Windows 10: New > Shortcut doesn't show up when right clicking on the desktop/file explorer

Discus and support New > Shortcut doesn't show up when right clicking on the desktop/file explorer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I want to create a shortcut on my desktop but this is all I see under the New menu. Can someone tell me how to get all the "New" Options? I'm the only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ben V2, May 8, 2023.

1. Ben V2 Win User

New > Shortcut doesn't show up when right clicking on the desktop/file explorer

I want to create a shortcut on my desktop but this is all I see under the New menu. Can someone tell me how to get all the "New" Options? I'm the only user on this PC.

:)

Ben V2, May 8, 2023

2. How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, May 8, 2023
  3. topgundcp Win User
    File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop

Download: ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows
    NOTE: download version 1.97 or later, else Restart Explorer won't work in step 4

1. This program does not require installation, just right click and run as Administrator
    2. From the menu, click on Options then click on Filter by Extension Type and select Context Menu. Also put check marks as shown

New > Shortcut doesn't show up when right clicking on the desktop/file explorer 87580d1485968696t-file-explorer-crashes-after-right-click-desktop-.png
    3. Click on the screen, Hold down CTRL Key+A to select all then click on the red button on top left corner to disable all.
    4. Click on the Options again and select Restart Explorer
    5. Now try to right click on desktop to see if it fixes your problem. If it does then start to enable one by one and repeat step 4 until the problem occurs again, that's the offending extension.

topgundcp, May 8, 2023
  4. New > Shortcut doesn't show up when right clicking on the desktop/file explorer

Explorer Not Showing All Desktop w/ Shortcuts Problem!

Normally on Windows 10, when I click 'Explorer' icon it shows files/folders but no shortcuts on my Desktop View!

So I'm checking to see how to change this so I see my complete Desktop view of icons, (just so I know what's there and not hidden in Explorer)! What I found is that in the list of locations, there are several labels that read 'DESKTOP'. But when you click
    on 'em some show desktop links and on others, they don't show desktop shortcuts. The difference is not denoted on the lists. All labels saying DESKTOP are different in how they display folders/files/links/etc inside the Windows 10 Explorer window!

MS should make them all the same and ESPECIALLY.... for the Explorer link on the desktop! If we want to see the desktop w/ everything in it we shouldn't have to hunt and peck through numerous labels tagged Desktop in the Explorer Tree to find the one that
    shows everything including links! Same Desktop labeled entry should show everything that's in that folder! ....many people make mistake of thinking it's in the Folder Settings. It's NOT for Explorer Views!

So what I want to do is at a TRUE DIRECT VIEW of what's really in the Desktop Folder in a Shortcut on the Desktop instead of the BAD Shortcut that ends up missing all the links/etc that one keeps hiding from me! How can I do that so I see FULL VIEW that
    if click the 2nd 'Desktop' label in list view I get to see EVERYTHING under any Desktop label when there is no designated differential? Thanks!

nonameanyname, May 8, 2023
Thema:

New > Shortcut doesn't show up when right clicking on the desktop/file explorer

1. New > Shortcut doesn't show up when right clicking on the desktop/file explorer - Similar Threads - Shortcut doesn't show

2. New > Shortcut doesn't show up when right clicking on the desktop/file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New > Shortcut doesn't show up when right clicking on the desktop/file explorer: I want to create a shortcut on my desktop but this is all I see under the New menu. Can someone tell me how to get all the "New" Options? I'm the only user on this PC....
  3. Desktop folder in file explorer doesn't show all the shortcuts on the desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop folder in file explorer doesn't show all the shortcuts on the desktop: I have multiple desktop shortcuts on my desktop, but not all of them are showing up in the windows file explorer folder view.I have enabled hidden folders, and have rebooted both the computer and file explorer multiple times.Image: https://ibb.co/n3df39p...
  4. Desktop folder in file explorer doesn't show all the shortcuts on the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop folder in file explorer doesn't show all the shortcuts on the desktop: I have multiple desktop shortcuts on my desktop, but not all of them are showing up in the windows file explorer folder view.I have enabled hidden folders, and have rebooted both the computer and file explorer multiple times.Image: https://ibb.co/n3df39p...
  5. Desktop folder in file explorer doesn't show all the shortcuts on the desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. My Desktop Or File Explorer Freezes When I Right Click On App Shortcuts To Run As...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Desktop Or File Explorer Freezes When I Right Click On App Shortcuts To Run As...: So Im Trying To Right Click App Shortcuts To Run As Administrator But Everytime I Do So, My Desktop Freezes. I Tried Doing It Again In File Explorer, But File Explorer Freezes Too. I Tried Restarting Explorer In Task Manager, It Stops Freezing But The Same Problem Still...
  7. My Desktop Or File Explorer Freezes When I Right Click On App Shortcuts To Run As...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Desktop Or File Explorer Freezes When I Right Click On App Shortcuts To Run As...: So Im Trying To Right Click App Shortcuts To Run As Administrator But Everytime I Do So, My Desktop Freezes. I Tried Doing It Again In File Explorer, But File Explorer Freezes Too. I Tried Restarting Explorer In Task Manager, It Stops Freezing But The Same Problem Still...
  8. Explorer.exe hangs when right clicking on desktop or in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Explorer.exe hangs when right clicking on desktop or in file explorer.: Basically it crashes when I right click in explorer application or desktop so I cant delete files using mouse or create files. Also first time today onedrive crashed with it and I was instantly able to right click again. Usually it goes away after 2minutes and happens again...
  9. Problem with Right-Clicking on Desktop and File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with Right-Clicking on Desktop and File Explorer: I'm having major issues with right clicking things on the desktop and with right clicking in file explorer. When I right click on both the desktop and in file explorer, I get the blue spinning circle and it never returns back to normal. The right clicking on desktop started...
  10. FIX Right-Click Desktop "New Folder" Brings Up Shortcut!

in Windows 10 Support
    FIX Right-Click Desktop "New Folder" Brings Up Shortcut!: This started last week and was driving me nuts. I finally found the solution this morning. It turned out to be a registry setting that I had to remove two entries. Open Regedit, Back Up The Registry First Go to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\ShellNew" Delete the two values...