Windows 10: New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices

Discus and support New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A generic question so I don't think I need to provide any specific info. My computers are Windows 10 64-bit. Having trouble recently with some of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kn1000a, Feb 16, 2020.

1. kn1000a Win User

New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices

A generic question so I don't think I need to provide any specific info. My computers are Windows 10 64-bit.

Having trouble recently with some of my computers, and usually people/diagnosis software point out the culprit is the failing hard drives.

Whether they're right or not, I have never ever look into backing my data before. Now that I think about it, there are stuff I care too much about for them to be gone from a sudden failure. I don't want this.

I've done some research myself and seem like people prefer disk imaging. So I want to ask if anyone can guide me into the right step of exploring backing up data - and not just copy and paste like I have been doing since middle school. Few topics I want to discuss:

- Is it true disk imaging require you to save the disk image of a source drive X into another drive Y, then restore it to a drive Z to have the exact same state of my system? Does drive Z has to be a fresh drive? Does it has to conform to any other requirement in order for the image to successfully copy to it like hardware specifications?

- If it were to copy the exact state of the drive over, then won't that be piracy? After all, it will be copying even the Windows software itself. From what I saw online, people describe it as easily as if I'm copying a game save file or a document over.

- Any good free options for software to handle disk imaging or cloning? I would like to keep my available options to the cheapest free if I could. On the same topic, is Macrium ReflectFree good enough for the job?

- How long would the process usually take? How large will the image file be? Same size as whatever GBs my source hard drive is holding?

- How frequent would you be doing this?

- Any risk to the process? Any complications? I would imagine restoring the image can be quite troublesome. Even installing Windows 10 gave me some hiccups back when it was out.

- I am a complete novice in building PC and touching any hardware parts inside a PC. Is it easy and risk-free to replace a hardrive in a PC bought from a store? I want to self-learn this so any good guide/video will be appreciated.

Thank you for any inputs.

:)

kn1000a, Feb 16, 2020
  2. kn1000a Win User

A generic question so I don't think I need to provide any specific info. My computers are Windows 10 64-bit.

Having trouble recently with some of my computers, and usually people/diagnosis software point out the culprit is the failing hard drives.

Whether they're right or not, I have never ever look into backing my data before. Now that I think about it, there are stuff I care too much about for them to be gone from a sudden failure. I don't want this.

I've done some research myself and seem like people prefer disk imaging. So I want to ask if anyone can guide me into the right step of exploring backing up data - and not just copy and paste like I have been doing since middle school.
    Few topics I want to discuss:

- Is it true disk imaging require you to save the disk image of a source drive X into another drive Y, then restore it to a drive Z to have the exact same state of my system? Does drive Z has to be a fresh drive? Does it has to conform to any other
    requirement in order for the image to successfully copy to it (like hardware specifications)?

- Any good free options for software to handle disk imaging or cloning? I would like to keep my available options to the cheapest (free) if I could. On the same topic, is
    Macrium Reflect Free good enough for the job?

- How long would the process usually take? How large will the image file be? Same size as whatever GBs my source hard drive is holding?

- How frequent would you be doing this?

- Any risk to the process? Any complications? I would imagine restoring the image can be quite troublesome. Even installing Windows 10 gave me some hiccups back when it was out.

- I am a complete novice in building PC and touching any hardware parts inside a PC. Is it easy and risk-free to replace a hardrive in a

PC bought from a store
    ? I want to self-learn this so any good guide/video will be appreciated.

Thank you for any inputs.

kn1000a, Feb 16, 2020
  3. davnav Win User
    new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

Ive just bought a brand new lenovo pc which has windows 10 home 64bit and has a 1tb hard drive fitted, im looking for advice on the following.

Ive fitted the ssd into the pc but its not shown up so need step by step guide on how to make it active ?

Next I need help on how to clone the 1tb hdd to the
    Ssd drive, step by step and best software to use and have the ssd as the main drive then use the the 1hdd for storage.I just dont want to break my new system
    Thanks for your time.

davnav, Feb 16, 2020
  4. cereberus Win User

cloning (not imaging) speed -- Macrium vs DD

Semantics.

A clone directly copies a disk to another one without any intermediate step involved.

That is not how FFU works as far as I can tell. You still create an image file which you deploy to a new drive.

FFU is sort of halfway between imaging and cloning as the the image is more a sector by sector copy.

However, in the end it still needs two steps to clone to new drive, and this is more like Macrium backup and restore.

Unless I am mistaken, I cannot see a way to capture data on one drive and SIMULTANEOUSLY deploy it to a new drive which is exactly what Macrium Reflect does when cloning.

In the end, it does not matter except you have to be careful about comparing oranges and apples as you need to take all steps into account when comparing speeds.

As an aside, Reflect's Rapid Delta Cloning (not free version) is awesomely fast if you have an existing clone, and you re-clone provided extent of changes do not involve a build upgrade.

cereberus, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

1. New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices - Similar Threads - disk imaging cloning

2. New key when cloning a disk

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New key when cloning a disk: I just bought a new laptop and was wondering if I clone my disk from my desktop to my laptop can I just purchase a new license key? Or will it make erase everything?...
  3. New key when cloning a disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New key when cloning a disk: I just bought a new laptop and was wondering if I clone my disk from my desktop to my laptop can I just purchase a new license key? Or will it make erase everything?...
  4. New key when cloning a disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disk Image/Clone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk Image/Clone: Hello, I am looking for an easy to use disk image / Clone software. I deploy about 2-3 systems per week, all which have the same configuration. FileMaker, HyperTerminal, MS Office, printer drivers and a few other apps. Does anyone have any recommendations for a software...
  6. New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New to disk imaging/cloning - need advices: A generic question so I don't think I need to provide any specific info. My computers are Windows 10 64-bit. Having trouble recently with some of my computers, and usually people/diagnosis software point out the culprit is the failing hard drives. Whether they're right or...
  7. I need Ram-Disk advice .

in Windows 10 Customization
    I need Ram-Disk advice .: My system specs are below. I guess the available ram is whats needed ? 8 GB total, 7 usable . I want to try two things : 1. Set up my Browsers, Chrome and Edge, to save their browsing files to the Ram Disk . 2. Run my Drawing application on the Ram-disk so that its...
  8. New memory advice needed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New memory advice needed: Since I'm going to install a new SSD in my lappy, I want to increase the memory also. I want to install 16GB, it has two slots. One has 8GB in it now. I looked on Crucial and there are four choices for 16GB kits. Which would be the best choice ?...
  9. new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed: Ive just bought a brand new lenovo pc which has windows 10 home 64bit and has a 1tb hard drive fitted, im looking for advice on the following. Ive fitted the ssd into the pc but its not shown up so need step by step guide on how to make it active ? Next I need help on...
  10. System Disk Image/Clone

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Disk Image/Clone: There's been some discussion on this in another thread & having previously not been too successful in the past, I'd like to seek some advice. When a disk is cloned it makes an identical copy to another HD; the idea being that if the one in use fails, then the cloned HD can...