Windows 10: New Surface Book 2 will not format SanDisk Ultra 400 GB SD card

Discus and support New Surface Book 2 will not format SanDisk Ultra 400 GB SD card in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I bought a Surface Book 2 (new) and received it last Friday. I set it up and it has all the current software and firmware. I have a 400 GB SD card... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dave1013, Sep 9, 2019.

1. dave1013 Win User

New Surface Book 2 will not format SanDisk Ultra 400 GB SD card

I bought a Surface Book 2 (new) and received it last Friday. I set it up and it has all the current software and firmware.

I have a 400 GB SD card on which are several movies and videos. It worked fine on my old Surface Pro 4. The SB2 does not have an SD card reader - I had to use an adapter. When I put the card in the adapter and plugged it into the SB2, the machine told me I needed to format the drive. When I tried to format the drive, the machine told me it doesn't recognize the format. I had two format choices: exFAT and NTFS. There were a number of allocation sizes; it was set at 128 kb as a default. I tried switching format types and allocation sizes - no luck in resolving the issue.

I thought that if I formatted the card, I would lose all my videos. My wife has an old Dell Inspiron and I was able to copy the videos from the SD card onto a USB thumb drive.

I tried using another SD card just to see if the SB2 would read it, and got the same negative result.

Can you help me get this SD card formatted? If the fix ends up wiping it clean, no worries, I have the content on another device. I just want to be able to put everything back on the SD card.

:)

dave1013, Sep 9, 2019

2. New Surface Book 2 Won't Read from SD Card

Ok, this is for a surface book, but the steps should apply here as well:

Make sure your card is inserted properly,

Open Device Manager and look for non recognized device in Other devices.

Right click and use option "Update Driver Software..."

Go to Browse my computer

Go to Let me pick from a list

From the list, click on SD host adapters

Choose the last one: USB Mass Storage Device. Please do not choose any Related USB Card Reader devices.

Credit:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/for...

Give this a shot and let me know!

- C

Charlie Klausen, Sep 9, 2019
  3. Tito335 Win User
    128 GB sandisk ultra micro sd not working properly

Hi

I have a Lumia 540ds with 128 GB SanDisk ultra but I have this problem with reading memory card .. I can't even connect to PC using USB cable while SD card is inserted .. Some of the photos are appearing in the photos app and some of them are not showing
    at all although they are jpeg already and some of them are appearing like a grey / empty thumbnail when you open them a message appears "" can't get picture ,try again later"" .. I tried every damn thing rebooting reseting removing battery and SD card safely
    formatting SD card on both device and PC exfat .. Allocation unit 128 with no use and it's really frustrating also device is updated to the latest software also the device is sooooooo slow when u insert the SD card.

Microsoft. Should fix this nonsense

Tito335, Sep 9, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Surface Pro 6 and Surface Book 2 devices throttle locking to 400 MHz

Read more: Microsoft Surface Pro 6 and Surface Book 2 devices are throttle locking to 400 MHz | ZDNet

Brink, Sep 9, 2019
Thema:

1. New Surface Book 2 will not format SanDisk Ultra 400 GB SD card - Similar Threads - Surface Book format

2. Formatting SD Card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formatting SD Card: Hello, I have an SD Card of 64 GB storage space which my friend and I used as an external storage device. It has somehow become write protected. I cannot delete it's files. I've checked it's physical lock. How can I convert it to a normal SD Card or Format it completely...
  3. Formating a SD card

Formating a SD card: Hello, I am not a computer wizard.....can do some things but I cannot find out how to format a SD card - I have the adapter, with the SD card in, put into computer and laptop and nothing happens. Do I have to set up something - not sure what they are - the computer has only...
  4. Surface Book 2 - SD card not recognized after Win 10 pro upgraded to 1903

Surface Book 2 - SD card not recognized after Win 10 pro upgraded to 1903: I upgraded my Windows 10 pro system to 1903 version. My SD card can not be detected after the upgrade. So I checked on the device management and guess what? The USB reader driver disappeared!!!!! What a surprise!!!!! So I went to your community searching for answers and...
  5. Format SD Card

Format SD Card: I cannot format an SD Card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-sd-card/8177d725-b12d-4d1c-a799-efcb3df3c53f
  6. Surface Pro 6 and Surface Book 2 devices throttle locking to 400 MHz

in Windows 10 News
    Surface Pro 6 and Surface Book 2 devices throttle locking to 400 MHz: Owners of Microsoft's Surface Pro 6 and Surface Book 2 systems are finding themselves stuck at Pentium 2 speeds, as numerous user complaints indicate that the ultra-portables are throttling the processor down to 400 MHz, a state that—in some instances—persists across reboots....
  7. SD Card not recognised in Surface Book

SD Card not recognised in Surface Book: I have inserted a micro SD card into my surface book using an adaptor but my surface book is not recognising it. When i go into device manager, and click on show hidden devices, i can see a generic SD card device under disk drives, but i can't get it to work. I have tried...
  8. new surface book 2 no microphone working

new surface book 2 no microphone working: I just set up my surface book 2 but the microphone doesnt work now. The microphone was working when i was setting up the laptop. I have updated all my drivers and disabled and enabled the microphone drivers idk what to do anymore....
  9. Surface Book 2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Surface Book 2: I am trying to run Flash files on my Surface Book 2 and have had no success. I have downloaded adobe flash. Is there something I need to do? Does Flash work on the Surface Book 2?...
  10. Can't delete or format partitions (Surface Book 2)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't delete or format partitions (Surface Book 2): So two days ago, I turned on my computer and it does not boot. I get a windows failed to start error 0xc0000102 [ATTACH] So I then attempt to install windows from my USB. I put the windows recovery tool on my usb and try to load windows 10 on to my surface book 2 I go...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why i cant format a 400 gb sandisk sd card to ntfs