Windows 10: New SSD has successfully cloned OS, but won't boot (Non-system disk)

Discus and support New SSD has successfully cloned OS, but won't boot (Non-system disk) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Fully operational perfectly running OS and Programs on old SSD. Macrium showed successful cloning (verified) to new SSD. Removed old and installed new.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Wisewiz, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Wisewiz Win User

New SSD has successfully cloned OS, but won't boot (Non-system disk)

Fully operational perfectly running OS and Programs on old SSD. Macrium showed successful cloning (verified) to new SSD. Removed old and installed new. Non-system disk error.
    Used W10 ISO CD to get to repair mode. Repair failed.
    Went to CMD prompt (still using ISO disc) and used diskpart. All volumes showed, but all letters wrong. Used diskpart to change all letters and remove letter from small Recovery volume. All letters showed as correct on new SSD (and on second SSD, which was not involved in this switch of new and old System+programs SSDs). Reset BIOS to boot from Disk 0 (new SSD). Boot attempt produced Non-system disk error.
    Used ISO to get back to diskpart. All volumes showed wrong letters again (same ones). Tried again. Repeated startup attempt. Non-system disk error.
    I thought this was going to be easy: Clone old System+data SSD to new SSD, swap out old for new, boot, and the system runs perfectly from the new SSD (which now has a new lease on life). WRONG.
    Please offer suggestions (other than re-install old SSD and carry on until it fails). I love and depend on this forum.

Please take care in this dangerous period of our lives.
    W10 1909

:)

Wisewiz, Mar 24, 2020
  2. Antrotan Win User

Windows 10 deactivated on new cloned SSD

Well it would appear the issue was solved!

What I did was re-insert and boot the original SSD went into Settings

Selected Accounts

Clicked on Manage my Microsoft account, got a message stating the account needed to be updated

After that was done, I cloned the new SSD again

On the cloned SSD entered command prompt, used the slmgr with my product key command (was entered successfully)

Then used the slmgr /ato command...and voila, Windows was reactivated successfully!

So thank you all for the possible solutions you suggested. I will keep monitoring the system as time goes by.

Antrotan, Mar 24, 2020
  3. Static~Charge, Mar 24, 2020
  4. Protik Win User

Issues booting from cloned ssd

I use a L440 Thinkpad with windows 10. Recently I decided to upgrade my laptop which have a regular HDD. So bought a 480GB Sandisk SSD, mounted that to a caddy. Then replaced my optical drive with that caddy. When I turned on my laptop the SSD showed up
    in "disk management". Formatted it with GPT by following the instructions available online. Then cloned the disk using EaseUS Todo backup. Everything is cloned successfully. But unfortunately I cannot boot from the SSD. Even the SSD doesn't show up in the
    boot order.

Following various internet forums tried disabling "Secure boot" and choosing "Legacy only" from BIOS. But nothing works. It is to be noted that both my HDD and SSD are connected. As per instructions I shutdown right after cloning the disk into SSD, but nothing.
    Any help regarding how can I boot from SSD?

Protik, Mar 24, 2020
Thema:

1. New SSD has successfully cloned OS, but won't boot (Non-system disk) - Similar Threads - SSD has successfully

2. PC won't Boot Following Successful System Retore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC won't Boot Following Successful System Retore: Hi, Recently my laptop installed updates and afterward it would't boot properly. I tried several fixes and eventually used a system restore and it completed and restarted fine. When i turned my off it went back again to the did not boot properly and i did the restore again....
  3. Cloned an SSD but it won't boot no more!!

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned an SSD but it won't boot no more!!: Hello, I have a Sony Vaio laptop and it had an 128gb SSD. I decided that was time to have a big SSD. I made a clone from the ssd (can't remember what was software). At the first boots, there was no problem but after a few days it stopped to boot!! I can't not even use the...
  4. Repair Disk Won't Boot with Non-System Disk or Disk Error

Repair Disk Won't Boot with Non-System Disk or Disk Error: Repair Disk won't boot with "Non-System Disk or Disk Error. Replace and press any key when ready." I have tried two different DVD/ROM drives installed on my Gateway desktop - and three repair disks. The repair disk is the only way to re-format the C drive before restoring...
  5. HDD Clone To SSD Won't Boot After A Week...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD Clone To SSD Won't Boot After A Week...: I recently cloned the hard drive in my cousin's computer over to an SSD. The computer booted just fine on the first try with the SSD. I ran some updates and got rid of some startup programs she didn't need. She got it back a couple of days later and it was running fine....
  6. Windows 10 won't boot after clone to SSD

Windows 10 won't boot after clone to SSD: Hi, I recently bought a new Dell Inspiron 7559 laptop, and installed an SSD in the computer's m.2 port. I then cloned the existing HD to the SSD, changed the SSD to the default boot in BIOS, and then re-formatted the HD. Everything worked fine for the first few days - I...
  7. cloning win 10 os disk

cloning win 10 os disk: Evening folks. I have a win 7 pc which I clone with Norton Ghost 15 on boot cd which gets me out of trouble regularly especially when trying new software out. I also have a win 10 laptop which does not work with NGhost, presumably because of the UEFI file system or...
  8. Cloned Disk will not boot !!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cloned Disk will not boot !!: Hi everyone I have been given two brand new SATA 2TB disks. One I have used in a hard disk dock - and have used this for additional data back up etc. Works OK The other I decided to use to replace my noisy C Drive. I cloned the disk to the new one, only to find that the...
  9. Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.

Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.: Hello there I purchased a Crucial MX300 525gb SSD to upgrade my laptop storage, that has an Intel Opal SSD 180gb on it. I need more space My idea was to clone the information from one SSD (intel is now inside the laptop) to the bigger SSD (using an USB-SATA cable and...
  10. Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk...

Cloning a new system disk from an old (not in use) system disk...: I need to create a new boot disk for a laptop I was using. I have the Windows 10 Home system disk that WAS in that laptop. I want to take the O/S OFF that disk and put it on a DIFFERENT disk.... I plugged both disks into a different PC, fired up Easus Todo Backup and did a...