Windows 10: New Samsung 980 NVMe SSD without DRAM now available

Discus and support New Samsung 980 NVMe SSD without DRAM now available in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Samsung Electronics America, the world leader in advanced memory technology, today announced the 980 NVMe SSD[1], the company’s first consumer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Brink Win User

New Samsung 980 NVMe SSD without DRAM now available

Samsung Electronics America, the world leader in advanced memory technology, today announced the 980 NVMe SSD[1], the company’s first consumer drive without DRAM. Delivering the highest performance among DRAM-less SSDs[2], the new 980 makes blazing NVMe speeds more accessible to a wider range of users.

“Through both hardware and software innovations, our new 980 SSD brings greater value without compromising the high-end NVMe performance,” said KyuYoung Lee, vice president of Memory Brand Product Business team at Samsung. “The 980 offers an excellent blend of speed, power efficiency and reliability, making it suitable for everyday PC users and gamers as well as content creators.”

New Samsung 980 NVMe SSD without DRAM now available 980_PKG-Fullshot-600x400.jpg

Previously, DRAM-less designs have presented a disadvantage in speed without the short-term memory at hand for fast access to data. Samsung’s 980 utilizes Host Memory Buffer (HMB) technology, which links the drive directly to the host processor’s DRAM to overcome any performance drawbacks. This technology, coupled with the company’s latest sixth-generation V-NAND as well as optimized controller and firmware, enables the 980 to provide NVMe performance with six times the speed of SATA SSDs. Sequential read and write speeds come in at up to 3,500 and 3,000 MB/s, while random read and write performances are rated as high as 500K IOPS and 480K IOPS[3], respectively.

The newly upgraded Intelligent TurboWrite 2.0 also offers significantly enhanced sustained performance over the previous iteration[4] by allocating a much larger buffer storage area inside the drive.

For users working with extremely large files or running graphics-heavy games, the new ‘Full Power Mode’ added to Samsung’s Magician 6.3 software allows the drive to continuously run at peak performance for uninterrupted work and play.
    Additionally, consumers will no longer have to worry about their drive overheating, thanks to its advanced thermal designs. Users can enjoy stable and reliable performance even during prolonged use thanks to the same Dynamic Thermal Guard technology, nickel-coated controller and heat spreader label solutions available in Samsung’s high-end 980 series.

The SSD also features improved power efficiency of up to 56% when compared to the previous 970 EVO,[5] allowing laptop users to better manage power usage.

The Samsung 980 SSD is available for a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $49.99 for the 250GB, $69.99 for the 500GB and $129.99 for the 1TB. For more information, please visit samsung.com/SSD or samsungssd.com.

Key Specifications

Category Samsung 980 NVMe SSD Interface PCIe Gen.3.0 x4, NVMe 1.4 Form Factor M.2 (2280) Capacity 1TB, 500GB, 250GB Sequential Read/Write Speed Up to 3,500 / 3,000 MB/s Random Read/Write Speed (QD32) Up to 500K IOPS / 480K IOPS Management Software Samsung Magician Data Encryption AES 256-bit Full Disk Encryption, TCG/Opal V2.0, Encrypted Drive (IEEE1667) Total Bytes Written 600TBW (1TB)
    300TBW (500GB)
    150TBW (250GB) Warranty [6] Five-year Limited Warranty [7]

Source: Samsung’s 980 NVMe SSD Combines Speed and Affordability to Set a New Standard in Consumer SSD Performance - Samsung US Newsroom

:)

Brink, Mar 9, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

New Samsung 980 PRO SSD with PCIe 4.0 support up to 7,000 MB/s speeds

Source: Samsung Delivers Next-Level SSD Performance with 980 PRO for Gaming and High-End PC Applications – Samsung Global Newsroom

Amazon: SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD | Amazon

Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6431939

newegg: SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4, NVMe Samsung V-NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V8P1T0B/AM - Newegg.com

See also:

Brink, Mar 9, 2021
  3. btarunr Win User
    Samsung Readies 970 and 980 Series NVMe SSDs

At its Flash Memory Summit booth, Samsung revealed plans to launch new consumer-segment SSDs which succeed its current 960 EVO and 960 Pro series. Over 2017-18, the company is expected to launch the new 970 series and 980 series NVMe SSDs. Tom's Hardware predicts that Samsung could dispose of the "EVO" and "Pro" brand extensions to a static model number (such as 960 or 950). Samsung could tap into its current 3-bit per cell (TLC) 64-layer 3D V-NAND flash memory for the 970 and 980 series. With the company busy capacity-building for 4-bit per cell (QLC), the new SSD lines may not feature it, although Samsung is capable of surprising with aggressive launch cycles. As drives supporting the NVMe protocol, the 970 and 980 series could ship in modern form-factors, such as M.2 and U.2.

