Windows 10: New SSD detected as Disk 1 but "No Media" and 0 mb space.

Discus and support New SSD detected as Disk 1 but "No Media" and 0 mb space. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have recently purchased a 1TB XPG SX8100 M.2 2280 PCIe SSD to replace my old 256 SSD in my laptop. My laptop is a Dell XPS 15 9550. I first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Canada1440, May 4, 2020.

1. New SSD detected as Disk 1 but "No Media" and 0 mb space.

Hi,

I have recently purchased a 1TB XPG SX8100 M.2 2280 PCIe SSD to replace my old 256 SSD in my laptop. My laptop is a Dell XPS 15 9550.

I first want to copy the entirety of my original drive onto the new one and then install the 1TB properly inside the PCIe slot. I have purchased a WavLink USB-C Gen 2 M.2 SSD Enclosure so that I could copy the files onto the 1TB drive. However, plugging in the enclosure using USB-C to USB-C I get no new drives showing up in the disk manager at all.

I also tried using USB-C to USB-A. This is what the disk manager looks like when I use that method. New SSD detected as Disk 1 but "No Media" and 0 mb space. aa1b1675-c7b2-4fcc-a52f-34a7003cabc9?upload=true.jpg

Most forums online say to right-click on the new disk Disk 1 and to format it, but I am only left with the option of "Change Drive Letter and Paths" which does not seem to be helpful.

Using the command prompt, I opened diskpart and this is what happens when I ask for the list of disks:

New SSD detected as Disk 1 but "No Media" and 0 mb space. 1cb6498d-0c22-4e54-a12e-aa00e5fc30ad?upload=true.jpg

I tried running "clean" on disk 1 and the following prompt was given "Virtual Disk Service error: There is no media in the device."

I have checked all usb drivers and made sure there are up to date and I have restarted the computer many times. I have fully run out of ideas...

Any help would be much appreciated!

:)

Canada1440, May 4, 2020

2. switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

Hi, My computer contained a normal HDD hard drive. I recently upgraded to a SSD. The original HDD is Disk 0 and the new SSD is Disk 1. The windows OS is on Disk 1. I want to dual boot my system with Windows and Ubuntu with both OS being on the SSD. Since
    the SSD is Disk 1 the Ubuntu install goes directly to Disk 0 because Disk 0 is first on the list. How can I switch the two Disks so my SSD drive is Disk 0? Thanks.

Katie Witkin, May 4, 2020
  3. System Reserved Partition on Disk 1 not Disk 0

The results were the same as before: Windows is installed in a single 477 GB partition on Disk 0 and the System Reserved is in a 500 MB partition on Drive 1. The rest of Drive 1 is unallocated. This is identical to the configuration I had when I asked the
    question.

The Media Creation Tool used to created the install ISO DVD is v. 10.0.14393 downloaded on 12/13/2016.

I followed your instructions:

• I selected Drive 0 and deleted the existing Windows partition.
    • I clicked New and Apply. Windows then formatted Drive 0 as a single primary partition.
    • The existing System Reserved partition was still on Drive 1.
    • So I deleted the System Reserved partition on Drive 1 and the just created Primary partition on Drive 0
    • I then selected Drive 0 and clicked New and Apply again. Same result a single Primary partition on Drive 0. Drive 1 was left unallocated.
    • Upon completion of the install
      • Windows occupies about 15 GB in the only partition on Drive 0
      • The 500 MB System Reserved partition was placed on Drive 1
      • The rest of Drive 1 is unallocated.

How can I get the System Reserved partition to be placed as the Partition 1 on Drive 0 with Windows installed in Partition 2?

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, May 4, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

New SSD detected as Disk 1 but "No Media" and 0 mb space.

switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

Hi Kati

When you added the new SSD did you connect that to the SATA port on the motherboard that the original hard drive was connected to, or to another port?

If you swap round the SATA ports on your Motherboard for those drives and change the boot order in BIOS to boot form SATA port 0 (the SSD), then the SSD should be Disk 0 and the HDD disk 1 . ..

DaveM121, May 4, 2020
Thema:

New SSD detected as Disk 1 but "No Media" and 0 mb space.

1. New SSD detected as Disk 1 but "No Media" and 0 mb space. - Similar Threads - SSD detected Disk

2. Disk 0 and disk 1 storage space issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk 0 and disk 1 storage space issue: HiAny suggestions on what i can do to rectify storage space issues on this setup would be greatly appreciated. I have all my photos files personal docs etc on disc 1 D: but disc 0 C:is still maxed out....
  3. Disk 0 and disk 1 storage space issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk 0 and disk 1 storage space issue: HiAny suggestions on what i can do to rectify storage space issues on this setup would be greatly appreciated. I have all my photos files personal docs etc on disc 1 D: but disc 0 C:is still maxed out....
  4. Disk 0 and disk 1 storage space issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. unallocated space on disk 0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unallocated space on disk 0: i have windows and everything on disk 0 6tb but i saw it was getting full so i got a 4tb disk for backup. then i see that disk 0 s only using 2tb while the rest is unallocated. tried to extend volume gives error only first 2tb are usable on large mbr disks. conot create...
  6. USB detected as "Disk" AND "Disk 1" but "No Media" and 0 mb space.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB detected as "Disk" AND "Disk 1" but "No Media" and 0 mb space.: This is similar to other questions about SSD drives not recognized by Windows. I was copying files from C:\Users on my old PC to a Verico 256Gig USB Flash Drive. It must have copied a file that caused the USB Flash Drive to start but it doesn't configure. Instead,...
  7. Windows 10 install, drive 0 unallocated space 0 MB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 install, drive 0 unallocated space 0 MB: Hi, My HP laptop hdd died. This HP laptop came with windows 10 64 bit, and is activated by the motherboard. I replaced this hdd by another one. This drive is not damaged at all, checked many ways, and the Bios/uefi detect it. I tried to install an os with Windows 8.1 usb and...
  8. Disk Management as Disk 0 and Disk 1

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Management as Disk 0 and Disk 1: My computer contained an OS Boot C SSD and a regular OEM HDD hard drive. I recently updated my 256GB OEM SSD to a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe - M2. After cloning my old OEN SSD using Samsung Data Migration Tool to the new disk, and replacing the old one with the new...
  9. Windows 10 installation, disk 0 has 0 mb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 installation, disk 0 has 0 mb: I'm gonna start from the beginning, I wanted to set up dual booting with windows 10 which i already had and with linux. Somewhere along the line it messed up and partioned my hard drive replacing windows 10 with linux. I then tried to reinstall windows 10 off of a USB that...
  10. switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

in Windows 10 Customization
    switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0: Hi, My computer contained a normal HDD hard drive. I recently upgraded to a SSD. The original HDD is Disk 0 and the new SSD is Disk 1. The windows OS is on Disk 1. I want to dual boot my system with Windows and Ubuntu with both OS being on the SSD. Since the SSD is Disk 1 the...