet. I can still ping other computers and they can ping the Win10Pro, just no Windows sharing. All computers are in the same Workgroup. I am not using a Homegroup; computer connections are made with user accounts.

The Windows 10 Pro is connected via wire. When I made the switch, I remember that Win10 came up and told me it had a new network and prompted whether to allow network discovery - to which I said yes. I thought that odd at the time since changing the router didn't change the NIC connection from the Win10 -- but whatever. However, it did change the IP address on the Win10Pro from what it was. But I've since rebooted all computers (thinking that might cause them to refresh) but no improvement.

Advanced Sharing Settings are set as:

• Private: Network Discover = ON, File and Printer Sharing = ON
    • All Networks: Password Protected Sharing = ON, Public Folder Sharing = ON

:)

IronRod, Feb 20, 2016
  2. march4th Win User

Windows 10 Does Not Recognize Home Network & No Button to Create New Network

How do I get my two Windows 10 home computers to share data with each other? They were both sharing data fine on an existing Ethernet wired home network through a modem-router. After Microsoft Update, they were no longer able to share data. Windows
    10 now says it no longer recognizes a home network to exist, and there is no button in Network & Internet to create a new home network.

march4th, Feb 20, 2016
  3. problem with windows 10 security updates - breaks Zenui Android File manager file transfer

Same issues here. I do not use Password Login on my PCs. I have Password Protected Sharing Disables and I can only access PUBLIC file/folders with Zenui. Attempting to access other shared drives/folders result in a request for credentials. (acts as though
    Password Protected Sharing is Enabled)

One notable exception on my network is, my PC that is a Win7 Home Upgraded to Win10 Home without a clean install of Win10. I can fully access all shared file/folder/drives. All my other network PCs are Win7 Pro upgraded to Win10 Pro then a clean install
    of Win10 Pro.

Notes - I have deleted and setup a new Homegroup (not that that should matter). And all my PCs have full access to each other.

Hopefully this extra info will help someone figure this out.

**** Edited 11:25 pm - Just for grins, I added a PC configured with Win7 Pro to the network and I have full access to all shared file/folders/drives on this PC with my phone.

Nickhog2001, Feb 20, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Has nothing to do with your router. It is a SMB 2 & 3 issue with Windows 10. There has been a long ongoing discussion about this problem, that is in a sticky if you look in the list of posts for this forum area. The other is third party Network Security software that the user has not ran to update the network info for the net LAN to be trusted.

bro67, Feb 20, 2016
  5. lolcocks Win User
    Can you please post a link to that sticky? I seem to be unable to find it.

lolcocks, Feb 20, 2016
  6. IronRod Win User
    Thank you. I did search before posting but I don't see the sticky you mention. The only one I see is about posting your internet speeds.

BTW: I did notice this morning that the Win10Pro computer is not presenting NetBIOS name or info as do the others.

Ah, but I found this link (which SHOULD be a sticky): Windows 10 1511 Network Browsing Issue. Those steps corrected my problem.

A little more research on this and I also found this from MS: How to enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3 in Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012

IronRod, Feb 20, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    That is the one. Brink should have a Tutorial for this. Third party Network/Internet Security software is what I always look at first, when dealing with issues. I do not run any software firewalls on my computers on my LAN, since my router has a very good built in Firewall.

With Microsoft making over 1200 changes in the next roll out, I am sure that this will not be the last time that we will be dealing with this issue.

bro67, Feb 21, 2016
  8. lolcocks Win User

Hey, can someone point out to my why does changing the router cause sharing problems?
    I mean SMB is for Windows right? How come changing the router makes devices invisible?

lolcocks, Feb 21, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Different LAN, Winsock and IP Table for routing and ports still think that Windows is on the other LAN.

I always flush the DNS and reset Winsock when swapping gateways for people.

Easier with Linux, because it will automatically flush the DNS and IP table when it detects a new LAN on boot.

bro67, Feb 22, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    SMB is nothing more then Microsoft's port for Samba. CIFS is Microsoft's proprietary software for the Windows network.

I would rather use NFS and Samba over what Microsoft wants everyone to use. A lot easier to work with, when you are dealing with NFS.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New router: Win10 Pro shares no longer visible, can't see other shares - Similar Threads - router Win10 Pro

2. Apple Shared Albums No Longer Visible in Photos Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apple Shared Albums No Longer Visible in Photos Apps: Only recently has the shared albums disappeared from this App. I was enjoying seeing some access to the many albums shared with me in the IOS world.Was this by design ?...
  3. Shared Folders visible, Shared Files not visible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared Folders visible, Shared Files not visible: Running Windows 10 Pro, 2004 on the host machine I have a problem with shared files not showing on any remote devices. Shared folders and subfolders are visible, but the files within the folders cannot be seen on other Win 10 machines, with Android and other devices...
  4. unable to see shared network drive on router

unable to see shared network drive on router: How do I setup windows 10 to be able to see all my shared network devices? I am looking for my //net-storage/drive that is on my router. I did it long ago for another computer but forget how I managed to accomplish the task....
  5. accessing Network share on other Win10 pro box.

accessing Network share on other Win10 pro box.: for the life of me Windows 10 with LAN network file explorer is Attrocius... I have 2 Win10 pro right next to each on a gigabit switch, basically my son and mine and i can not access any shares on his C drive cant even access it via default share C$, my son is logged in with...
  6. Network sharing, visibility issues between PC, laptop and router

Network sharing, visibility issues between PC, laptop and router: Hello all, Seem to have an odd problem between my PC running Win 10 x64 1803, my laptop running Win 10 x64 1803 and my TP Link AC3200 tri-band router. I currently have a 6TB WD external hooked up to the USB 3.0 port on the back of the AC3200, my laptop can see it just fine...
  7. Network shares no longer visible in Explorer

Network shares no longer visible in Explorer: I have two machines: a laptop (Zebedee) and a desktop (Dougal). A couple of days ago I found that the network shares from both machines were no longer visible in Explorer on either machine. I noticed this after Zebedee (but not Dougal) had been upgraded to Windows 10 version...
  8. Shared folders not visible on other devices

Shared folders not visible on other devices: Hi, I am running Windows 10 and trying to set up a network so that I can transfer photos from an android phone onto my laptop hard drive for back up. I've been using an app to do this and it has worked in the past brilliantly (called "Sweet Home" if interested). Unfortunately...
  9. Another can't see other shares in Workgroup thread.

Another can't see other shares in Workgroup thread.: Ever since the Win10 1709 update, my network has gone off the rails. I'm hoping you folks can help me get it back. I have three computers connected through a router. An office computer, shop computer and a laptop. The office and shop are hard wired and the laptop is...
  10. Shared Drives no longer visible in Explorer

Shared Drives no longer visible in Explorer: Hi,I know that there have been similar posts with similar issues. I have read the more but they are not exactly the same and I have tried some of the solutions posted but they have not worked.I have a desktop computer and a surface pro. The problem is with the desktop...