Windows 10: New Silex malware is bricking IoT devices

Discus and support New Silex malware is bricking IoT devices in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A new strain of malware is wiping the firmware of IoT devices in attacks reminiscent of the old BrickerBot malware that destroyed millions of devices... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Brink Win User

New Silex malware is bricking IoT devices

Read more: New Silex malware is bricking IoT devices, has scary plans | ZDNet

:)

Brink, Jun 27, 2019

2. Windows IoT Editions & New Device

Hi Harsh,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to refer to the link below for downloading the Windows 10 IoT editions.

Windows 10 IoT Core for Raspberry Pi 2:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48232

I suggest to refer to the Microsoft Help Article for downloading the Windows 10 IoT Editions. Check if it helps.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/windows-iot

If you have further queries regarding the issue related to Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, then I recommend you to post your queries in the TechNet forum. We have the dedicated team to help you better.

Technet forums - Windows 10 IT Pro

Note: Regarding the installation of normal desktop/pc platform Windows 10 on my small board, I suggest you to refer to the System requirement for installing Windows 10 on the Devices.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/windows-10-specifications

Please get back to us with an update on issue with download different edition of Windows 10 LoT editions, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jun 27, 2019
  3. btarunr Win User
    Silex Expands Product Line With High-Performance Gigabit and 802.11n USB Device

Silex Technology, a global leader in wired and wireless networking solutions, today announced the SX-DS-3000WAN and SX-DS-4000U2 USB device servers designed to allow users to easily connect virtually any USB device on a wired or wireless network with two hi-speed USB ports.

The SX-DS-3000WAN supports dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n wireless local area networks (WLANs) as well as Gigabit Ethernet wired networks. The SX-DS-4000U2, with an 800 MHz CPU, is a high performance Gigabit Ethernet USB device server designed for high speed applications including scanners, webcams and other peripherals where fast throughput is a requirement.

New Silex malware is bricking IoT devices 231a_thm.jpg

New Silex malware is bricking IoT devices 231b_thm.jpg

SX-DS-3000WAN features:
    • USB device server with up to 300Mbit dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN
    • Gigabit Ethernet with automatic detection of 10/100/1000BASE-T
    • 802.11a/b/g/n dual band wireless
    • Two USB 2.0 Hi-Speed ports
    • WPS for easy wireless installation
    SX-DS-4000U2 features:
    • USB device server with high-performance Gigabit Ethernet
    • High-performance 800 MHz CPU
    • Gigabit Ethernet with automatic detection of 10/100/1000BASE-T
    • Two USB 2.0 Hi-Speed ports with support for isochronous USB streaming data transfer
    "With over five million deployments of our USB over IP technology, Silex continues to develop to the latest networking standards to offer the highest-performing products," said Keith Sugawara, vice president of business development for Silex Technology America. "We are excited to expand our product offering for applications where high-throughput is both beneficial and required."

The SX-DS-3000WAN and SX-DS-4000U2 will be available through distribution in June 2012.
    To learn more about these and Silex's full line of wired and wireless networking solutions for USB devices, please visit this page.

btarunr, Jun 27, 2019
  4. IoTGirl Win User

Windows 10 Enterprise IoT

Hi David,

Embedded Mode can be set in Windows Enterprise and Windows Mobile versions. For target options please see the definitions at

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/windows-iot
    From that page:

Windows 10 IoT Enterprise

Windows 10 IoT Enterprise is a full version of Windows 10 that delivers the enterprise manageability and security of Windows 10 Enterprise to IoT solutions. It is designed for powerful industry devices used in retail, manufacturing, healthcare, and other
    industries. Windows 10 IoT Enterprise runs crucial line of business applications and performs specialized functions in a secure, reliable and streamlined way to support mission-critical devices.

LEARN MORE ABOUT MANAGING AND UPDATING WINDOWS 10 IOT

*Note that Windows 10 IoT Enterprise is a binary equivalent to Windows 10 Enterprise

Windows 10 IoT Mobile

Windows 10 IoT Mobile brings the full functionality of Windows 10 Mobile to the Internet of Things. That includes instantaneous application access, native support for barcode scanning, and other peripherals, as well as enhanced productivity for a variety
    of mobile scenarios.

The Mobile Enterprise editions also offer capabilities such as ARM support, multiple user profiles, and advanced lockdown to enable scenarios across retail, healthcare, manufacturing and other vertical industries.

