Windows 10: New Samsung 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives

Discus and support New Samsung 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [img] Samsung Electronics, a worldwide leader in advanced memory solutions for more than two decades, today unveiled the Samsung 960 PRO and 960... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

New Samsung 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives

Read more: Samsung Electronics Accelerates the NVMe Era for Consumers with Its Highest Performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives Samsung Newsroom

:)

Brink, Sep 20, 2016
  2. kburnssr Win User
    kburnssr, Sep 20, 2016
  3. kburnssr Win User
  4. essenbe Win User

That will out drag a Chevrolet. That's fast!

essenbe, Sep 20, 2016
  5. swarfega Win User
    I'm sure I'll be having one in my new machine next year.

swarfega, Sep 20, 2016
  6. tinmar49 Win User
    Their warranty was ten years for some of their ssd's.

tinmar49, Sep 20, 2016
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Here's a key excerpt! Wow! Lightning fast and actually affordable!

The 960 PRO and 960 EVO SSDs will be available worldwide starting October 2016, with manufacturer’s suggested retail prices starting at $329.99 and $129.99 USD respectively.

f14tomcat, Sep 20, 2016
  8. dencal Win User

Ah! but when you include a compatible motherboard the costs mount.
    Plus changing the mobo, one "might" need to purchase a new O/S....It all adds to the cost....but hey its only money....but worth it.

dencal, Sep 21, 2016
  9. leetron Win User
    leetron, Sep 21, 2016
  10. bobad Win User
    bobad, Sep 21, 2016
  11. sneekez Win User
    I'm using a 950 512g, one thing I considered when I put my new pc together was a MB with the M.2 connection down at the bottom of the board so as not to put the drive up next to the Vid Card. FYI...Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA. Never have had a problem with throttling etc.

sneekez, Sep 21, 2016
  12. essenbe Win User
    The article states that the throttling with the 960s has been improved by 50%, in that it takes twice as long to throttle than the 950's did.

essenbe, Sep 21, 2016
  13. sygnus21 Win User

I'm also running a 950 512gig, but mine is on a Gigabyte Z170 board where the bottom M2 slot is directly under the video card. If I use the top M2 slot, I'd lose two Sata connections.

Anyway I hope they also addressed the heating issue with this new release. My 950 gets really hot during large file transfers, and generally runs in low 50's during "normal use". Contrast this with the 850 Pro which sits at 27 Celsius.

That said, being my 950 Pro is barely 5 months old I don't anticipate getting a 960 any time soon unless I'm upgrading to a 1TB drive.

sygnus21, Sep 22, 2016
  14. Mystere Win User
    Bummer, I just bought my 2 512 950's about a month ago.. *Sad

Mystere, Sep 22, 2016
  15. VBJP Win User
    If motherboard doesn't have M.2 socket you can just buy PCI-E adapter card with M.2 socket it would be cheaper you only need PCI-Ex4 or better slot open on your motherboard.

Thema:

1. New Samsung 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives - Similar Threads - Samsung 960 PRO

2. Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Solid State Drive: If I make 2 partitions on an SSD and write a lot to one of them, can that one partition fail and the other not? Does it work that way? submitted by /u/FluffyAlcatel [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ubw7mp/solid_state_drive/
  3. Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Solid State Drives: This is my first time without an HDD. I now have SSD. Does data on an SSD ever fragment? Am I now done with defraging my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drives/b803253f-0d3a-43af-8484-1d460d1686d5
  4. Windows and Solid State Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows and Solid State Drives: I'm considering getting a new computer with a SSD Wil I have any difficulty installing Windows 10 on the SSD? James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-and-solid-state-drives/99be41ad-0667-49d3-9dae-c8a52ef82fb8
  5. Samsung 960 EVO, suddenly random IOPS read is much slower

Samsung 960 EVO, suddenly random IOPS read is much slower: When bench-marking my 960 EVO with Samsung Magician it's now much slower for random IOPS read and I can't figure out why. I have made sure I have the latest drivers etc but nothing helps. [img] - - - Updated - - - The only change I can remember is that I converted the...
  6. "Trimming" a solid-state drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Trimming" a solid-state drive: Every time I open the defrag app I read, "Never run" and "Needs optimizing." I run the optimizer and it reports "trimmed." But after a few days, it again says "Never run," etc. This is happening consistently. Any idea why--and whether it is cause for concern? Is the fact that...
  7. solid state drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    solid state drive: After replacing my HD and installing win 10. I cant see my SSD. Had win 8 before changing HD. Where do I look? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solid-state-drive/66ded83f-fb6f-4b1e-bcbb-a479c75e754d
  8. Installing a New SSD drive ( Samsung 860 evo)

Installing a New SSD drive ( Samsung 860 evo): Hi there , I am trying to installing a new SSD (2.5 inch , 7mm height) that I brought for my old Laptop . The Laptop has a HDD whose height is 9.5 mm but my SSD is 7mm ….. * My laptop Specs are :: Processor - Intel core i5 2410M 2.30Ghz 2 core 4 thread RAM - 12gb...
  9. Samsung 960 EVO NVMe performance...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Samsung 960 EVO NVMe performance...: My new system is based on the Asus Prime Z370-A MB, that has two PCIe (x4), M.2_1 and M.2_2. Both of the sockets are populated with Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250 GB M.2 cards. Windows 10 setup had selected the M.2_1 drive and installed without any issues. Windows 10 is up to...
  10. Can't Boot from Samsung 960 EVO M.2 Drive, Sort Of

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't Boot from Samsung 960 EVO M.2 Drive, Sort Of: installed W10 on the above drive. When I try to boot from it, it doesn't work. It says insert boot media. I had already installed W10 on the drive. And I can see the drive in BIOS and windows explorer when booting from another drive. Oddly, when I boot from an SSD drive...