Windows 10: New SSD is not an option to boot from

Discus and support New SSD is not an option to boot from in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a MSI B450 Gaming pro wifi max which has 2 M.2 slots on the board. I started by installing one in M2_1 and that booted fine had it for about a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RickyC20, Sep 6, 2020.

1. RickyC20 Win User

New SSD is not an option to boot from

I have a MSI B450 Gaming pro wifi max which has 2 M.2 slots on the board. I started by installing one in M2_1 and that booted fine had it for about a month. I then wanted to change things up (long story) so I bought another SSD exactly the same. The new SSD was placed in M2_2 I loaded windows on to that one and it the drive is noticed by the system I can see it inside windows from my first SSD and I see it in BIOS under a drive list however, It does not give me the option to boot from the new SSD.

:)

RickyC20, Sep 6, 2020

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Sep 6, 2020
  3. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, Sep 6, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

New SSD wont boot

Hi John

Boot into BIOS, is SATA Mode set to AHCI to enable booting from an SSD drive?

Is the SSD drive set a top of the Boot Priority list?

Did you try connecting that SSD to the SATA Port normally used by your old HDD?

DaveM121, Sep 6, 2020
Thema:

1. New SSD is not an option to boot from - Similar Threads - SSD option boot

2. No option to boot from SSD in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No option to boot from SSD in BIOS: Hi.Recently I installed a 128GB SSD in my HP Pavillion gaming 15 ec009ax which earlier only had 1TB HDD installed. I migrated the Windows from HDD to SSD using the mini tool partition wizard but I can not set the SSD as the boot device in the BIOS. It only shows the HDD as...
  3. No option to boot from SSD in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No option to boot from SSD in BIOS: Hi.Recently I installed a 128GB SSD in my HP Pavillion gaming 15 ec009ax which earlier only had 1TB HDD installed. I migrated the Windows from HDD to SSD using the mini tool partition wizard but I can not set the SSD as the boot device in the BIOS. It only shows the HDD as...
  4. SSD disappeared from boot options

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD disappeared from boot options: A few months ago I installed a new SSD to my computer. I cloned windows onto it and everything worked properly. But all of sudden when I started my computer today I had my old HDD as my boot drive. My SSD had gotten disconnected from the MB and when I connected it back again...
  5. SSD disappeared from boot options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD disappeared from boot options: A few months ago I installed a new SSD to my computer. I cloned windows onto it and everything worked properly. But all of sudden when I started my computer today I had my old HDD as my boot drive. My SSD had gotten disconnected from the MB and when I connected it back again...
  6. SSD disappeared from boot options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. New SSD Option

in Windows 10 Customization
    New SSD Option: Hello everyone, I successfully installed a SSD to my laptop and transfered my Windows 10 system and files. I still have my HDD in my computer, with its old Windows system files. Recently, I updated my laptop and apparently it installed the update on my HDD and not the SSD....
  8. Help with booting windows from new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help with booting windows from new SSD: Dear all, I recently bought a new SSD with the intention to run Windows and other programs from it, because my old HDD became terribly slow. Setting it up turned out to be a little more difficult than expected. There's a lot of information on this topic available but I...
  9. change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD: Hi, i have a windows 10 laptop,i have bought a SSD because i want to change my old HDD, i have just created a VHD file and now i would like to set boot loader to get it started from my FILE.VHD in my new SSD. i have win 10 dvd-rom, but i don't want reinstall everything. i...
  10. Getting an new SSD to boot after imaging it from an old SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Getting an new SSD to boot after imaging it from an old SSD: I bought a Samsung sm951 to replace my 840 Pro. The sm951 was installed in a PCI slot using an adapter which gave it 4 lanes for data usage. I imaged my 850 Pro SSD and then I restored the image to the sm951 SSD, but the computer would not boot from the new drive, saying that...