New Samsung 980 NVMe SSD without DRAM now available 8BH98awxToxFKtwO_thm.jpg

Source: Tom's Hardware

btarunr, Mar 9, 2021
  4. New Samsung 980 NVMe SSD without DRAM now available

Samsung PM971 NVMe SSD Surfaces

Last week, we were introduced to Samsung's upcoming PM981 SSDs, which should give way to higher-performance parts such as the 980 series. Today, however, it's the slightly lower-tier PM971 platform that has surfaced, which should give way to Samsung 970 series of NVMe SSDs. Remember that the company seems to be moving away from their "EVO" and "PRO" monikers as performance differentiators, and this new nomenclature series should replace it come launch time.

The PM971-based SSDs will feature a 22mm x 16mm x 1.5mm multi-chip package that includes Samsung's Proton controller, LPDDR4 DRAM cache, and V-NAND flash into a single chip. As was to be expected from a more mainstream solution, performance will be noticeably lower (at least in pure numbers) when compared to the higher-tier 980 series.

New Samsung 980 NVMe SSD without DRAM now available ugdzLoRcf5VqbTdm_thm.jpg

New Samsung 980 NVMe SSD without DRAM now available pnoPqftkvJdrNzPe_thm.jpg

Whereas the 512 GB version of the 980 series is expected to deliver 3,000 MB/s read and 1,800 MB/s write speeds (sequential), the 970 series' 512 GB part should deliver up to 1,500 MB/s sequential read and up to 900 MB/s sequential write speeds - which are more than enough for all but the most demanding users, and shouldn't deliver that different of an experience.

Samsung claims random performance up to 190,000 IOPS read and 170,000 IOPS write, which are in line with other known performance metrics. Initial capacities should be available in 128 GB, 256 GB, and 512 GB parts, though with the advent of higher density 64-layer TLC and QLC V-NAND on the horizon, capacities are very likely to increase in time.

Source: Tom's Hardware

Raevenlord, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

New Samsung 980 NVMe SSD without DRAM now available

1. New Samsung 980 NVMe SSD without DRAM now available - Similar Threads - Samsung 980 NVMe

2. Windows 11 Installation Samsung SSD 980 NVMe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Installation Samsung SSD 980 NVMe: Hi,I have recently bought new PC components but faced weird issue. I am already working on it for 2 days and read most threads online. None of the instructions helped. So I am coming up to you so maybe you could give some hints.The issue: upon installation of Windows 11...
  3. Windows 11 Installation Samsung SSD 980 NVMe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Installation Samsung SSD 980 NVMe: Hi,I have recently bought new PC components but faced weird issue. I am already working on it for 2 days and read most threads online. None of the instructions helped. So I am coming up to you so maybe you could give some hints.The issue: upon installation of Windows 11...
  4. No new device drivers found error when installing Windows 11 on a Samsung 980 M.2 NVME SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No new device drivers found error when installing Windows 11 on a Samsung 980 M.2 NVME SSD.: I recently installed a new Samsung 980 NVME SSD after my old one stopped working. After installing it I'm now trying to install windows on it. But the windows installation wasn't detecting the drive because it apparently had no drivers. So I download the Intel RST VMD drivers...
  5. No new device drivers found error when installing Windows 11 on a Samsung 980 M.2 NVME SSD.

No new device drivers found error when installing Windows 11 on a Samsung 980 M.2 NVME SSD.: I recently installed a new Samsung 980 NVME SSD after my old one stopped working. After installing it I'm now trying to install windows on it. But the windows installation wasn't detecting the drive because it apparently had no drivers. So I download the Intel RST VMD drivers...
  6. Samsung SSD 980 Pro NVMe, on mother board MSI Z390 Godlike fails to be seen in Disk...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Samsung SSD 980 Pro NVMe, on mother board MSI Z390 Godlike fails to be seen in Disk...: I am adding Samsung SSD 980 Pro NVMe, mother board MSI Z390 Godlike in available Me2 slot. fails to be seen in Disk Manager. The first event seen is Event 219, kernel-PnP. I returned the first memory device thinking it was the issue. Still same problem. Below are Event logs...
  7. Samsung SSD 980 Pro NVMe, on mother board MSI Z390 Godlike fails to be seen in Disk...

Samsung SSD 980 Pro NVMe, on mother board MSI Z390 Godlike fails to be seen in Disk...: I am adding Samsung SSD 980 Pro NVMe, mother board MSI Z390 Godlike in available Me2 slot. fails to be seen in Disk Manager. The first event seen is Event 219, kernel-PnP. I returned the first memory device thinking it was the issue. Still same problem. Below are Event logs...
  8. New 980 PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD 1TB Re: How To Check Disk?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New 980 PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD 1TB Re: How To Check Disk?: New disk to keep more stull a click away. Last year when I purchased the WD - easystore 14TB External's at the good price at US $190 I think I ran Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics and it took all night. I know that Samsung has Samsung Magician Software. Should I be...
  9. samsung 980 bluescreen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    samsung 980 bluescreen: So I changed my boot m.2 drive and copied all of my data from my old one to my new one which worked for a week but now it bluescreens after awhile out of nowhere i only managedto getthis info of the...
  10. New Firmware for Samsung 980 Pro

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New Firmware for Samsung 980 Pro: My 980 has just been updated to 2B2QGXA7. Can't find any mention of whats changed. 174405