Windows 10: New Update Won't Boot With More Than One Hard Drive Detected

Discus and support New Update Won't Boot With More Than One Hard Drive Detected in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, After the recent Window's updates (1809), my OS stopped booting to desktop. It would get past the BIOS startup, and then hang forever on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TacticalByte, Jan 4, 2019.

1. New Update Won't Boot With More Than One Hard Drive Detected

Hello,

After the recent Window's updates (1809), my OS stopped booting to desktop. It would get past the BIOS startup, and then hang forever on the Window's loading screen.

After replacing MOBO, RAM, and even buying a new SSD to no avail, I am led to believe this is related to the new 1809 update. Here is what I've discovered:

If I have more than just one SSD and/or SATA hard drive plugged in, it gets stuck on the loading screen. If I unplug them all and just leave the main OS drive plugged in it, it boots quickly to desktop, no issues. At one point I inadvertently restored to a previous version of windows and everything worked fine again with the additional drives plugged in. However, after that reboot, Windows forced the update to 1809, did a restart, and I was stuck on the Windows loading screen once again. Again, I unplugged all of the additional volumes leaving just the main OS volume plugged in and it boots to desktop just fine again.

Is anyone else having this issue? I really need to be able to plug these additional hard drives in as I am one who dedicates an SSD to OS and everything else to other SSD's in the event I need to perform a full OS reinstall.

I'm running currently on Windows 10 Pro edition.

Thanks!

:)

TacticalByte, Jan 4, 2019
  2. sc4s2cg Win User

Gigabyte motherboard, pc won't bootup after recent hard drive change

So I've previously had this problem when I added new SATA hard drives to an old one, all I had to do was switch hard disk priority to the one I wanted to boot from. But that's not working right now.

Error message: AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI!
    Specs:
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte ma785gmt-ud2h
    • Four SATA hard drives, three 2tb and one 1tb
    • One IDE hard drive, 160gb
    • 6gb RAM
    • Everything else is the default
    What happened: I had an Amahi home server running on this PC with Ubuntu 12.04LTS as the OS. It was using the four SATA hard drives and everything was running smoothly. Then I read that it's easiest to have a setup where the OS/Amahi is installed on one small hard drive while the large hard drives are used to keep the files on, this makes it easy to update the OS without worrying about the files. So today I installed Ubuntu 12.04LTS on an old IDE 160gb hard drive that I had laying around, which would be perfect to use since there is exactly one IDE port on the motherboard.

I disconnected all hard drives, connected the IDE, installed Ubuntu, and rebooted. I got a "AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI!" message.

What I tried:
    • Have the IDE be given priority over other hard drives.
    • Connecting all the hard drives back, with and without the IDE hard drive. Same message.
    • Disconnect all hard drives, connect IDE, and set BIO to opimised defaults. Same message.
    • Disconnect CD drive with only IDE attached, same message. Reconnect CD drive, same message.
    • Disconnect CD drive with only SATA attached, same message. Reconnect CD drive, same message.
    • Disconnect CD drive with SATA and IDE attached, same message. Reconnect CD drive, same message.
    • Just IDE connected, mess with the peripheral settings by changing "OnChip SATA Type" to ATHCI, RAID, or IDE. Tried this with "As SATA Type" and with "IDE" set for the port4/5 type
    • Just IDE connected, disable SATA controller
    • Disconnect IDE, reconnect original hard drives. I still get the same DMI message.
    • Attempt to boot from the SATA hard drive that has Ubuntu on it, using each of the SATA ports.
    • Update BIOS to F10B, disabling the "Remember DMI" option. I reconnected all hard drives and the CD drive (the pdf said the 'system' will redetect all devices). Now I got the "AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI! Update Success" message, still hanging there. Rebooted, now it's the original message.
    So I am at a loss. Any suggestions?

Edit: there were many suggestions to try clear the CMOS, however that didn't seem to help the posters. I haven't tried that, but if people suggest I should then I will do so tomorrow.

sc4s2cg, Jan 4, 2019
  3. Ariel Aba Win User
    Old internal hard drive [with OS in it] not detected and not bootable in new PC

Hi Has'san,

Since your hard drive is not detected as a boot option in the BIOS and it is still recognized on your old computer, the issue might be the compatibility of your hard drive to the new motherboard. I highly suggest that you get in touch with the hardware manufacturers
    to verify the compatibility of your products.

Regards.

Ariel Aba, Jan 4, 2019
  4. red268 Win User

New Update Won't Boot With More Than One Hard Drive Detected

Hard Drive Not Detected!! New Update Won't Boot With More Than One Hard Drive Detected :(

Hi all,

Just got a new case, the Antec 1200, so I am guessing I put something back in the wrong place.

I moved everything over in to the new case and now my hard drive isn't detected. I got the message, 'DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER'

So I looked in the BIOS and it just says there aren't any hard drives!!

Please help me!!

Thanks!!

red268, Jan 4, 2019
Thema:

New Update Won't Boot With More Than One Hard Drive Detected

1. New Update Won't Boot With More Than One Hard Drive Detected - Similar Threads - Update Won't Boot

2. Computer Will Not Reboot Into More Than One Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Will Not Reboot Into More Than One Drive: I have two internal and two external drives. I wanted to switch one internal drive's operating system, but the computer only boots into a single drive. System configuration and Disk Management detect all the drives. Changing boot order from BIOS does nothing....
  3. Computer Will Not Reboot Into More Than One Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Will Not Reboot Into More Than One Drive: I have two internal and two external drives. I wanted to switch one internal drive's operating system, but the computer only boots into a single drive. System configuration and Disk Management detect all the drives. Changing boot order from BIOS does nothing....
  4. How to detect duplicate photos on more than one drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to detect duplicate photos on more than one drive: I have a large number of photos on a USB stick which I retrieved from the drive of a broken laptop. They almost certainly contain duplicates of photos on my working laptop. Is there a way of scanning both the Pictures folder on my laptop and the USB drive to detect them?...
  5. How to detect duplicate photos on more than one drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to detect duplicate photos on more than one drive: I have a large number of photos on a USB stick which I retrieved from the drive of a broken laptop. They almost certainly contain duplicates of photos on my working laptop. Is there a way of scanning both the Pictures folder on my laptop and the USB drive to detect them?...
  6. How to detect duplicate photos on more than one drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. more than one MBR

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    more than one MBR: My OS disk boots from start on in XP. Still need that OS as my UMAX 2200 scanner is only fully supported by XP drivers. Later on bought W7 ultimate and installed it as multiboot. EasyBCD does the trick. No problem. Runs both. Had to upgrade to W10. As W10 tells me how to run...
  8. Hard drive displays more storage than it can hold.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive displays more storage than it can hold.: So recently I went to check the storage on my hard drive, to see if its running out of space. But when I checked it it showed that my desktop folder had anywhere between 2.82 EB of files in it to 11.7 EB. All of the folders on the hard drive seem to have inflated sizes on the...
  9. Hard drive used space more than doubled...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard drive used space more than doubled...: Can't figure this out. Have a Tablet 2 in 1 with W10 and 32GB SSD. Have not installed any programs. A few days ago the size of the used space on he drive was 7.8 now, it is 16.6GB. Any clues? 63598
  10. Hard drive won't boot on one specific computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard drive won't boot on one specific computer: I have a Toshiba Satellite S55-A5294 laptop computer. It is running Windows 10. I had the drive encrypted using Jetico's BestCrypt full disk encryption. Several weeks ago, I was using Windows, put the computer to sleep, and when I came back an hour later and woke it up, I...