Windows 10: new secondary HDD not responding to power options

Discus and support new secondary HDD not responding to power options in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all. I got a new computer in October 2019. It's an HP Pavilion gaming desktop PC. It has a solid state drive as the primary drive and a 1 TB HDD as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by wvigotty, Dec 30, 2019.

1. wvigotty Win User

new secondary HDD not responding to power options

Hi all. I got a new computer in October 2019. It's an HP Pavilion gaming desktop PC. It has a solid state drive as the primary drive and a 1 TB HDD as the secondary drive. A few weeks ago I starting noticing a light clicking noise coming from the secondary drive. I decided to replace it. I bought the exact same drive on Amazon. It was a bare drive so I used Windows 10 disk management to install it. It is working well. However the problem I am having is the drive is not following the advanced power options. I have it set to turn off after 20 minutes of inactivity. Instead it turns off after about 10 to 15 seconds of inactivity. No matter how I change the advanced power settings, the disk shuts off after 10 to 15 seconds. I can't figure out how to get the drive to follow the power settings. Any help would be appreciated. My system specs should be listed below. Thanks, William

:)

wvigotty, Dec 30, 2019

2. Windows 10 Power Options Not working

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Use the hardware troubleshooter to fix the issue

The Hardware Troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues with it and provides the details and on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.
    Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key to get the Start menu.
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search box right up corner and hit enter.
    • Click on Troubleshooting tab.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner.
    • Select the power options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the power Troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Also I suggest you to create a new power plan and check if it helps.

• Go to control panel and then click on power options.
    • Then click on create new power plan.
    • Change the power plan accordingly and check.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Dec 30, 2019
  3. Louie Del Win User
    System not responding to changes to sleep/ power options

Hi,

The usual cause of the system not to respond with any changes that you’ve made to put it on sleep mode can be related to an incompatible device driver or a software conflict has occurred. Since you’ve taken some troubleshooting steps, let’s try to isolate
    this concern by starting your PC in safe mode. This will help us determine if there are default settings, application, and service that are causing the issue. Here are the steps:

• From Settings
    • Type Settings in the Search box.
    • Select Update & security > Recovery.
    • Under Advanced startup, select Restart now.
    • After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select
      Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings >
      Restart.
    • After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in
      Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for
      Safe Mode with Networking.
    • From the sign-in screen
    • Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select
      Power icon > Restart.
    • After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select
      Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings >
      Restart.
    • After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4
      or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select
      5 or F5 for Safe Mode with
      Networking
    Just in case that the issue won’t happen while in safe mode, this means the default settings and the basic drivers aren’t causing the computer not to respond to the changes.

In addition, we’d like to confirm if you’ve tried the Restore default settings for this plan option under
    Power Options. This will revert all the changes that you’ve made already and return to its original settings. It can also wipe these changes that you’ve previously made with the Power settings. Follow these steps:

• Type Power Options in the search box.
    • Select Change when computer sleeps.
    • Click Restore default settings for this plan.
    • Restart your PC and check the result.

We’re just here if you need further help.

Louie Del, Dec 30, 2019
  4. new secondary HDD not responding to power options

Windows 10 - Power Options - Closed (Laptop) Lid Glitch - 'Do Nothing' Option, Not Working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

I suggest you to perform the following troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Use the hardware troubleshooter to fix the issue

The Hardware Troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues with it and provides the details and on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter. Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key to get the Start menu.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search box right up corner and hit enter.

• Click on Troubleshooting tab.

• Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

• Select the power options from the list.

• Click Next to run the power Troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Also I suggest you to create a new power plan and check if it helps.

• Go to control panel and then click on
      power options.

• Then click on create new
      power plan.

• Change the power plan accordingly and check.
    Check if it helps.

I hope it helps. Keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Aswin_Anand, Dec 30, 2019
Thema:

new secondary HDD not responding to power options

1. new secondary HDD not responding to power options - Similar Threads - secondary HDD responding

2. Add a secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add a secondary HDD: This weekend I plan on getting a new computer that has a 1TB SSD only. I plan on taking the 4TB HDD out of this 12-year-old computer and using it as a secondary drive “D” drive. My 4TB HDD is about 2.5 years old and is a western digital that has 2 partitions on it. My current...
  3. Add a secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add a secondary HDD: This weekend I plan on getting a new computer that has a 1TB SSD only. I plan on taking the 4TB HDD out of this 12-year-old computer and using it as a secondary drive “D” drive. My 4TB HDD is about 2.5 years old and is a western digital that has 2 partitions on it. My current...
  4. Secondary HDD not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary HDD not showing: I got HP 15ay-543tu with windows 10 ver.1909 installed in it I istalled a new ssd with os in it to the main os boot space. And my older HDD as in DVD reader with caddy First few days it works fine, but suddenly it stopped showing in windows explorer, disk managment, device...
  5. Secondary HDD totally inaccessible

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Secondary HDD totally inaccessible: Recently I encountered system slowdown and instability on my Windows 10 PC. After trying a large amount of troubleshooting steps, I've almost fixed the problem by using "Reset This PC" to reinstall Windows without removing personal files. However, there's still one issue:...
  6. Secondary hdd boot error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Secondary hdd boot error: I have installed Windows on my ssd in my laptop.. I took off the cd-dvd case and put an hdd.. now when I turn on there's an error (0xc000000f).. I entered the bios and the boot order is ok.. however if I press esc several times I get the option to choose a boot drive.. so I...
  7. Secondary HDD Possibly Sleeping?

Secondary HDD Possibly Sleeping?: Hello, I have recently did a restore on the comp (cleaning the craps) and I can't remember how I fixed it before...but I'd like it so that Windows 10 doesn't put my secondary HDD asleep. I actually have programs on there I access and I've noticed a delay on launching...
  8. Power Options/Balanced HDD not turning off

Power Options/Balanced HDD not turning off: Hi, Despite "turn hard disk after" set to 10 minutes (or less for testing) in Power Options, HDDs won't turn off at all. They used to until yesterday. I have made no changes to the system only updated NVidia driver, but I can't tell if the issue started after update or...
  9. Secondary HDD not turning off

Secondary HDD not turning off: Hey guys, I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro yesterday and so far everything works great, the only problem is that my secondary HDD always stays on. I have a 128GB SSD as my main drive and an 750GB HDD as my secondary drive for games, pictures and stuff. Since the...
  10. My new Pc doesnt respond to power options

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My new Pc doesnt respond to power options: I had to buy a new license as Windows 10 download wouldn't work on new Pc hardware. Now pc wont sleep when set to do so,how do I rectify this Motherboard Asus x99 Deluxe u3.1 Intel i7 5820k cpu 3.3 Ghz 16.0 Gb 29416