Windows 10: New to Macrium: System Image

Discus and support New to Macrium: System Image in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My setup: 256 GB SSD holding the C drive "Local Disc C" which includes my Programs among other usual files, 190 GB free of 223 GB. I have my Personal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Stevekir, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Stevekir Win User

New to Macrium: System Image

My setup: 256 GB SSD holding the C drive "Local Disc C" which includes my Programs among other usual files, 190 GB free of 223 GB. I have my Personal Folders (Documents, Pictures etc., Downloads, Searches etc.) on a 2 TB internal rotational drive D. Therefore these folders on C are mainly empty and their contents are on D. They are backed up elsewhere using FreeFileSync.

I made a SI of of the C drive so that I can get back to where I was when the SI was made. This is what I did:

In Macrium's window I chose the two partitions shown (see attachment) and clicked on "Image this disk...". In the following window I choose the destination as an external USB Hard Drive "A-2" in a new folder which I created: "Macrium SI". In the next window I accepted the defaults concerning Template and Schedules.

But the Define Retention Rules seem not to apply to my task because there are no File backups involved (Documents, Pictures etc., Downloads, Searches etc. see above). I therefore unchecked Full, Differential and Incremental. I noted some info in the next window and pressed Finish. In "What do you want to do now" I unchecked "Save backup ........ XML Backup Def. File" and I pressed OK. A saving action took place with two progress bars, "2 minutes" but it took about 4. I noticed "Backup Type: Full". "Image Completed Successfully, 4m 41 sec. I pressed OK and Close.

In my chosen destination drive "A-2" is my folder "Macrium SI" and inside that is 811E2B34B4C50C72-00-00 which is 15.9 GB (which compares with the 33 GB total used in my C SSD drive).

Q1: Remembering the alteration I made to the backup setup (the second paragraph above this one), is the resulting SI capable of restoring my C drive to what it was on the date I made it (today)?; and:

Q2: Will that restore include my Programs which will run as before?

Thanks.

(The problem of making backups is that you can never confirm that they will actually wok on the day without risking upsetting the System.)

New to Macrium: System Image [​IMG]

:)

Stevekir, Aug 14, 2016

2. Windows 10 Upgrade and WinBook TW100 Windows 8.1 tablet... three things to watch out for...

OK... glad you found the way into the UEFI ("BIOS") setup in the

firmware.

I used a 1 TB USB hard drive to do my system backup, then burned the Macrium backup archive onto a DVD for safe storage in my closet.

You should be able to make a donor image from your new

Winbook using Macrium, make a boot/recovery DVD in Macrium,

plug in a USB DVD drive, boot to it from the UEFI and then use the

donor image to un-brick the "unfortunate victim" (LOL) of the

Windows 10 upgrade.

Macrium is nice in that it gives you a couple choices for your

bootable recovery media - if I recall correctly, one of the options

is for a bootable Linux DVD that can restore from Macrium image

files.

New to Macrium: System Image :)

AllanY2525, Aug 14, 2016
  3. BruceTR Win User
    Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

Windows 10 on PC.

I plan to use Macrium Reflect Free to create a System Image on a USB stick (not a removable USB drive). Macrium will create the Image as a .mcimg file. The file will be approximately 74 GB. In the future, when
    I want to restore to the System Image, I plan to use Macrium to perform the restore. Because Macrium will be used for the restore, the USB stick does not have to be bootable.

Given this scenario, what format should be used for the USB stick? FAT32, or NTFS, or some other format?

Thanks

BruceTR, Aug 14, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

The image you created should restore your C: drive including programs. Are you sure you have backed up all the hidden partitions needed to restore Windows since I would expect to see more partitions on a UEFI boot PC (if you have that)? Reflect has the option to backup all partitions needed to restore Windows and it's useful to use that. You can't restore a working PC without imaging all of the hidden partitions needed to boot Windows. You might also want to consider backing up your user data on drive D. I suggest you also choose the verify option when you create a new image to confirm the integrity of the image file.

Steve C, Aug 14, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Aug 14, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Actually, you only need to image two partititions in UEFI (EFI and C drive partitition) to create a backup image that will reboot.

