Windows 10: New SSD for wife's laptop question

Discus and support New SSD for wife's laptop question in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Trying to speed up wife's laptop. All set to buy internal SSD. Is it as simple as connecting the SSD to the laptop with a USB to SATA adapter, and them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by smalltown, Nov 13, 2019.

1. smalltown Win User

New SSD for wife's laptop question

Trying to speed up wife's laptop. All set to buy internal SSD.
    Is it as simple as connecting the SSD to the laptop with a USB to SATA adapter, and them asking Macrium to do an image to the SSD ? Then swap out the old spinner.

:)

smalltown, Nov 13, 2019

2. HDD to new SSD Question

I'm going to upgrade my laptop with a SSD along side my HDD which currently has windows 10 on it, or course. My question is, is it possible to move that version of windows 10 on the new SSD and boot it from there or do I just have to run a clean version
    from the SSD?

Rodrick Boley, Nov 13, 2019
  3. MoonOS Win User
    Installing New SSD Questions

Hello, I am installing a new SSD in my younger brothers PC and just want to make sure that I know what I am doing before I do it. Against my better judgement he bought a prebuilt PC from bestbuy that didnt come with an SSD so naturally his OS is on a HDD,
    my question is what are the steps I should take to move his windows OS to the new SSD, start fresh with just windows, but keep it so it is the full paid version of window and he dosent need another key. Please help me understand so I do not brick his pc, thank
    you.

MoonOS, Nov 13, 2019
  4. New SSD for wife's laptop question

SSD stops and freezes laptop

Couple of updates:

1. I created a Linux boot USB key, and monitored my SSD under Linux, so this is evidently not a Windows issue, and
    2. I loaded new firmware for the SSD, and my system seems to be functioning normally now. What a pleasure using a PC that doesn't consistently freeze up.

Thanks to all y'all for your suggestions!

Regards,

Dave

DavidMiller36415, Nov 13, 2019
Thema:

New SSD for wife's laptop question

1. New SSD for wife's laptop question - Similar Threads - SSD wife's laptop

2. New SSD User Trim question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    New SSD User Trim question: Hi, So finally I made an upgrade to an SSD for use in my boot drive. a 240GB one specifically. I made a fresh install of Windows 10 last week ago in this SSD, went to confirm if TRIM is enabled then confirmed it is on. Now, I went to disk defrag and saw this: Do I click...
  3. Wifes laptop overheating

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wifes laptop overheating: Hello people, Not sure if you guys are the right ones to ask but I'll give it a go. My wife prefers a laptop to a desktop and her 4 year old HP started shutting down and telling her its overheating. Installing Speccy and watching the temp it sure seems that way. It's also...
  4. Wifes laptop overheating

in Windows 10 Support
    Wifes laptop overheating: Hello people, Not sure if you guys are the right ones to ask but I'll give it a go. My wife prefers a laptop to a desktop and her 4 year old HP started shutting down and telling her its overheating. Installing Speccy and watching the temp it sure seems that way. It's also...
  5. Question about new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about new SSD: Hi, I'll get straight to the point. I've been using my HDD for a long time now and I tried to update my windows and it just wont update. Not through the updater integrated in windows, the update asistant or even using the image tool ISO or direct Upgrade. It just keeps on...
  6. Installing New SSD Questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing New SSD Questions: Hello, I am installing a new SSD in my younger brothers PC and just want to make sure that I know what I am doing before I do it. Against my better judgement he bought a prebuilt PC from bestbuy that didnt come with an SSD so naturally his OS is on a HDD, my question is what...
  7. Question on adding a "local account" to my wife's laptop.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Question on adding a "local account" to my wife's laptop.: My wife uses a Dell laptop with Windows 10 Home on it. She does not sign into any Microsoft account when using the laptop, I believe her account is called a Local Account. I would like to create my own Local Account as an administrator so I can install my own software on the...
  8. SSD questions, new to SSD drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD questions, new to SSD drives: Does a SSD drive need to be defrag? I read some say no and some say yes. Now it should just be swapped out with my old drive with the same plugs, right? This is only a extra drive not my booting drive. It there any other things I need to do or know, thanks! 133735
  9. SSD questions, new to SSD drives

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD questions, new to SSD drives: Does a SSD drive need to be defrag? I read some say no and some say yes. Now it should just be swapped out with my old drive with the same plugs, right? This is only a extra drive not my booting drive. It there any other things I need to do or know, thanks! 133735
  10. NEW SSD and Diskmgmt partiion question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NEW SSD and Diskmgmt partiion question: Hi All First Question of the day #1 is Diskmgmt, SSD is the boot drive, Western digital blue 250gb, and 2tb Toshiba secondary storage drive #2 Question if I ever wanted to do a Clean Windows Install, do I use the Secure Erase USB flash drive I made, secure erase the...