LEARN MORE ABOUT WINDOWS 10 IOT MOBILE

*Note that Windows 10 IoT Mobile is a binary equivalent to Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise

Windows 10 IoT Core

Windows 10 IoT Core is optimized for small-footprint, low-cost IoT devices that bring intelligence to the edge. It is designed to power purpose-built devices like gateways that enable IoT solutions. Windows 10 IoT Core also brings enterprise-grade security,
    manageability, and connectivity of Windows to a new class of devices.

Below are the steps to bring your IoT Core powered devices to life:

• Click to
      Download
      IoT Core
    • Learn more about how to create applications and build proof of concepts and leverage step-by-step instructions, sample
      code, documentation, community projects and more…
    • Ready to sell your product?
      Commercialize
      your device or
      Find
      your local distributor.

Actually, IoT Core does not have a menu, that is the default application that comes installed on the sample image from Microsoft. When you create your device you would replace that default experience with the purpose driven application for your solution.
    As for securing an IoT device, it really depends on its purpose and environment but for information on IoT Core you can find documentation at WindowsOnDevices.com. Specifically

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/docs/buildingsecuredevices

Sincerely,

IoTGirl, Jun 27, 2019
Thema:

1. New Silex malware is bricking IoT devices - Similar Threads - Silex malware bricking

2. Transfer Windows licence from bricked device to new device.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows licence from bricked device to new device.: Hi,I've been in contact with tech support for months and they claim that it is impossible, but I refuse to believe that Windows does not have a protocol to deal with licence transfers from damaged devices.I bought a Windows 11 licence through the Windows store, activated it...
  3. Transfer Windows licence from bricked device to new device.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer Windows licence from bricked device to new device.: Hi,I've been in contact with tech support for months and they claim that it is impossible, but I refuse to believe that Windows does not have a protocol to deal with licence transfers from damaged devices.I bought a Windows 11 licence through the Windows store, activated it...
  4. Build your IoT devices with Windows for IoT

in Windows 10 News
    Build your IoT devices with Windows for IoT: [img] Embedded computing has been around for a number of years. Recent advances in computing such as artificial intelligence, more powerful sensors, and container technology are unlocking new scenarios and creating new paradigms for device developers. As Artificial...
  5. New Windows update bricked my device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Windows update bricked my device: Hello! I have an MSI and yesterday after many many notifications that my device requires an update I finally gave in and clicked on Update Now. Everything went fine until my laptop restarted and I was hit with the infamous blue screen YOUR DEVICE RAN INTO A PROBLEM AND...
  6. New update bricked my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New update bricked my computer: This morning my computer worked perfectly fine. Then i installed an update and now my computer doesn’t work anymore. I believe it corrupted my start up files. Tried to restart from backup and it doesn’t work ether. Now it turns on and i enter the administrative password and...
  7. New exploit lets attackers take control of Windows IoT Core devices

in Windows 10 News
    New exploit lets attackers take control of Windows IoT Core devices: Speaking at a conference today, a security researcher has revealed a new exploit impacting the Windows IoT Core operating system that gives threat actors full control over vulnerable devices. The vulnerability, discovered by Dor Azouri, a security researcher for SafeBreach,...
  8. New Intel Atom E3900 processors for IoT

in Windows 10 News
    New Intel Atom E3900 processors for IoT: On Oct. 25, 2016, Intel announced the Intel® Atom™ Processor E3900 Series (Apollo Lake). Jonathan Ballon introduced the new processor as part of his keynote at the IoT Solutions World Congress in Barcelona. Intel supports the expansion of the Internet of Things (IoT) and...
  9. New and updated Microsoft IoT Kits

in Windows 10 News
    New and updated Microsoft IoT Kits: Earlier this month, we released to customers around the world a new Windows Insider version of Windows 10 IoT Core that supports the brand new Intel® Joule™. We’ve been working hard on Windows 10 IoT Core, we’re proud of the quality and capability of IoT Core Insider releases...
  10. Device to Device Communication with Azure IoT Hub

in Windows 10 News
    Device to Device Communication with Azure IoT Hub: We’ve already seen how to get your devices to send data to the cloud. In most cases, the data is then processed by various Azure services. However, in some cases the cloud is nothing more than a means of communication between two devices. Imagine a Raspberry Pi connected...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bricking hdd malware