In OP's case, it is a legacy bios install, not a uefi install (first drive is system reserved partition - not EFI). OP has selected everything ok.

cereberus, Aug 14, 2016
  7. Stevekir Win User
    Steve C, dalchina, cerebus

OK. I think I have the hang of it now. I have set up a backup routine by clicking on the blue window button "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows", added verification, created an xml file and a scheduled to run at 16:00 every day, and tested it (at a recent time setting) and it works! The fact that the backup routine explicitly mentions "the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" gives me confidence that it will do what I need: to restore only the OS and programs so I could get back to work quickly. I'm very grateful for your advice. Now I'm off to read the manual!

One point remains: I have never found a way to positively test whether any backup will really work, without actually running it and hoping it won't screw up the machine. If you know of a way, please let me know. (Perhaps a restore on to a spare HD and a temporary change to the boot order is the only way.)

Stevekir, Aug 14, 2016
  8. Steve C Win User

You could schedule 2 tasks e.g. one for a weekly full backup and another for a daily differential backup. Note you can also backup your user files using Reflect if you wish. You can mount any Reflect image to find any file/folder and copy them if you just need access to a few files in the backup.

Steve C, Aug 15, 2016
  9. Stevekir Win User
    That's interesting. Thanks.

Stevekir, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New to Macrium: System Image - Similar Threads - Macrium System Image

2. Cant get macrium to work for system image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cant get macrium to work for system image: So I put on MF to use to do a system image backup do to Win 10 getting rid of the built in system in image function . I have gotten to the point where it loads the program but when that gets loaded I have no keyboard or mouse function . It is a logitech keyboard and a third...
  3. Dismounting Macrium Images

Dismounting Macrium Images: I'm having a problem on two different systems dismounting Macrium images. One is running V2004 with licensed Macrium and one is running V1909 with a free copy of Macrium. Macrium is the latest version. One thing in common are the Images are large, 200GB+, one is in excess...
  4. Dismounting Macrium Images

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dismounting Macrium Images: I'm having a problem on two different systems dismounting Macrium images. One is running V2004 with licensed Macrium and one is running V1909 with a free copy of Macrium. Macrium is the latest version. One thing in common are the Images are large, 200GB+, one is in excess...
  5. Can Macrium restore an MS System Image?

Can Macrium restore an MS System Image?: Somewhere I saw someone state that Macrium can restore MS System Images. Anyone know if it can? I can't ask on their forum as you can only register after you buy the product and I tried emailing their contact - L: [email protected] but the emails bounce as spam. Not very...
  6. Macrium Restore Image

Macrium Restore Image: I just performed a clean install from 1809 ISO saved the MR image of the clean install to my ext. USB HD and 64GB 3.0 flash drive. This morning I tested the clean install from the flash drive, MR went through all the image restore set up then I received an error message...
  7. delete old Macrium FREE image files & install new image

delete old Macrium FREE image files & install new image: I installed Macrium Reflect free version on a USB stick last year. Now I would like to totally "empty" that stick and install the current data/info onto a "new" Macrium Reflect free version again (in the same, now emptied stick). I am aware of this: Backup and Restore with...
  8. Macrium image mystery

Macrium image mystery: I have two images as below [img] [img] [img] Image 2 starting with A9 occupies 16.4 GB in disk but its disk volume is 25.39GB. Image 1 starting with 1C occupies 15.6Gb in disk but its disk volume 27.5GB. Why this anomaly? 117906
  9. Macrium - What to Image?

Macrium - What to Image?: Setting up my new Windows 10 Home desktop. Downloaded Macrium Version 6 Free and made a rescue disk. Everything is on the C: drive. Version 6 gives me 2 choices of images: 1. Image selected disks. 2. Image partitions required to backup and restore Windows. Choice 2...
  10. Imaging a disk with macrium

Imaging a disk with macrium: I have tried several times to make an image of a windows 7 disk.. Using macrium reflect and it just won't do it. It says can't make an image of this disk.. no reason given. On the same computer with another disk that has windows 10, it works just fine, i can image it ok....