Windows 10: New Seagate harddrive disconnects until **power plug** is pulled

Discus and support New Seagate harddrive disconnects until **power plug** is pulled in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A brand-new, less-than-a-month-old external hard drive ("Seagate 8TB Expansion Desktop") randomly disconnects after a few hours (1.5 to 12? hours), and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by HedgeToaster, May 4, 2021.

1. New Seagate harddrive disconnects until **power plug** is pulled

A brand-new, less-than-a-month-old external hard drive ("Seagate 8TB Expansion Desktop") randomly disconnects after a few hours (1.5 to 12? hours), and can only be reconnected after un/re-plugging the power plug from the power socket. Simply un/re-plugging the USB cable does not work. This not only indicates potential future problems, but also makes the drive unusable for my purposes as I need to run long-running processes on it unsupervised. The Amazon return period is about to expire on April 10th, but I already have important data on the drive I cannot currently move anywhere else! >_< Help, what do I do? What could even cause that problem? I'd kinda understand if un/re-plugging the USB cable would fix it, but I have to pull the drive's power plug. It's like the hard drive needs to be rebooted? This has happened 3 times in the last 3 days, 4 times total in under a month. Could this sort of "disconnect", depending on the cause, cause damage to the data stored on its data in the long run? (Asides from the files being written to the drive at that moment, I mean.) Is this a known issue? Is this a Windows 10 driver thing? Something as simple as "get a different cable" / "run program X" or "update driver Z"? Or is this indicative of a hardware defect I cannot fix and should ask for a replacement drive? Again, the drive is brand-new - and I've already got data on it I cannot move without buying another hard drive first, which couldn't possibly arrive in time before the Amazon return deadline. -_- [rambling] This puts me in a pretty bad spot to be honest. I bought the new hard drive in kind of an emergency situation; not just one, but THREE of my external hard drives (which I bought years apart from each other, mind you) all decided to begin failing [Currently Pending Sectors] within less than 1 month of each other; one of which has the backup for the other two. -_- I can't even use this as a backup drive, as the drive isn't large enough for that. A 12 TB drive is more realistically needed for that, and I was already resigned to buy that too to replace the old backup drive that just reported "8 Current Pending Sectors / 8 Uncorrectable Sectors" as of last Saturday ("Happy Easter" indeed -_-), when *this* problem started happening, and now I honestly don't even know what to do next or which fire to even pour water on. [/rambling]

:)

HedgeToaster, May 4, 2021
  2. MisterEd Win User

New Seagate harddrive disconnects until **power plug** is pulled

I have the following Seagate Expansion Desktop drive (STEB5000100 (5TB). I have been using it to backup one of my computers several years now. Disk Info is show below. Note the power on is only about 3 years even though the drive is 6 years old. That is because sometimes the computer and drive are not powered up.

New Seagate harddrive disconnects until **power plug** is pulled [​IMG]

Normally the computer and drive are sleeping. When the backup program wakes the computer it has no problem waking the backup drive. After the backup program is done the computer will go back to sleep. A few minutes later the backup drive will go to sleep.

As long as the backup drive has power it should either be awake or asleep. If I power down the computer and then power down the UPS then power is cut from the backup drive. When I power the UPS back on the backup drive then powers on too.

Seagate has a utility that can be used to check and set the sleep time.

Seagate Drive Settings
    Seagate Drive Settings |
    Seagate

MisterEd, May 5, 2021
  3. New Seagate harddrive disconnects until **power plug** is pulled

A brand-new, less-than-a-month-old external hard drive ("Seagate 8TB Expansion Desktop") randomly disconnects after a few hours (1.5 to 12? hours), and can only be reconnected after un/re-plugging the power plug from the power socket. Simply un/re-plugging the USB cable does not work.

This not only indicates potential future problems, but also makes the drive unusable for my purposes as I need to run long-running processes on it unsupervised.

The Amazon return period is about to expire on April 10th, but I already have important data on the drive I cannot currently move anywhere else! >_<

Help, what do I do?

What could even cause that problem? I'd kinda understand if un/re-plugging the USB cable would fix it, but I have to pull the drive's power plug.

It's like the hard drive needs to be rebooted? *Huh

This has happened 3 times in the last 3 days, 4 times total in under a month.

Could this sort of "disconnect", depending on the cause, cause damage to the data stored on its data in the long run?
    (Asides from the files being written to the drive at that moment, I mean.)

Is this a known issue? Is this a Windows 10 driver thing? Something as simple as "get a different cable" / "run program X" or "update driver Z"?

Or is this indicative of a hardware defect I cannot fix and should ask for a replacement drive?

Again, the drive is brand-new - and I've already got data on it I cannot move without buying another hard drive first, which couldn't possibly arrive in time before the Amazon return deadline. -_-

[rambling]

This puts me in a pretty bad spot to be honest.

