Windows 10: New shortcut icon symbol?

Discus and support New shortcut icon symbol? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After reinstalling Windows 10 due to a problem I posted here, I started to reinstall programs. When I went to arrange the Desktop icons I noticed there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Paultx, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Paultx Win User

New shortcut icon symbol?

After reinstalling Windows 10 due to a problem I posted here, I started to reinstall programs. When I went to arrange the Desktop icons I noticed there are now two different styles in the shortcuts, one being the old arrow.

Besides the shortcuts, a new JPG image I saved on the Desktop also shows that new symbol. That is, it's not a shortcut, it's the very image.

Is it a novelty in the system or is it some kind of new problem?

New shortcut icon symbol? [​IMG]

Windows 10 Pro 1909 18363.778

:)

Paultx, Apr 20, 2020

2. Erroneous symbols at the bottom left corner of desktop icons

I'm running Windows 10 with the latest updates. A few days ago, the icons for objects on the desktop changed appearance. The icons are correct but
    all have a symbol at the bottom left corner:

• Shortcuts show the correct shortcut symbol
    • All files erroneously show a shortcut symbol
    • Almost all folders erroneously show a shortcut symbol
    • Some folders erroneously show "X"

The icons for files and folders (including the Desktop folder) displayed using File Explorer are all normal.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

KenSympson, Apr 20, 2020
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Apr 20, 2020
  4. New shortcut icon symbol?

Blank shortcut icon GPU-Z

I know I am quite late but as I was scrolling through I saw this post which happened to one of friend too. This sometimes happens with Windows. Usually a reboot will solve the problem. However if this doesn't, try setting the icon for the shortcut(right-click pinned icon, right-click program, left-click properties, select "change icon...") or refreshing it by switching to a different icon, applying it, and then reverting back to the original icon. Remove the shortcut from the taskbar and replace it with the start menu shortcut or simply drag the .exe file to the taskbar.

lorraine walsh, Apr 20, 2020
Thema:

New shortcut icon symbol?

1. New shortcut icon symbol? - Similar Threads - shortcut icon symbol

2. In Windows 11 when creating a shortcut, why is there no longer an Icon/Symbol on the corner...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In Windows 11 when creating a shortcut, why is there no longer an Icon/Symbol on the corner...: In Windows 11, when creating a shortcut, why is there no longer an Icon or Symbol indicating status on the corner of the folder icon? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-windows-11-when-creating-a-shortcut-why-is/0315bd7b-96a1-468c-be2f-85225ff4045b
  3. In Windows 11 when creating a shortcut, why is there no longer an Icon/Symbol on the corner...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In Windows 11 when creating a shortcut, why is there no longer an Icon/Symbol on the corner...: In Windows 11, when creating a shortcut, why is there no longer an Icon or Symbol indicating status on the corner of the folder icon? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-windows-11-when-creating-a-shortcut-why-is/0315bd7b-96a1-468c-be2f-85225ff4045b
  4. Remove the shortcut from @ symbol

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove the shortcut from @ symbol: Hello!I have a problem, after installing some software I've got a problem when I try to click on the @ symbol.It won't write it , it just opens the software, like a shortcut.I've tried to see under properties, under shortcut, but there is no keyboard key combinations under...
  5. Remove the shortcut from @ symbol

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove the shortcut from @ symbol: Hello!I have a problem, after installing some software I've got a problem when I try to click on the @ symbol.It won't write it , it just opens the software, like a shortcut.I've tried to see under properties, under shortcut, but there is no keyboard key combinations under...
  6. Remove the shortcut from @ symbol

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Shortcut Icon

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shortcut Icon: I created a custom app icon in procreate and imported it onto my laptop. I converted it to an icon file and the resolution was exactly the same, but when I apply the icon to the short cut the quality is pixilated. When I make the icons smaller it makes it worse. What's...
  8. Keyboard shortcut for the Nigerian Naira ₦ symbol

Keyboard shortcut for the Nigerian Naira ₦ symbol: Can I create a keyboard shortcut for the symbol ₦, then remap it to shift + 4? I have PowerToys, but can't figure how to do this with its Keyboard remapper....
  9. My icon shortcut symbol keeps getting replaced by random symbols, should I be worried?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My icon shortcut symbol keeps getting replaced by random symbols, should I be worried?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TwaTwa02 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ffmh73/my_icon_shortcut_symbol_keeps_getting_replaced_by/
  10. Changing the icons for new shortcuts and folders

Changing the icons for new shortcuts and folders: Would it be possible to get copies of the cool icons you use on your Windows TenForums tutorial pages? Example: the disk drive with the reverse circle for system restore. 19589