Windows 10: New SSD, unrecoverable activation key

Discus and support New SSD, unrecoverable activation key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I recently had a SSD crash. I'm putting in a new SSD and will be reinstalling Windows 10 on the new drive. Unfortunately I am unable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by fire.eye, Dec 27, 2018.

1. fire.eye Win User

New SSD, unrecoverable activation key

Hello,

I recently had a SSD crash. I'm putting in a new SSD and will be reinstalling Windows 10 on the new drive. Unfortunately I am unable to recover my activation key. On my last drive I had Win 7 and upgraded to Win 10 for free. I am planning to install Win 10 from a ISO.

Once I install Win 10 on the new drive how will I be able to activate it, or how will it recognize I had a activated copy on the past?

Thanks

Mike

:)

fire.eye, Dec 27, 2018

2. Windows 10 activation - Existing SSD in new laptop

@DaveM121

Thanks, that worked.

I booted up the HDD that came with the new PC.

I then used the recommended software, and got the key (even though my reading suggested that a digital licence doesn't have an associated key).

I then booted from the SSD, went to Activation and entered the key.

Done!

Regards

Brendon

BrendonHatcher, Dec 27, 2018
  3. lewindh Win User
    New SSD activate Windows

I just upgraded my computer and purchased an SSD. I cloned my HDD and am now running Windows 10 from my new SSD. It would appear that I need to Activate Windows again now that it has been changed, but I'm unable.

I followed the guide here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

When I get to the step:

The troubleshooter will show a message that Windows can’t be activated on your device. Select I
    changed hardware on this device recently, and then select Next.

I'm prompted to enter a Microsoft account. No matter what I enter here I get the error. Oops something went wrong. The service isn't available.

I can't proceed past this step.

lewindh, Dec 27, 2018
  4. New SSD, unrecoverable activation key

Windows 10 activation - Existing SSD in new laptop

Hi

My previous laptop came with Windows 8.

I upgraded it to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer.

I then got an SSD.

I used the packaged software to clone the HDD to the SSD.

The laptop got hit by a power surge and the motherboard blew.

My new laptop came with a standard HDD.

It has a digital licence for Windows 10.

I inserted the SSD in an optical drive caddy and booted from it.

I now see the Activate windows warning.

My SSD contains a very customised Windows experience, along with tons of software, and hundreds of thousands of files synced to Google Drive.

This means that I really don't want to have to clone the HDD over the SSD and start loading all my software and files again.

However, since the laptop came with a digital licence (and no key that I can find), I can't simply insert the new licence key into the SSD windows settings.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Brendon

BrendonHatcher, Dec 27, 2018
Thema:

New SSD, unrecoverable activation key

1. New SSD, unrecoverable activation key - Similar Threads - SSD unrecoverable activation

2. Activation with new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation with new SSD: If I previously installed win 10 home and had a digital license if I installed win 10 home single language would it still activate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-with-new-ssd/170cdbc2-7414-46bb-b14f-db044a07e8e1
  3. Activation with new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation with new SSD: If I previously installed win 10 home and had a digital license if I installed win 10 home single language would it still activate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-with-new-ssd/170cdbc2-7414-46bb-b14f-db044a07e8e1
  4. Activation with new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Activating new SSD with the old license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating new SSD with the old license: Hi! I have Windows 11 and i want to switch to a new ssd. I dont want to copy anityng from the old ssd exept the license. A year ago i had win 10 and i upgraded to win 11. My license is : OEM_COA_NSLP channel.Can i copy the license?...
  6. Activating new SSD with the old license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activating new SSD with the old license: Hi! I have Windows 11 and i want to switch to a new ssd. I dont want to copy anityng from the old ssd exept the license. A year ago i had win 10 and i upgraded to win 11. My license is : OEM_COA_NSLP channel.Can i copy the license?...
  7. Cannot activate Windows with new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot activate Windows with new SSD: So yesterday I got a new SSD and installed it. I installed Windows using a USB stick and it went fine. But when I tried to activate Windows, it would not work. I tried removing the key from my old drive, didn't work. Says I'm not connected to my organization's network, which...
  8. Does a new SSD require an activation key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does a new SSD require an activation key?: I upgraded to windows 10 from Windows 7 Pro. I am thinking of getting an SSD and am being told I can install windows 10 fresh to the SSD and so long as I don't change the hardware of my computer other than the Hardrive, the OS will automatically activate. Is this true?...
  9. Windows Activation on a new SSD

Windows Activation on a new SSD: Hi, I have recently purchased a new laptop that comes with a 1TB HDD with Windows 10 Home pre-installed and activated with my Microsoft Account. Now, I want to upgrade my laptop with an SSD so that I can reduce the boot times on my laptop. I have read and watched many videos...
  10. New SSD activate Windows

New SSD activate Windows: I just upgraded my computer and purchased an SSD. I cloned my HDD and am now running Windows 10 from my new SSD. It would appear that I need to Activate Windows again now that it has been changed, but I'm unable. I followed the guide here:...