I bought the new hard drive in kind of an emergency situation; not just one, but THREE of my external hard drives (which I bought years apart from each other, mind you) all decided to begin failing [Currently Pending Sectors] within less than 1 month of each other; one of which has the backup for the other two. -_-

I can't even use this as a backup drive, as the drive isn't large enough for that. A 12 TB drive is more realistically needed for that, and I was already resigned to buy that too to replace the old backup drive that just reported "8 Current Pending Sectors / 8 Uncorrectable Sectors" as of last Saturday ("Happy Easter" indeed -_-), when *this* problem started happening, and now I honestly don't even know what to do next or which fire to even pour water on. *Sick

[/rambling]

HedgeToaster, May 5, 2021
  4. New Seagate harddrive disconnects until **power plug** is pulled

Sorry, I didn't see there was a page 2, else I would've replied to you sooner.

I did not try that out (yet), though from the noise it makes when I pull the power plug I'd guess it does still spin until I do. Also, I noticed the "power on hours" counter is still going up after it disconnects itself. Seagate Dashboard says its Power Saving Mode is set to "Never", though one would assume it should stop once it is disconnected from the PC.

I did try out something else though:

When the hard drive disconnected itself this time, I didn't just go and unplug the power and plug it back in which had proved effective at reconnecting the drive. Instead I restarted my PC.

Logic would dictate if this is in any way a Windows issue, it would detect the drive after rebooting the PC.

It didn't.
    That verifies it's the drive's fault.

I even kept it like that for a few hours, plugged it into several different USB ports (including a USB 2.0 port) just as a test. When I pulled the power plug several hours later and plugged it back in, boom, harddrive reconnects itself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, while I don't have enough data points to tell what triggers the disconnect, I've tried to deliberately provoke it by slightly stressing the hard drive a bit, i.e., running these three processes simultaneously:

- run a batch download tool to download a moderately large number of files from an art gallery
    - run a "search and delete empty folders" tool on a folder with a few hundred empty directories
    - continuously create a large amount of ~100 byte sized files, about ~5 per second on average (as a by-product of running an actually relevant process, it wasn't meant as a stress-test tool)

I did not have to wait even an hour and the drive hung up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did talk to someone through Amazon's help chat thingy today.

They said that I can return the item after April 10th with no worries and get my money back.

Though when I asked how long I have to do so, if there's a specific deadline, say, May 10th or something, they said I can return the item within the next 2 years....?? That... doesn't sound right. There must've been some misunderstanding. Unfortunately the chat log erased itself the moment the talk was concluded. *Huh

Apologies to everyone else, I'll get around to replying to your contributions another time. New Seagate harddrive disconnects until **power plug** is pulled :)

HedgeToaster, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. New Seagate harddrive disconnects until **power plug** is pulled - Similar Threads - Seagate harddrive disconnects

2. Power Supply plug for Harddrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power Supply plug for Harddrive?: Hello, I got a Xigmatek Elysium case and a rx-530ss power supply. I recently got a new SSD and wanted to install it together with my 1tb HDD, but there is only one power cable, though it splits into another one backwards.I was wondering if its safe to use this cable together....
  3. Power Supply plug for Harddrive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power Supply plug for Harddrive?: Hello, I got a Xigmatek Elysium case and a rx-530ss power supply. I recently got a new SSD and wanted to install it together with my 1tb HDD, but there is only one power cable, though it splits into another one backwards.I was wondering if its safe to use this cable together....
  4. Power Supply plug for Harddrive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Internal Harddrive Disconnecting

Internal Harddrive Disconnecting: Hi there I made a grave mistake of forgetting that my internal harddrive 1tb was not screwed in when i picked up my pc to move it, and it fell out of its seating to the bottom of the case. Nothing seems to have gone wrong at first. A few times over the next two weeks the...
  6. Harddrive Disconnecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Harddrive Disconnecting: Hello. Lately My internal SATA harddrive randomly disconnects about once a week now, when I go into BIOS it is not listed anymore. I fixed this by disconnecting the SATA and power cables and reconnecting it and it works again, however this keeps happening and I'm not sure if...
  7. Harddrive Disconnecting

Harddrive Disconnecting: Hello. Lately My internal SATA harddrive randomly disconnects about once a week now, when I go into BIOS it is not listed anymore. I fixed this by disconnecting the SATA and power cables and reconnecting it and it works again, however this keeps happening and I'm not sure if...
  8. Harddrive Disconnecting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Back-up with seagate external harddrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up with seagate external harddrive: As others before, I got trouble to use my new seagate external hard drive with windows 10 on my laptop. Windows is recognizing the device and I can start the back-up process in Windows. But always I get the message that the back-up has begun. but even so, every time, after...
  10. Windows 10 stalls at boot, power plug pull fixes it.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 stalls at boot, power plug pull fixes it.: I think I have a PS problem but I'm not certain. Recently I've had problems with Windows 10 stalling upon startup at the Asus "enter BIOS" key screen. I then switch the PS off at the PS, pull the plug, wait about 30 secs and then reconnect PS and then press the computer start...