Windows 10: New Start menu - how many variations are there?

Discus and support New Start menu - how many variations are there? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a couple of computers running Win10. On one machine, I just forced the Anniversary edition update. When I open the Start menu, the "Settings"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CountryBumkin, Aug 7, 2016.

1. New Start menu - how many variations are there?

I have a couple of computers running Win10.

On one machine, I just forced the Anniversary edition update. When I open the Start menu, the "Settings" button is a small icon on the left side near the bottom. (there is Power, Settings, File Explorer, and User). There is a "menu icon" at the top left, but clicking on it just has "Start" shown and it does nothing.

On my other Win10 computer (that doesn't have the Anniversary upgrade) when you click on the Start button, the Settings button is a listed in the "Apps" lineup.

This morning I was checking the third computer to see if anything upgraded, I clicked on the Start button and there was no Settings button, at the top left of the Start Screen there is now a "menu" button which has the Settings button in its list.

How many different start screens are there for Win10? Is this configurable? I prefer to have the small icons at the lower left.

:)

CountryBumkin, Aug 7, 2016
  2. Time Lady Win User

Start Menu Not Working Issue, a new variation...

This appears to be happening to several users on various forums, someone posted this which worked for them once they could access settings.:

Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Sign In Options and turn off "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or a restart".

Time Lady, Aug 7, 2016
  3. Vaelon Win User
    Start Menu Not Working Issue, a new variation...

So, doing the Repair seems to have undone whatever I broke trying to fix the issue in the first place.

The issue itself is now intermittent; on a reboot (or boot where the kernel is reloaded) occasionally the start menu will not be working and Process Explorer shows a second instance of taskhostw.exe, with an access denied path,
    and a task of “Device Install Reboot Required Dialog [\Microsoft\Windows\Plug and Play\Device Install Reboot Required]”

So far, if I kill that process and reboot again, the start menu works again… until the next time. Hopeful this will help figure out the origin of this issue.

Vaelon, Aug 7, 2016
  4. New Start menu - how many variations are there?

In Tablet Mode maybe, on one of them?

alphanumeric, Aug 7, 2016
  5. vanowm Win User
    Go to settings (NOT the control panel) -> Personalization -> Start -> on the bottom click at "Chose which folders appear on Start"
    Compare that on all computers.

vanowm, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

New Start menu - how many variations are there?

1. New Start menu - how many variations are there? - Similar Threads - Start menu many

2. Many icons are missing from the Start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Many icons are missing from the Start menu: Windows 10, Updated many times so it's not a particular version issue.Many Icons don't display with their intended icons when I search on the Start menu. They instead display a generic JPG icon.I have tried the sfc/scan now, refreshing thumbnail cache, and basics like...
  3. Many icons are missing from the Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Many icons are missing from the Start menu: Windows 10, Updated many times so it's not a particular version issue.Many Icons don't display with their intended icons when I search on the Start menu. They instead display a generic JPG icon.I have tried the sfc/scan now, refreshing thumbnail cache, and basics like...
  4. New Menu appears on Start Menu

New Menu appears on Start Menu: I have a problem on my computer. When I am opening the Start Menu to turn my computer off I have to click on the symbol for shutting down and then on "turn off". But if I am too slow with my mouse or clicking on the right part of the symbol a new useless menu opens up where...
  5. NEW START MENU

NEW START MENU: I just want to know that why my pc had not got the latest start menu even i am using windows 10 2004 with OS build 20161 preview version with no pending updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-start-menu/ba712f39-e8fe-4d3b-be7a-23d2c282f6d9
  6. NEW START MENU

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    NEW START MENU: I just want to know that why my pc had not got the latest start menu even i am using windows 10 2004 with OS build 20161 preview version with no pending updates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-start-menu/804392cb-25db-4e9f-a587-c44ae4d45317
  7. How to Disable the New Start Menu Flyout????

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Disable the New Start Menu Flyout????: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/DavyScript [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/encpik/how_to_disable_the_new_start_menu_flyout/
  8. new start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    new start menu: i dont like the new start menu. i expect to see the full munu when i click the start button but now only see the tiles and have to click the hamburger bar to get the menu up 6211
  9. Icons for many apps not showing in Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons for many apps not showing in Start menu: As per the image below - why are many of my apps not showing their icons? There's not options to change them and I've tried pinning the original .exe and shortcuts to the app but there is no difference. Any clues? [img] 10775
  10. Measure How Many Items on Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Measure How Many Items on Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Measure How Many Items on Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Measure How Many Items on Start Menu in Windows 10 Items on your Start menu are the total count of shortcuts displayed in All apps and pinned tiles combined. All apps in the Start menu displays an...