Windows 10: New Satana ransomware encrypts user files and master boot record

Discus and support New Satana ransomware encrypts user files and master boot record in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; And the news just keeps getting better *sarc. Take the time to make back ups & system images. System Image - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Borg 386, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Borg 386 Win User

New Satana ransomware encrypts user files and master boot record

And the news just keeps getting better *sarc. Take the time to make back ups & system images.

System Image - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

New Satana ransomware encrypts user files and master boot record | PCWorld

:)

Borg 386, Jul 3, 2016
  2. HairyFool Win User

Ransomeware

The 1st example is over 5 years old and things have got far more sophisticated.

There are a number of tools that can rebuild the master boot record and others that can still read the data after a rebuild.

Current ransomware such as Cryptlocker encrypts all user data files individually with deep coding which is virtually uncrackable. Why just work on one file when they can do hundreds? It leaves Windows still functional which makes it easier for the victim
    to follow through the ransom payment.

HairyFool, Jul 3, 2016
  3. quietman7 - MVP, Jul 3, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

And this is why an OFFLINE(external disk stored in the closet, not just turned off, but unplugged) is so important.
    I do weekly('s enuff 4 me*Smile) to my 2nd internal, fo incase I mess up something, but, once a month, or so., I update my offline disk. I set it up, let Macrium run and image all 3 internal(for partitioning look at my specs) while I shave, shower, go shopping and eat dinner. I even image my weekly image partition(that's why it takes half a day, it needs to open the compressed files to read them).

Respect, I gotta hand it to them, encrypting the MBR... and Windows or any PE environment doesn't know where anything is .

Cliff S, Jul 3, 2016
  5. A neighbour (a retired 95 year old navy Chaplin) showed me his tablet which he could not shut and it showed a webpage from the cyberpolice demanding $200 or else. I managed to get to shut down but when it rebooted that webpage came up immediately. He took it to a local Geek Squad and they managed to reset it to factory defaults for only $210. *cry Not quite sure now who the crooks are!

I keep an offline hard drive with a copy of my system and it is the best protection. My only problem is keeping it current.

alkaufmann, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New Satana ransomware encrypts user files and master boot record - Similar Threads - Satana ransomware encrypts

2. How to backup a master boot record

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to backup a master boot record: How to back up a master boot record when converting to a gpt disk structure. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-backup-a-master-boot-record/da94a621-3626-4be3-b2ab-394e304743ce
  3. How to backup a master boot record

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to backup a master boot record: How to back up a master boot record when converting to a gpt disk structure. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-backup-a-master-boot-record/da94a621-3626-4be3-b2ab-394e304743ce
  4. How to backup a master boot record

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Files encrypted by ransomware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Files encrypted by ransomware: ATTENTION! Don't worry, you can return all your files! All your files like pictures, databases, documents and other important are encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key. The only method of recovering files is to purchase decrypt tool and unique key for you. This...
  6. Problem with Master Boot Record / Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with Master Boot Record / Windows Boot Manager: Hi, Today i was casually using my PC, when suddenly my screen freezed and I got the BSOD. Shortly after that the computer rebooted itself and instead of normally booting it displayed a message saying that I have to instert the proper boot device. I googled a bit and thought...
  7. Files encrypted by ransomware

Files encrypted by ransomware: Split from this thread. Cumulative updates - February 11th 2020 hi i have a problem on my computer i got a message that reads like this: ATTENTION! Don't worry, you can return all your files! All your files like photos, databases, documents and other important are...
  8. Master Boot Record

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Master Boot Record: Okay, so I remove, from my laptop, the SSD with Windows 10 installed. Then I put in an different SSD and install Ubuntu. Now I put the SSD with Windows 10 back in the laptop alonside the SSD with Ubuntu. I turn on the laptop. What happens next? -- Am I taken to BIOS and...
  9. This nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record

This nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record: A new malicious program now makes it even more difficult by completely locking victims out of their computers. The new Petya ransomware overwrites the master boot record (MBR) of the affected PCs, leaving their operating systems in an unbootable state, researchers from...
  10. Nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record

in Windows 10 News
    Nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record: It’s hard enough for non-technical users to deal with ransomware infections: understanding public-key cryptography, connecting to the Tor anonymity network and paying with Bitcoin cryptocurrency. A new malicious program now makes it even more difficult by completely locking...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. open SATANA file