Windows 10: New SSD, new installation, no bootable media found.

Discus and support New SSD, new installation, no bootable media found. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a slightly annoying problem. I got myself a new 120GB SSD for the jump to Windows 10. I install the OS without problems from a DVD disk,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ubermad, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Ubermad Win User

New SSD, new installation, no bootable media found.

I have a slightly annoying problem.

I got myself a new 120GB SSD for the jump to Windows 10.
    I install the OS without problems from a DVD disk, boot up and begin to install stuff as steam, spotify and GeForce experience.

I remove the installation disk from my DVD reader and reboot.
    After the BIOS screen I get a message that claims there are no bootable media.

With the installation disk in the DVD reader everything works fine, I get an option to boot the installation even though the DVD is nr 2 in boot order after my sole storage unit.

I have tried to use all those bootrec commands to restore, repair or create a new bootmgr and so on. No installations of Windows can be found either. Been doing this for 6 hours now. I have reinstalled windows 10, 8 and 7. All with the same problem.

I plugged in one of my older 60GB SSDs and successfully installed Windows 10 on it. No sign of any boot problems. Booted without the installation disc. Same SATA connection on the motherboard. No changes in boot order.

So my thoughts about this right now, is it possible my new SSD have a defect from the beginning? Something in the hardware/hardware controller?

And yes I have searched around this forum, other forums and Google for anything like this problem. Everyone seems to get it working with bootrec commands. I don't...

:)

Ubermad, Aug 1, 2015

2. upgraded to windows 10, then intalled an SSD

I upgraded to windows 10. I then cloned my existing hard drive to a new SSD. I put the new SSD in and rebooted. The screen says no bootable media. Put in bootable able media and press any key. Windows 10 was downloaded, I have no media. What do I do now??

TomTuttle48, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Resetting Windows 10

It is a digital activation. If it is activated now, it will remain activated even if you were to remove the hard drive, replace it with an SSD and download the WIndows 10 ISO image, make bootable media and install Windows 10 from scratch on the new SSD.

Shenan Stanley, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

One thing to remember, you must do an upgrade and activation before you do a clean install, otherwise you will not be able to activate.

How did you do the install? The only way this will work for you is to clone the old hard drive to the SSD then boot the SSD and run setup.exe from the DVD.

Ztruker, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Ubermad Win User
    Okay. I shall remember that about the activation.

How I installed Windows 10? I downloaded windows media creation tool from Microsoft, created a DVD installation disc with the tool.
    I then booted from the disk and followed the installation. I needed to create a partition on the new SSD.

I am now going to install Windows 7 on my trusty 60GB SSD, activate it and use Windows Update. Then I'm going to upgrade to Windows 10. And finally, figuring out how to clone the Windows installation from the 60GB to the 120GB SSD.

EDIT/UPDATE

Okay, It didnt work. My 120GB SSD refused to work with me. I cloned the 60GB onto the 120GB and it still refused to work.
    In a tired attempt to yet again install Win10 i had both SSDs plugged in. The 60GB in SATA3 1 port and the 120GB in SATA3 2 port.
    As i deletet all partitions on both drives I started with creating a new partition on "disc 0" witch was the 60GB.
    The installation program created "system reserved" partition on that drive too.
    Didn't think mush of it and continued with "disc 1" and created a new partition of the unallocated space. I chose the 120GB as the drive to install Win10.
    The installation rolled onwards and was completed without problems.
    Then i removed the installation disc from my DVD reader and rebooted the system, didn't expect anything but the error message.
    When I saw the Win10 logo as the system started up I was a bit confused. "Now my system works? Why?"
    I checked the C: drive and sure thing, it was the 120GB SSD.

I belive it works because the "system reserved" partition is on the 60GB SSD.
    A friend of me have had a simmilar problem, he solved it by returning his SSD to the store and got a new one that works.

So, my system works now. Yay.
    I taped the SSDs together and ziptied the cables so I don't accidentaly remove one of them xD

New SSD, new installation, no bootable media found. [​IMG]

Ubermad, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New SSD, new installation, no bootable media found. - Similar Threads - SSD installation bootable

2. Installing Win 11 from bootable installer on new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Win 11 from bootable installer on new SSD: Hello MS community.I have a senior friend who's got a 2 year old Thinkpad with a Ryzen that took the Windows 11 upgrade last fall and a few days ago, the hard drive - a 5400 rpm spinning disk in what is a gaming laptop who does that? is failing/failed. I think friend - who's...
  3. Installing Win 11 from bootable installer on new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Win 11 from bootable installer on new SSD: Hello MS community.I have a senior friend who's got a 2 year old Thinkpad with a Ryzen that took the Windows 11 upgrade last fall and a few days ago, the hard drive - a 5400 rpm spinning disk in what is a gaming laptop who does that? is failing/failed. I think friend - who's...
  4. How to format a new SSD and make it bootable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to format a new SSD and make it bootable?: I would like to know on how to format a new SSD and make it bootable.Does anyone have any suggestions?Thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-a-new-ssd-and-make-it-bootable/85e69edd-d8c8-4369-a045-d00184c95b72
  5. How to format a new SSD and make it bootable?

How to format a new SSD and make it bootable?: I would like to know on how to format a new SSD and make it bootable.Does anyone have any suggestions?Thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-a-new-ssd-and-make-it-bootable/85e69edd-d8c8-4369-a045-d00184c95b72
  6. Installing new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing new SSD: I think I may have done something stupid and I'm hoping someone might have a solution to help me! My daughter's Lenovo laptop had an HDD and was running terribly slowly and causing problems when she tried to do her homework. I bought a Scandisk SSD, followed a YouTube...
  7. Installing new SSD

Installing new SSD: I think I may have done something stupid and I'm hoping someone might have a solution to help me! My daughter's Lenovo laptop had an HDD and was running terribly slowly and causing problems when she tried to do her homework. I bought a Scandisk SSD, followed a YouTube...
  8. new ssd not found in win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    new ssd not found in win10: Hello everybody, I recently bought a 2,5" SATA 7mm SSD and tried to connect to my laptop. after several tries that was not possible as the SSD was not shown in "My computer" though it is seen in "My devices" in "Control panel" as a n "External Disk 3.0". What is the...
  9. new install on new ssd,

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    new install on new ssd,: is there a way to delete just the windows files on my old ssd or am i going to have to format my old ssd to get rid of the old installation? submitted by /u/traveler9001 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hxhkz5/new_install_on_new_ssd/
  10. Media Creation Tool install on a new ssd.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media Creation Tool install on a new ssd.: In July I downloaded the Media Creation tool and created an USB version of the 29th release. I then used it to upgrade 2 pcs successfully. Now, I think I want to do a 'clean install' on a new ssd on another machine. Can I to I clean install with that USB? Seems to me I would...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd no bootable media

2. ssd no media found on boot

3. ssd no media

4. ssd bootable media,
  5. no bootable devices when new ssd installed,
  6. w10 new installation - no bootable disc found ?,
  7. no bootable device new ssd,
  8. no bootable device found new crucial ssd