Windows 10: New SSD, Question regarding moving programs and OS

Discus and support New SSD, Question regarding moving programs and OS in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I purchased a Samsung SSD 500gb and I am trying to make it where my OS and all of my programs boot from the SSD, and all of my standard files are saved... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mysti Shirley, Jul 18, 2019.

1. New SSD, Question regarding moving programs and OS

I purchased a Samsung SSD 500gb and I am trying to make it where my OS and all of my programs boot from the SSD, and all of my standard files are saved on my regular hard drive. The problem is, I currently have two hard drives installed due to a computer change (I pulled the drive (let's call it Drive A) from the old pc out and put it to the new one and copied my files over to the new disk (call it Drive B). Currently, all 3 drives are in my computer. I have downloaded Macrium Reflect to clone Drive B to the new SSD, however both A and B are showing up in the list of available drives to clone. Apparently my Windows install is split between both A and B, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to get everything on just ONE drive without losing all of my important files. ANY help would be highly appreciated.

Screenshot of my Disk Management: https://i.imgur.com/XMzJe1p.jpg

Screenshot of Macrium Reflect: https://i.imgur.com/mx9m4B2.jpg

Edit: I apologize for the light gray text, I tried to set it to black but it won't change.

:)

Mysti Shirley, Jul 18, 2019
  2. SEWsam Win User

Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD

Hello,

Is there any way to move/clone the OS to a new SSD while keeping the programs on the HDD (and being able to still keep the previous location association with shortcuts) (example: Shortcut on desktop: Location: (HDD) C:\Users\Sam\Desktop

Name: Steam

Target: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\Steam.exe

--> Moved to SSD: Location (SSD, as boot drive): D:\Users\Sam\Desktop

Name: Steam

Target: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\Steam.exe <--- Target stays the same)

Is this possible?

SEWsam, Jul 18, 2019
  3. S_and_S Win User
    Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD

No, it's not possible. Images and clones operate on an entire drive at once.

Even if it were physically possible, it wouldn't help you because programs and Windows need to be on the same partition, typically the C: drive.

If you want to move your personal files to a different hard drive, that is very possible and it's a good idea to do that.

S_and_S, Jul 18, 2019
  4. New SSD, Question regarding moving programs and OS

how to migrate only the OS to a new SSD

hi

i gust got a new SSD

and i want to move my OS and only my OS over to it

so that i can boot from it.

if any one can give me a step by step guide to it that would be grate

some PC info

i have windows 10 64bit

the SSD is 120GB

mrhexeberg, Jul 18, 2019
Thema:

New SSD, Question regarding moving programs and OS

1. New SSD, Question regarding moving programs and OS - Similar Threads - SSD Question regarding

2. Move OS to new internal SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move OS to new internal SSD: Hello, I bought a new internal SSD that I installed on my motherboard. I initiated it from Disk Management. Since the new SSD is way better more speed and more space, I want to migrate my OS to the new one without any third-party tool unless it's free. Can someone help me?...
  3. Move OS to new internal SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move OS to new internal SSD: Hello, I bought a new internal SSD that I installed on my motherboard. I initiated it from Disk Management. Since the new SSD is way better more speed and more space, I want to migrate my OS to the new one without any third-party tool unless it's free. Can someone help me?...
  4. Moving OS, Files and Programs to new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving OS, Files and Programs to new SSD: Quick question, I'm on Win 10 home, build 2004. I've got an M.2 SATA III SSD that I'm getting rid of and upgrading to an M.2 NVMe SSD. Fortunately I have two M.2 slots on the motherboard, so I can use a migration tool. But I will be removing the old one and swapping the new...
  5. Move OS to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move OS to SSD: Move win10 from my HDD to SSD operating system only The SSD in smaller but it is 500 mg https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-os-to-ssd/2a46d103-f634-4cd0-9230-c58104c63769
  6. Moving OS drive to new hardware question

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving OS drive to new hardware question: Hello everyone. I was wondering if It was possible to move my SSD (boot drive) onto new hardware. I'm upgrading my pc a bit, one of the things being the motherboard. I really don't want to purchase windows if I don't have to, so i'm wondering if it can be moved properly....
  7. Moving OS to new SSD

Moving OS to new SSD: I have my Windows 10 OS installed in my old HDD. I recently put in a m.2 NVMe SSD in my PC and i’m wondering if I can clone my Windows 10 OS to my new SSD ONLY. I want to keep my pictures, videos and games in my HDD not move it anywhere. Is this possible? If so please tell me...
  8. Question regarding program shortcuts

Question regarding program shortcuts: I have a computer running Windows 10 that is multi-user for both me and my wife. When I install a program as the administrator under my account and set up a shortcut on my desktop the same shortcut shows up on my wife's (limited user account). So she ends up with a bunch of...
  9. Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD: Hello, Is there any way to move/clone the OS to a new SSD while keeping the programs on the HDD (and being able to still keep the previous location association with shortcuts) (example: Shortcut on desktop: Location: (HDD) C:\Users\Sam\Desktop Name: Steam Target:...
  10. Replace boot and storage SSD with larger SSD: Move OS and programs/files to new Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Replace boot and storage SSD with larger SSD: Move OS and programs/files to new Drive: Hello, I have one SSD that contains my Windows 10 installation as well as some common apps/games. I recently purchased a larger SSD that I would like to use instead and the old SSD will be wiped clean and put into a different PC. What is the best way to move all of my apps,...