Windows 10: New SSD optimization and leaving free space at end

Discus and support New SSD optimization and leaving free space at end in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just installed a new 1000GB ssd in my laptop (only drive) and it's working great. I am guessing this is where I should ask questions about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Curious, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Curious Win User

New SSD optimization and leaving free space at end

I just installed a new 1000GB ssd in my laptop (only drive) and it's working great. I am guessing this is where I should ask questions about optimization.

Based on what I read on the web I have
    • Disabled indexing on all drives
    • disabled hibernate (powercfg -h off)
    • checked that trim is enabled
    • SATA controller is in AHCI mode in Device manager
    • disabled superfetch
    I hope that is all OK. But I have some questions.
    • I was advised to modify my paging file. So I set it at a minimum of 400MB and max of 600MB. Is that reasonable?
    • I read that I should leave some free space at the end of the SSD. But the entire drive was formatted when I cloned my previous drive. So, using the mini-tool I created a unallocated partition at the end of the drive, but it is formatted. Is that OK? Should it be unformatted and if so how do I unformat it?

New SSD optimization and leaving free space at end [​IMG]
    • Should I leave "optimization" on a weekly basis?
    Anything else I should do?
    Thanks.

:)

Curious, Jul 25, 2018
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Win 10 SSD "Needs Optimizing" How is this handled in Win 10?

Here are some results from the search I suggested:

The ultimate guide to proper SSD management

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

HTG Explains: Should You Use an SSD Optimization Utility?

The benefits of a web search are:

• much more information than you can get from a community forum
    • all the details you can handle
    • many points of view
    • illustrations and videos
    • the opportunity to contact the poster
    And its faster too.

BulldogXX, Jul 25, 2018
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    Moving Unallocated Disk Space to End of Disk

Was commenting on the pic in post #21. Not suggesting anything. It just looked like the step you were doing was incomplete.

f14tomcat, Jul 25, 2018
  4. Clint Win User

Optimize SSD

Since I've installed a SSD, When I run Optimize it says never run-needs optimization. It will never run on it. Any suggestions?

New SSD optimization and leaving free space at end [​IMG]

Clint, Jul 25, 2018
Thema:

1. New SSD optimization and leaving free space at end - Similar Threads - SSD optimization leaving

2. Can't free up SSD space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't free up SSD space: I installed several games recently first valorant and when I installed it I had 124 GB free after like 2 days I uninstalled it and the free space was reduced to 112 GB. I installed witcher 3 game after that and there were some missing files after installing so I had to re...
  3. Can't free up SSD space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't free up SSD space: I installed several games recently first valorant and when I installed it I had 124 GB free after like 2 days I uninstalled it and the free space was reduced to 112 GB. I installed witcher 3 game after that and there were some missing files after installing so I had to re...
  4. Windows 10 Optimize Drives -- Free space consolidation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Optimize Drives -- Free space consolidation: I know what it actually does, can i disable this process and left "defragmentation" only? Because free space consolidation cause a long time and doesn't seems to reduce possibility of file fragments from creating. I am just asking for any possible methods like registry or...
  5. Wide swings in free space on SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wide swings in free space on SSD: I have a Gigabyte Aero 15 X9 with the stock Intel 760P 1 TB SSD. CrystalDiskInfo 8.1 is reported that my drive is completely healthy Each time I use my computer, I generally notice a 1-2 GB swing in the available storage. I presume this has to do with temporary files and...
  6. free space on ssd

free space on ssd: My skill testing question is: why is it that in Explorer, I'll see the free space on my SSD down, let's say, about 30 Gigs. After a nice fresh reboot, that space is freed up. It seems this is is not a continual thing but once in a bit, I'll notice the free space isn't what...
  7. A Solution - Free Space OS SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A Solution - Free Space OS SSD: IF you have a smallish OS SSD and need/want to increase its free space and IF you use OneDrive and IF you have another drive available, internal or External, for storage... The OneDrive folder may account for a big chunk of the Used Space on the SSD. It may, even, be...
  8. SSD Optimization

in Windows 10 Customization
    SSD Optimization: I've recently had to install the 1903 Feature Update. I had delayed this by changing settings to indicate I was on a metered connection and Microsoft gave me the option to update. Eventually they must have lost patience and I no longer had the option. Previous Feature updates...
  9. SSD optimize

SSD optimize: I don't know anything about the SSD in my machine. I have Windows optimizer set for monthly as I thought we should do. Please correct me if I am wrong. Then I read the following and wonder if all this is necessary for the average user to treat the SSD properly? Things You...
  10. ssd and hdd free up space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ssd and hdd free up space: Hello, i just bought a new laptop with two hard drives in it. i would like to use my ssd drive for editing purposes and the hdd to storrage my videos. the thing is that my ssd has the os in it and it only has 30 gb of space left. i am wondering if i could free some space on...