Windows 10: New Update Killed Laptop

Discus and support New Update Killed Laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop was working fine yesterday, then suddenly bam! I can't even get passed the date and time screen. I did all the basics: restarted,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WhenBored, Jan 22, 2021.

1. WhenBored Win User

New Update Killed Laptop

My laptop was working fine yesterday, then suddenly bam! I can't even get passed the date and time screen.

I did all the basics: restarted, control+alt+delete, accessed that recovery environment thing, tried to system restore, uninstall updates, startup repair. The only option left is restoring to factory settings, I would greatly appreciate not doing this. I had a lot of pictures of family in the laptop.

I can't say for sure if its the update but another laptop in my possession had booting issues as well and its a new laptop so new that I got it 2 weeks ago I managed to fix the new one. But the other laptop is refusing to do anything. My best assumption is that both laptops received an update and proceeded to install into their systems when I was asleep. Because how is it even possible for 2 laptops that run on Windows 10 proceed to not work on the same day?

I am disappointed in the shoddy programming that practically killed one laptop and nearly finishing off the other. I want to file a complaint regarding this matter, but I don't know where.

UPDATE: Now its completely stuck on a black screen with a cursor.

:)

WhenBored, Jan 22, 2021
  2. btarunr Win User

Intel E5200 Gets Updated, R0 Stepping Coming Up

Intel's Pentium Dual-Core E5200 processor is getting on course for a specifications update. The chip will feature in a new, improved Wolfdale-2M core, spec'd out as the R0 stepping, from its current M0 stepping. The new stepping is intended to add new instructions, power-management features, and bring about changes in the chip-package. A short list of known changes is as follows:
    • CPUID changed from 10677 to 1067A
    • Power State Indicator (PSI) support with Intel 4 series chipsets
    • New instructions - XSAVE and XRSTOR
    • New S-spec and MM numbers
    • New halide-free chip package
    Due to the changed CPUID, users may require BIOS updates to detect the CPU. According to the company, E5200 R0 should be out by April 13.

Source: TechConnect Magazine

btarunr, Jan 22, 2021
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond New Update Killed Laptop :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jan 22, 2021
  4. btarunr Win User

New Update Killed Laptop

Intel Gives Core i3 and Core i5 Dual-Core Processors K0 Stepping Update

Intel is giving some existing 32 nm "Clarkdale" based Core i3 and Core i5 processors an update. The processors will transition to the new K0 stepping from the existing C2 stepping. The parts that will be made on the K0 silicon are Core i3 models 530 (new sSPEC: SLBX7), 540 (new sSPEC: SLBTD) and Core i5 models 650 (new sSPEC: SLBTJ), 660/661 (SLBTK/SLBTB), 670 (SLBTL). Newer and upcoming models such as the i3-550, i3-560, i5-665K, and i5-680 are already being built on the K0 stepping die. Motherboards will require a BIOS update to support the new K0 stepping processors.

The K0 stepping change includes the following highlights:
    • New S-spec and MM numbers for the converting products
    • Extended CPUID will change from 0x00020652 to 0x00020655
    • Host RevID will change from 0x12 to 0x18
    • K0 stepping package is pin compatible with C2 stepping package
    • Adds Processor Context ID (PCID) support
    The revised older SKUs that are built on K0 stepping will be market-available by October 16.

btarunr, Jan 22, 2021
Thema:

New Update Killed Laptop

1. New Update Killed Laptop - Similar Threads - Update Killed Laptop

2. KB5022845 update kills laptop camera

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5022845 update kills laptop camera: issue with update KB5022845.....update installed, camera can no longer be found on my Asus laptop. Uninstall the update, camera functions normally. How can I prevent the update from installing or how to fix my camera?...
  3. Windows 11 update has killed my new ASUS laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 update has killed my new ASUS laptop: Hi, my laptop is a ASUS X515EA which I bought some 6 months ago for a course I’m taking I have to use your office software, so had to buy a windows machine. It’s been used prob <20 times for my coursework only. The only extra software installed is O365 from my university. So...
  4. Latest Windows 11 Update Killed New HP Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latest Windows 11 Update Killed New HP Laptop: The latest windows 11 update has totally screwed my near new HP Laptop.When trying to restart, just sits in a never ending boot screen.Have tried multiple attempts to start in safe mode with no luck.Get as far Preparing Automatic Repair, then goes into a death circle for...
  5. Latest Windows 11 Update Killed New HP Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Latest Windows 11 Update Killed New HP Laptop: The latest windows 11 update has totally screwed my near new HP Laptop.When trying to restart, just sits in a never ending boot screen.Have tried multiple attempts to start in safe mode with no luck.Get as far Preparing Automatic Repair, then goes into a death circle for...
  6. Windows update killed my brand new laptop!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows update killed my brand new laptop!: After the most recent windows update, my laptop is completely dead. I can't turn it on at all. I tried three different chargers thinking maybe the battery died. I got nothing. No lights. Nothing! I just bought three laptops for my kids for school. I am schooling at home. We...
  7. Windows update killed my laptops

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update killed my laptops: In late 2018 we had yet another forced windows update that we cant actually turn off so my laptop went and updated its windows 10 installation and restarted. It attempted to boot into windows but its just displayed a flashing cursor for 2 seconds then a black screen. Despite...
  8. Update killed my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update killed my laptop: So like many people my computer just updated and is now useless. All of fixes do not work for me. I cannot click anything. Windows +e just gives me that another error "an attempt was made to reference a token that does not exists". My laptop was perfect before this update now...
  9. An update killed wifi on laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    An update killed wifi on laptop: So one of my laptop's updated recently for Windows 10 and now wifi is not working at all. Troubleshooter has given the error "Wifi doesn't have a valid ip configuration" on every connection I try. I've looked up what to do so i've tried all the typical netsh commands,...
  10. Anniversary update killed my laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary update killed my laptop: Hi guys Comin over from seven forums *Smile After a recent update, i shut down my notebook. Next time I turned it on it got suck right after POST, so all I see is a blank screen. This happens before windows even begins to load, it's basically a DOS style blank screen...