Windows 10: New SSD has successfully cloned OS, but won't boot (Non-system disk)

Discus and support New SSD has successfully cloned OS, but won't boot (Non-system disk) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Fully operational perfectly running OS and Programs on old SSD. Macrium showed successful cloning (verified) to new SSD. Removed old and installed new.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Wisewiz, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Wisewiz Win User

New SSD has successfully cloned OS, but won't boot (Non-system disk)

Fully operational perfectly running OS and Programs on old SSD. Macrium showed successful cloning (verified) to new SSD. Removed old and installed new. Non-system disk error.
    Used W10 ISO CD to get to repair mode. Repair failed.
    Went to CMD prompt (still using ISO disc) and used diskpart. All volumes showed, but all letters wrong. Used diskpart to change all letters and remove letter from small Recovery volume. All letters showed as correct on new SSD (and on second SSD, which was not involved in this switch of new and old System+programs SSDs). Reset BIOS to boot from Disk 0 (new SSD). Boot attempt produced Non-system disk error.
    Used ISO to get back to diskpart. All volumes showed wrong letters again (same ones). Tried again. Repeated startup attempt. Non-system disk error.
    I thought this was going to be easy: Clone old System+data SSD to new SSD, swap out old for new, boot, and the system runs perfectly from the new SSD (which now has a new lease on life). WRONG.
    Please offer suggestions (other than re-install old SSD and carry on until it fails). I love and depend on this forum.

Please take care in this dangerous period of our lives.
    W10 1909

:)

Wisewiz, Mar 24, 2020
  2. Antrotan Win User

Windows 10 deactivated on new cloned SSD

Well it would appear the issue was solved!

What I did was re-insert and boot the original SSD went into Settings

Selected Accounts

Clicked on Manage my Microsoft account, got a message stating the account needed to be updated

After that was done, I cloned the new SSD again

On the cloned SSD entered command prompt, used the slmgr with my product key command (was entered successfully)

Then used the slmgr /ato command...and voila, Windows was reactivated successfully!

So thank you all for the possible solutions you suggested. I will keep monitoring the system as time goes by.

Antrotan, Mar 24, 2020
  3. Static~Charge, Mar 24, 2020
  4. Protik Win User

Issues booting from cloned ssd

I use a L440 Thinkpad with windows 10. Recently I decided to upgrade my laptop which have a regular HDD. So bought a 480GB Sandisk SSD, mounted that to a caddy. Then replaced my optical drive with that caddy. When I turned on my laptop the SSD showed up
    in "disk management". Formatted it with GPT by following the instructions available online. Then cloned the disk using EaseUS Todo backup. Everything is cloned successfully. But unfortunately I cannot boot from the SSD. Even the SSD doesn't show up in the
    boot order.

Following various internet forums tried disabling "Secure boot" and choosing "Legacy only" from BIOS. But nothing works. It is to be noted that both my HDD and SSD are connected. As per instructions I shutdown right after cloning the disk into SSD, but nothing.
    Any help regarding how can I boot from SSD?

Protik, Mar 24, 2020
Thema:

1. New SSD has successfully cloned OS, but won't boot (Non-system disk) - Similar Threads - SSD has successfully

2. Cloning an OS to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning an OS to a new SSD: Hi there! I bought a tower from a friends company but had to buy a new SSD that did have an OS installed onto it. I was wondering how I can go about cloning my current OS from my laptop onto the new SSD so I can use the tower. I have found numerous videos showing how to clone...
  3. Cloning an OS to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning an OS to a new SSD: Hi there! I bought a tower from a friends company but had to buy a new SSD that did have an OS installed onto it. I was wondering how I can go about cloning my current OS from my laptop onto the new SSD so I can use the tower. I have found numerous videos showing how to clone...
  4. Cloning an OS to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk: Hi, I have purchased a Crucial MX500 to increase storage over the existing 250GB SSD I have tried to use Crucial's clone software (Acronis), and also Media Creation but the clone fails every time, (well it doesn't fail but the new SSD is not bootable). I have run chkdsk for...
  6. Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to clone new SSD for System Disk: Hi, I have purchased a Crucial MX500 to increase storage over the existing 250GB SSD I have tried to use Crucial's clone software (Acronis), and also Media Creation but the clone fails every time, (well it doesn't fail but the new SSD is not bootable). I have run chkdsk for...
  7. SSD Cloned but won't boot

SSD Cloned but won't boot: Greetings, I am trying to upgrade my laptop SSD into a larger size NVME. After looking up how to do that, I used Macrium Reflect to clone my old SSD into the new one. I then replaced the old SSD with the new, but it did not boot. I checked this forum here and found a common...
  8. Cloned SSD won't boot

Cloned SSD won't boot: Hi, Apologies for this post, as I can see that many others have had this problem and have been given solutions, but the fix often involves writing some code in the command line and I'm not too familiar with this so don't want to try it without some help telling me what to...
  9. Cloned SSD won't boot

Cloned SSD won't boot: Hi, I cloned my HDD to an SSD I added to an M2 slot, but it won't boot. I have followed various guides to troubleshooting this without success. I've changed the boot order in the BIOS and checked it's in the right mode. I tried booting from a USB and using the Windows auto...
  10. Cloned SSD Won't boot

Cloned SSD Won't boot: I have recently purchased a 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD with the intention to make it my main boot drive and use my current HDD as extra storage. I connected the SSD to my PC using another SATA data and power cable. I proceeded to clone through Acronis and everything seemed to be...