Windows 10: New to GPUs - GPU needs power - not sure how to plug 'er in

Discus and support New to GPUs - GPU needs power - not sure how to plug 'er in in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Quick question. I purchased a used graphics card on Ebay ('cause I'm cheap that way, and I really couldn't justify it anyway). At any rate, it's an MSI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by novicegeek, Apr 8, 2021.

1. New to GPUs - GPU needs power - not sure how to plug 'er in

Quick question. I purchased a used graphics card on Ebay ('cause I'm cheap that way, and I really couldn't justify it anyway). At any rate, it's an MSI GTX 970 4GD5 OC. Enough with the details. It did not come with a power supply, so I dug through my cables and found a cable with 8-pins one end, and TWO PCI-E 6+2-pin connectors on the other. The GPU has two available 8-pin ports, so my question is this. Can I use this cable, or am I better off using two 6-pin cables, and plugging them into...

Read more

novicegeek, Apr 8, 2021

2. having issues with multi GPU

I’m trying to offload certain apps to my iGPU on the second screen, using the new graphics settings in the recent win 10 release. the issue is it’s only showing my 1070. lists it as both power saving GPU, and
    high performance GPU.

I’ve been fiddling for a while now with no joy, and i’m really hoping one of you guys has an idea they can suggest to sort this!

I can extend onto the second screen no probs with it plugged into the iGPU, but the 1070 is still listed as both power saving GPU and high performance GPU.

Are there requirements for this? certain level of iGPU for it to work?

Thanks

Edit - setting the secondary screen connected to the iGPU to be the "main" display in graphics settings makes my iGPU show as both power saving and high performance GPU, I just can't seem to get them
    to be one and not the other.

GaryDougall, Apr 8, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    GPU

Hi Michael

Open Device Manager (accessible by right clicking your Start Button)

Expand the Display Adapters section

You should see your GPU listed, along with possibly an integrated graphics option

If that is no listed there:

Boot into BIOS (start your system, then on the manufacturers screen, repeatedly press the appropriate key (usually F2) to enter BIOS

Under System Information, you should find your GPU listed

If you still cannot find the GPU listing, what is the Make and exact Model No. of your PC - that will be printed on a sticker on the bottom casing . ..

DaveM121, Apr 8, 2021
  4. Zeond1987 Win User

New to GPUs - GPU needs power - not sure how to plug 'er in

Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?

I have 2 GPU's (Nvidia GTX 970 and 1080) and I want to force a program to use the 1080 for certain programs/games. Going to Settings>System>Display>Graphics Settings should give me the option to switch GPU's. Unfortunately it does not list both of my GPU's
    nor does it allow me to change to another one, only the default GPU is chosen (the 970). This is a desktop computer and I have tried the Nvidia control panel and UEFI settings without much luck. If I tried selecting a program to run on my 1080 (through the
    Nvidia control panel), it would still run it on the 970. I have tried switching the GPU's around with not much luck there either. If I can suggest to Microsoft the option in the Graphics Settings to list both GPU's for selection, that would be great. Otherwise
    I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Zeond1987, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

New to GPUs - GPU needs power - not sure how to plug 'er in

1. New to GPUs - GPU needs power - not sure how to plug 'er in - Similar Threads - GPUs GPU needs

2. Do I need a new gpu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need a new gpu?: My pc will restart/crash when playing games and when I’m updating something. I took it in and they did tests and they said they couldn’t find anything wrong but then I showed this picture and they said my gpu is failing. I just Need answers please....
  3. Do I need a new gpu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do I need a new gpu?: My pc will restart/crash when playing games and when I’m updating something. I took it in and they did tests and they said they couldn’t find anything wrong but then I showed this picture and they said my gpu is failing. I just Need answers please....
  4. Need new GPU for my CyberpowerPC

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Need new GPU for my CyberpowerPC: Hi, recently someone gave me cyberpower pc AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with broken GPU / xfx Rx580 8 gb. I don't play game and most used for editing photo, video with power director and photoshop and most the time MAC user. Have only basic knowledge of PC. What is my option here?...
  5. How do I rename multiple GPUS/Add a description to a specific GPU?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I rename multiple GPUS/Add a description to a specific GPU?: If I have a computer with a bunch of GPUS running, how can I name the GPUS so that I can identify them later on? When I look in device manager, they're all the same. I found a way to edit the friendly name, but that only seemed to work for the first GPU that I plugged in....
  6. Can you disable integrated gpus to use a discreet gpu instead?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you disable integrated gpus to use a discreet gpu instead?: I have a Asus FX505DT-WB52 that has an integrated gpu on the processor and then an Nvidia 1650. And I'm wanting to disable the amd graphics and let my Nvidia card take over is this possible? The specs of the system I'm asking about is also located in the specs on my profile....
  7. Power plugged in and Not charginh

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Power plugged in and Not charginh: can't install the new updates of windows 10 & its showing To install updates, i need to charge my device battery minimum 40% in order to commence installing the new updates, However the power is plugged in & can't charge because it require the new updates to be installed...
  8. Updating a new(er) Win 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updating a new(er) Win 10 laptop: I relieved a new Win 10 laptop. Never been out of the box. It seems to work great but it is Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.214) When I go to Settings \ Update & Security, the update status reads that the laptop is at risk because of out of date or missing important security...
  9. Here's My Reply To Dell's Battery Plugged-In NVIDIA GTX GPUS!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Here's My Reply To Dell's Battery Plugged-In NVIDIA GTX GPUS!: "This Message Has Been Removed By Me For Misjudging The DELL Company" Better Topic: "What's Causing My Display To Flash Orange Red?" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/heres-my-reply-to-dells-battery-plugged-in-nvidia/870ad34d-7813-4f64-b116-daceece58581
  10. dual GPUs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dual GPUs: i searched on internet but couldn't get a satisfying enough info, i would like to have two GPUs in my system but not sli i wan different one, i saw that i can like dedicate each GPU to a specific screen but i wonder if the drivers are gonna collide and create problems. i...