Windows 10: New SSD User Trim question

Discus and support New SSD User Trim question in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, So finally I made an upgrade to an SSD for use in my boot drive. a 240GB one specifically. I made a fresh install of Windows 10 last week ago in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by RoasterMen, Aug 17, 2021.

1. New SSD User Trim question

Hi, So finally I made an upgrade to an SSD for use in my boot drive. a 240GB one specifically. I made a fresh install of Windows 10 last week ago in this SSD, went to confirm if TRIM is enabled then confirmed it is on. Now, I went to disk defrag and saw this: Do I click optimize now? Or just let it run by the set schedule?

:)

RoasterMen, Aug 17, 2021

2. TRIM for SSD drive

I have a new Dell desktop PC with WIN 10. It has a hard drive (DNew SSD User Trim question :) and a SSD (CNew SSD User Trim question :). In the past I have always defragged my hard drive but I understand that I should not optimize/defrag the SSD - that WIN 10 by default uses TRIM to optimize the SSD. I read
    that TRIM is set as a default in WIN 10 and that it optimizes the SSD once a week. But when I look at the properties for the SSD drive, it shows that it has not been optimized for 14 days.

1. How do I know that TRIM is working?

2. If it isn't set as a default, how to I change that?

Thanks.

M Walsh

MarianWalsh, Aug 17, 2021
  3. A-Data Ships XPG SX95 and S592 SSDs with New Windows 7 TRIM Firmware

Hmm somethings a miss there, namely the fact there are only 3 features listed twice *Roll Eyes New SSD User Trim question :rolleyes:

InTeL-iNsIdE, Aug 17, 2021
  4. Tenforo Active Member

New SSD User Trim question

New SSD user questions

If it is clearly defined space then that would suggest that it would not be possible to use that space for wear-leveling thus decreasing the overall lifetime.

I've just read the wikipedia article: Write amplification - Wikipedia

It's slightly confusing as the blurb mentions un-partitioned space while the bar chart mentions free space and TRIM. (relating the level 3 OP)

...after readin a little more i came to this:

"Free user space

The SSD controller will use any free blocks on the SSD for garbage collection and wear leveling. The portion of the user capacity which is free from user data (either already TRIMed or never written in the first place) will look the same as over-provisioning space (until the user saves new data to the SSD). If the user only saves data consuming 1/2 of the total user capacity of the drive, the other half of the user capacity will look like additional over-provisioning (as long as the TRIM command is supported in the system).[28][31]"

so it seems that if the Unallocated space has been TRIMed or never written to, it can be used. So then if you were to partition off a few gb of extra space, if it contained any data it would eventually be TRIMed and contribute towards OP.

Deos anyone know about this more clearly?

Edit - Found a link to a discussion about the topic. http://www.overclock.net/t/775483/d...-you-need-to-leave-unallocated-space-question

One person says definitively 'no,' but it seems it's up for debate. Almost all SSDs come with 7% level 1 OP

Further Edit: http://www.smartstoragesys.com/pdfs/WP004_OverProvisioning_WhyHow.pdf

The OP determines the maximum logical capacity of the drive, but the drive’s consumed logical capacity can change the amount of OP that is effectively reserved.

Not exactly sure what this means, but it could mean that the allocated free space could be used towards OP?

What i get from this is that OP increases the likelyhood of the controller finding a free block to write to, thus increasing performance. Trim renders this function somewhat obsolete as TRIM will erase blocks in the background. Thus having any amount of unallocated free space with TRIM enabled would function very similarly to OP. Another Thing I get from this is that if you use raid, which doesn't support TRIM, then arbitrarily increasing the OP space by setting free unpartitioned space will increase performance of the drive.

Edit (again) - after reading around, it definitely seems that manually OP the disk is a waste of time on newer drives and only relevant for RAID and drives using older controllers.

Edit - Another Source - http://www.edn.com/design/systems-design/4404566/1/Understanding-SSD-over-provisioning

It seems that when using TRIM that you get dynamic OP and so unless you are at 100% capacity of your SSD then having manually set unallocated free space is worthless. This would only be true for newer drives with a decent system of garbage collection though.

Tenforo, Aug 17, 2021
Thema:

New SSD User Trim question

1. New SSD User Trim question - Similar Threads - SSD User Trim

2. SSD No trim Supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD No trim Supported: In above Image SSD drive Shows Trim Not supported. but my SSD drive supports Trim.can i perceive that My ssd Drive is not trimmed by Operating system or Storage controller....
  3. SSD No trim Supported

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD No trim Supported: In above Image SSD drive Shows Trim Not supported. but my SSD drive supports Trim.can i perceive that My ssd Drive is not trimmed by Operating system or Storage controller....
  4. ssd trim problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd trim problem: Hello I have 2 ssd drives micron and lexar and after windows 10 1709 version to latest version of windows 10 and windows 11 I'm having trim not enabled issue, hdd sentinel software says that trim is supported but disabled and I have tried many ways and software's but I just...
  5. SSD trim after 2004 Update question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD trim after 2004 Update question: I read that the bug had been sorted out where Windows 10 automatically trims SSD's on version 2004 and doesnt remember it was done so informs you that it needs to be done again. I checked in event Viewer and can see that on October 1st my SSD was successfully trimmed but it...
  6. how often should my ssd be optimized with trim questions on trim

how often should my ssd be optimized with trim questions on trim: how often should my ssd be optimized with trim I have a ssd and a 2nd standard 7200 rpm hd. Now I defrag the hhd but and optimize the ssd. will this optimization with trim hurt the ssd How different is optimization with trim on ssd vs defrag the 7200 hd 142372
  7. ssd trim

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd trim: NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) I have read articles and none show this so does this mean my trim is enabled or disabled? I think the 0 means it is enabled but it says disabled at the end. 134705
  8. SSD questions, new to SSD drives

SSD questions, new to SSD drives: Does a SSD drive need to be defrag? I read some say no and some say yes. Now it should just be swapped out with my old drive with the same plugs, right? This is only a extra drive not my booting drive. It there any other things I need to do or know, thanks! 133735
  9. Trim a New SSD?

Trim a New SSD?: Several months ago I replaced my system disk with an SSD. NowI just installed a Sandisk 240g to replace an old HDD data disk on build 1703. I initialized and formatted it using Minitools Partition Magic as a GPT disk and copied my the data from the HDD to the new SSD. The...
  10. SSD Trim Question

SSD Trim Question: Hi There Wondering if SSD Trim does it autoly with Windows Maintenance task? or if I should run that manually weekly, I set in the SSD dashboard, Enable Trim, Weekly for the schedule, but not sure if it ran, states under it last run none. Very very new to SSD drives, first...