Windows 10: New SSD

Discus and support New SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just bought and physically installed a new nvme ssd, and the manufacturer says that I need to copy the data from my hdd to the ssd. I don't want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jesse Balaski, Dec 28, 2020.

1. New SSD

I just bought and physically installed a new nvme ssd, and the manufacturer says that I need to copy the data from my hdd to the ssd. I don't want to do that, as I want to use both at the same time without cluttering the new ssd. Instead, I'd like to install just the os to the ssd for now, then go through and manually move the programs and files that I want on the ssd. I've already tried to use the usb stick that has the windows installation on it that I bought when I built my computer, and it says something along the lines of "remove the installation media and restart the computer so it starts windows normally, then reinstall the installation media and continue setup" I'm not too sure what it means, but I have done so a few times to no avail. Is there a simple way to move only the os to the ssd without wiping my old drive or essentially ruining the new one?

P.S.

Please be specific, I'm kind of clueless with this kind of stuff

:)

Jesse Balaski, Dec 28, 2020

2. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, Dec 28, 2020
  3. JhakeSong Win User
    Difficulties installing a new SSD

Hi RalphBrands,

Thank you for reaching back. I am sorry to hear that the steps didn't work for you. Let's try the following steps to see if this solves the issue.

It's possible that the drive has write protection, (If the drive has write protection, we can't do changes to it.) we can try to remove it by running these commands:

1) Press the Win+R keys on your keyboard to open the Run box.

2) Type diskpart -> press Enter to run it.

3) Inside the diskpart environment -> type and run each of these commands by pressing Enter.

4) Type list disk -> press Enter.

5) Identify your SSD in the list -> type select disk X -> press Enter (where X is the name of your SSD).

6) Run the command attributes disk clear readonly.

7) Wait for the process to complete

Next is to attempt to format your new SSD inside Diskpart

Run the commands in order below:

1) list disk

2) select disk n (n is the disk number you wish to format)

3) clean

4) create partition primary

5) format fs=ntfs quick

6) assign letter=x (x is the drive letter you wish the assign for the drive)

Hope this helps. Let me know so I can further assist you. Have a great day!

JhakeSong, Dec 28, 2020
  4. Rhen Pal Win User

New SSD

USB not recognized after startup with new SSD

Hi,

Please answer the following:

• Which version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Aside from installing a new SSD, were there any updates made to your device prior to this issue?

We suggest that we check for system file corruption, check this
    link
    for more information.

Regards.

Rhen Pal, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

New SSD

1. New SSD - Similar Threads - SSD

2. Slow thumbnail loading on SSD with Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow thumbnail loading on SSD with Windows Explorer: I have 4 drives. 1xKingston KC600, 1x970 Evo Plus and, 1x2TB HDD Seagate and a new 2TB PNY CS900 I just swapped my old HDD for. I tested this new SSD in some scenarios. Crystaldiskmark, which showed normal results 550mb/s read and 500mbs write and in loading Cyberpunk 2077,...
  3. Slow thumbnail loading on SSD with Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow thumbnail loading on SSD with Windows Explorer: I have 4 drives. 1xKingston KC600, 1x970 Evo Plus and, 1x2TB HDD Seagate and a new 2TB PNY CS900 I just swapped my old HDD for. I tested this new SSD in some scenarios. Crystaldiskmark, which showed normal results 550mb/s read and 500mbs write and in loading Cyberpunk 2077,...
  4. Slow thumbnail loading in SSD on Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow thumbnail loading in SSD on Windows Explorer: I have 4 drives. 1xKingston KC600, 1x970 Evo Plus and, 1x2TB HDD Seagate and a new 2TB PNY CS900 I just swapped my old HDD for. I tested this new SSD in some scenarios. Crystaldiskmark, which showed normal results 550mb/s read and 500mbs write and in loading Cyberpunk 2077,...
  5. Slow thumbnail loading in SSD on Windows Explorer

Slow thumbnail loading in SSD on Windows Explorer: I have 4 drives. 1xKingston KC600, 1x970 Evo Plus and, 1x2TB HDD Seagate and a new 2TB PNY CS900 I just swapped my old HDD for. I tested this new SSD in some scenarios. Crystaldiskmark, which showed normal results 550mb/s read and 500mbs write and in loading Cyberpunk 2077,...
  6. Windows 11 pro OEM re-activation SSD change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 pro OEM re-activation SSD change: I've a PC with valid OEM Windows 11 Pro OEM license. After changing SSD to a bigger one, MS refuses to re-activate the licensethe status of the license has remaining 1000 rearm counts...
  7. Windows 11 pro OEM re-activation SSD change

Windows 11 pro OEM re-activation SSD change: I've a PC with valid OEM Windows 11 Pro OEM license. After changing SSD to a bigger one, MS refuses to re-activate the licensethe status of the license has remaining 1000 rearm counts...
  8. Boot windows from USB4 m.2 NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot windows from USB4 m.2 NVMe SSD: I am trying to boot Win11 from an external m.2 NVMe drive via USB4. I've tried many things from clean install to copy of an existing install. I can install Win11 to the drive, I can run Win11 installation from the drive, but but every time I go to boot Windows 11 itself, I...
  9. Boot windows from USB4 m.2 NVMe SSD

Boot windows from USB4 m.2 NVMe SSD: I am trying to boot Win11 from an external m.2 NVMe drive via USB4. I've tried many things from clean install to copy of an existing install. I can install Win11 to the drive, I can run Win11 installation from the drive, but but every time I go to boot Windows 11 itself, I...
  10. Why is a missing ssd causing error code 0xc0000034

Why is a missing ssd causing error code 0xc0000034: So I was trying to dual boot windows 11 on my asus tuf laptop. I made a seperate 220 GB partition using disk management, formatted the usb and used the windows media creation tool to flash it and added the "ei.cfg" file in the sources folder so i could choose the os type.All...