Windows 10: New update causes Windows to shutdown instead of sleep or hibernate

Discus and support New update causes Windows to shutdown instead of sleep or hibernate in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; After the most recent updates the past two weeks, when ever I put my computer to sleep or hibernate, my laptop fully shuts down. It closes all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by BrandonGraham2, Aug 6, 2019.

1. New update causes Windows to shutdown instead of sleep or hibernate

After the most recent updates the past two weeks, when ever I put my computer to sleep or hibernate, my laptop fully shuts down. It closes all applications. It takes the normal turn on time rather than the expedited wake up from sleep mode. Not sure if there is a fix or if a future update will address this.

Thanks

:)

BrandonGraham2, Aug 6, 2019
  2. Louie Del Win User

Sleep,hibernate, and shutdown

Hi,

Usually, Sleep and Hibernate features are used to save power when using a computer. However, hibernate may not be available for all PCs as it was designed for laptops. Regarding your concern, since you’re trying to turn
    off or disable these features, you may follow the step below:

• To turn off Sleep:

Go to Settings > System > Power & sleep. Then, select
      Never from the drop-down list under the Sleep section.

New update causes Windows to shutdown instead of sleep or hibernate 584c0e8c-80cf-4e84-a18c-23b41220f8da?upload=true.png

• To disable Hibernate:
    • Type Command Prompt in the Search box from
      Start
    • Right-click on it, then select Run as administrator.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and press
      Enter. Close the window.

We’re just here if you need further help.

Louie Del, Aug 6, 2019
  3. Sleeping instead of hibernating after Creators Update

With normal version of Windows 10, when I pressed hibernate my laptop was hibernating properly.

After installing the Creators Update, I enabled hibernation from command line. But when I press hibernate at start menu, laptop is going into sleep mode. Although there is a hiberfil.sys file at C drive.

I've also noticed that, at the "Choose what the power buttons do" section of Power Options, hibernate is not listed.

I've experienced this issue with both Creators Update and Fall Creators Update.

New update causes Windows to shutdown instead of sleep or hibernate [​IMG]

gezginrocker, Aug 6, 2019
  4. New update causes Windows to shutdown instead of sleep or hibernate

Windows 10 gets shutdown instead of going to sleep/hibernate

It's a long time problem - Windows 10 is shutting down instead of going to sleep or hibernate.

All the power settings are set to sleep/hibernate/nothing for power button/closing lid/idle etc. And still - sometimes it's just getting shutdown!

Any idea?

Windows 10, Version 1607 build 14393.726 <BR>Laptop - Asus N550JV

Updates:

• April 2018: Version 1709 build 16299.371
      • Still happening, I even went through a complete drive wipe and clean install.
    • May 2018: Version 1803 build 17134.1 - still happening.

arieljannai, Aug 6, 2019
Thema:

New update causes Windows to shutdown instead of sleep or hibernate

1. New update causes Windows to shutdown instead of sleep or hibernate - Similar Threads - update causes shutdown

2. Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?: I'm using AMD laptop. Which is best to use? Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep? I heard Macbook are recommended to use Sleep, Does it same to Windows laptop? Which three consume more and least power?...
  3. Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?: I'm using AMD laptop. Which is best to use? Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep? I heard Macbook are recommended to use Sleep, Does it same to Windows laptop? Which three consume more and least power?...
  4. Sleep causes hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep causes hibernate: Why does my PC activate hibernate every time it goes to sleep, hibernate is activated after "powercfg /h off"? To clarify, the PC does sleep, not hibernate, it just turns hibernate on and creates hiberfil.sys. Fast startup is also disabled. EDIT: Problem solved, it was a...
  5. Windows 10 hibernates instead of sleeping

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 hibernates instead of sleeping: I have checked the advanced power options, and everything says that closing the lid and pressing power sleeps the laptop. But it hibernates instead. It doesn’t allow you to sleep it in the Start menu options either. This started happening after my laptop’s battery died. (it...
  6. windows 10 shutdown instead of sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 shutdown instead of sleep: hi i just updated my windows to windows 10 pro v.1909 build 18363.836 and now my asus laptop refuses to sleep and shut down instead i have checked my power settings...tried troubleshooting..checked my bios settings nothing works please help me 156574
  7. Unable to shutdown/sleep/hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to shutdown/sleep/hibernate: I have new HP Spectre x360 and from begining I am not able to shut it down or sleep or hibernate. It shut down and after 3-4 seconds boots backup again. I have already spent 3 days with solving it and i tried everything what i found on internet. I tried: - intel management...
  8. Sleeping instead of hibernating after Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleeping instead of hibernating after Creators Update: With normal version of Windows 10, when I pressed hibernate my laptop was hibernating properly. After installing the Creators Update, I enabled hibernation from command line. But when I press hibernate at start menu, laptop is going into sleep mode. Although there is a...
  9. Sleep instead of Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep instead of Shutdown: I have a desktop computer running Windows 10. It has been working with no problems. Recently it stopped shutting down. When shutdown is selected, it appears to shutdown, the monitor reports the video signal is lost and the lights go off on the PC. However it you touch...
  10. Making W10 **SHUTDOWN** Instead of HIbernating

in Windows 10 Support
    Making W10 **SHUTDOWN** Instead of HIbernating: How can I make Windows 10 shutdown instead of hibernating? Everytime I shutdown, then turn my PC back on, I have to do a hard reboot because VeraCrypt gets all confused. 48965

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what causes a desktop to go into sleep mode and shut down