Windows 10: NEW SSD and Diskmgmt partiion question

Discus and support NEW SSD and Diskmgmt partiion question in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi All First Question of the day #1 is Diskmgmt, SSD is the boot drive, Western digital blue 250gb, and 2tb Toshiba secondary storage drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AMDMan2016, Mar 18, 2017.

1. NEW SSD and Diskmgmt partiion question

Hi All

First Question of the day #1 is Diskmgmt, SSD is the boot drive, Western digital blue 250gb, and 2tb Toshiba secondary storage drive

#2 Question if I ever wanted to do a Clean Windows Install, do I use the Secure Erase USB flash drive I made, secure erase the ssd, and then do the clean install? (very very new to me using SSD Drive still)

and Still using Microsoft AHCI driver, as didn't think the latest AMD chipset drivers would work or not, probably a mistake not installing AMD AHCI driver, but knowing me common lol

:)

AMDMan2016, Mar 18, 2017

2. Upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

Disconnected all but drives C (os drive) and drive (P) which is a pcie ssd drive. same results. here is a image of diskmgmt
    NEW SSD and Diskmgmt partiion question [​IMG]

ChrisBaker82, Mar 18, 2017
  3. HDD to new SSD Question

I'm going to upgrade my laptop with a SSD along side my HDD which currently has windows 10 on it, or course. My question is, is it possible to move that version of windows 10 on the new SSD and boot it from there or do I just have to run a clean version
    from the SSD?

Rodrick Boley, Mar 18, 2017
  4. kipper Win User

NEW SSD and Diskmgmt partiion question

Question #1 seems more like a statement and not a question......

Question #2: For a fresh install of Win 10 I would disconnect the second drive then boot to your Win 10 media and select the custom install and let Windows setup the SSD for you......in the install window delete all existing partitions that show and then select the only one remaining to install windows on.........then Windows will setup the drive correctly and begin the fresh install.....

kipper, Mar 18, 2017
  5. Oh ok if some point I feel like I need a fresh install, will do that route, original install was clean, but I had both drives connected at the time.

Still learning on Aspects of SSD usage, still very new to me, so I guess still a lot to learn myself on it

AMDMan2016, Mar 18, 2017
  6. kipper Win User
    Having both drives connected is OK........but you need to be careful and not pick it or any of it's partitions to install to.......just safest to disconnect all other drives until you finish the install....

kipper, Mar 18, 2017
  7. Right knows that now, and will remember to disconnect the second drive in the future prior to clean install onto SSD. Knows SSD has limited writes, so don't think doing a clean install when Creators update comes out, I might be overly cautious on that regard lol

Thanks for this forum though, i'm a little less cautious than when I first installed it, day I first installed it was making sure nothing installed on SSD, besides Windows, and programs wanted on there, Moved as much folders, and files I could to Secondary D drive.

AMDMan2016, Mar 18, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User

Previous versions of Windows have been known to install parts of itself on secondary drives so when the time came to remove the drive, it would cause problems booting up to Windows.

swarfega, Mar 18, 2017
  9. Ohhh so should I redo the installation when Creators update comes out, I guess I might, since do see some of possibly boot partitions on Secondary D drive according to Disk management screenshot there, looks like it put the Recovery partition based on that screenshot on D drive, and yet removed all the paritions when I did the install in Windows Setup there

AMDMan2016, Mar 18, 2017
  10. kipper Win User
    Looking at your screen shot........did you do the install in legacy or UEFI..........

Your SSD should look something like this if you did UEFI...

NEW SSD and Diskmgmt partiion question [​IMG]

kipper, Mar 18, 2017
  11. UEFI, Msinfo32 even shows UEFI mode, unless didn't take right due to second hard drive being connected, but I know Msinfo32 does show Bios mode UEFI, and not legacy

Guess I may redo it when Creators update is out, Hopefully won't add too much writing to SSD drive, and have it perfectly in UEFI mode, and then can make sure not too much data is on SSD, might even move App data entire folder over to Secondary drive possibly at that time, still debating If I need to on that

AMDMan2016, Mar 18, 2017
  12. topgundcp Win User
    Although your Windows is running fine. However, the first 2 partitions of disk 0 (450MB and 100MB) containing the Recovery and Boot should be on disk 1 before C Drive. If you disconnect D drive then your Windows won't boot.

BTW, SSD is the same as HD on how they work.

topgundcp, Mar 18, 2017
  13. NEW SSD and Diskmgmt partiion question

Yeah i'm gonna have to do a clean install to fix that no matter what it appears...Don't know how those ended up on D drive, as I don't remember clicking anything with that drive during the clean install onto SSD, but at least fixable issue, (time consuming a bit to fix)

Will fix when Creators update is released I think, as that comes out in April, so not too far away at this point

AMDMan2016, Mar 18, 2017
  14. kipper Win User
    If you had partitioning software you could copy partitions from drive to drive and if that fails do a fresh install.....but as said above do not disconnect your D drive or you will not boot up the way it is now.....

kipper, Mar 18, 2017
  15. Yes not planning to Disconnect D drive, don't have partitioning software, so thinking probably will end up doing Fresh install, and should be all well then I hope

AMDMan2016, Mar 18, 2017
Thema:

1. NEW SSD and Diskmgmt partiion question - Similar Threads - SSD Diskmgmt partiion

2. SSD question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD question: Hello, I have a question. I have bought a 1TB SSD from crucial.com Crucial MX500 1000GB 2.5 inch SSD. My SSD that Is installed on the computer is a 250GB SSD. Should I get rid of the 250GB SSD and go ahead and buy a new Operating System Windows 10 Home which is the cheapest,...
  3. New SSD User Trim question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    New SSD User Trim question: Hi, So finally I made an upgrade to an SSD for use in my boot drive. a 240GB one specifically. I made a fresh install of Windows 10 last week ago in this SSD, went to confirm if TRIM is enabled then confirmed it is on. Now, I went to disk defrag and saw this: Do I click...
  4. Question about intalling windows on new ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about intalling windows on new ssd: I currently hava a SATA SSD and im getting a new one m.2 nvme. Do i have to re-install window on my new ssd to get the most benefits, or im fine keeping just windows on the old ssd and re-install my other programs on the new one. Im just lazy and i dont want to format...
  5. Question about new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about new SSD: Hi, I'll get straight to the point. I've been using my HDD for a long time now and I tried to update my windows and it just wont update. Not through the updater integrated in windows, the update asistant or even using the image tool ISO or direct Upgrade. It just keeps on...
  6. New SSD for wife's laptop question

New SSD for wife's laptop question: Trying to speed up wife's laptop. All set to buy internal SSD. Is it as simple as connecting the SSD to the laptop with a USB to SATA adapter, and them asking Macrium to do an image to the SSD ? Then swap out the old spinner. 144337
  7. Installing New SSD Questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing New SSD Questions: Hello, I am installing a new SSD in my younger brothers PC and just want to make sure that I know what I am doing before I do it. Against my better judgement he bought a prebuilt PC from bestbuy that didnt come with an SSD so naturally his OS is on a HDD, my question is what...
  8. SSD questions, new to SSD drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD questions, new to SSD drives: Does a SSD drive need to be defrag? I read some say no and some say yes. Now it should just be swapped out with my old drive with the same plugs, right? This is only a extra drive not my booting drive. It there any other things I need to do or know, thanks! 133735
  9. SSD questions, new to SSD drives

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD questions, new to SSD drives: Does a SSD drive need to be defrag? I read some say no and some say yes. Now it should just be swapped out with my old drive with the same plugs, right? This is only a extra drive not my booting drive. It there any other things I need to do or know, thanks! 133735
  10. SSD question

SSD question: Samsung Magician isn't Win 10 ready. Can I uninstall it? Will Win 10 properly manage my SSD without Magician? Sometimes my PC will not shut down. It powers off, but a few seconds later reboots. I suspect Magician and Windows incompatibility. Early reports of Win 10...