Windows 10: New USB devices plugged in stop being recognized, computer no longer shuts down properly

Discus and support New USB devices plugged in stop being recognized, computer no longer shuts down properly in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello! I've been having a recurring problem where, at one point can be as soon as after 24 hours, when coming back from work, all my USB drives will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Dai_Lol, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Dai_Lol Win User

New USB devices plugged in stop being recognized, computer no longer shuts down properly

Hello!

I've been having a recurring problem where, at one point can be as soon as after 24 hours, when coming back from work, all my USB drives will completely ignore new USB devices being plugged in. If they were already plugged in, they will keep working provided I don't try to plug them out and back in.

When this starts occurring, shutting down my PC no longer "works", as in, the Power icon on the tower never shuts off, I need to force shut it down by holding the button down for a few seconds. Rebooting this way fixes all issues until they start happening again after a few days.

There are a few symptoms that may or may not be related that I figure might help isolate the problem. I have suspicions they are related as they only happen after some days of leaving the computer open as well and usually at the same time the USB issue occurs as well:

- My High Definition Audio Bus stops working. I get an error on it in Hardware Manager and it's a 50/50 toss whether I can restart it or be forced to reboot the computer to fix it since attempting it might freeze the Hardware Manager. I have a 3 monitor setup where the 3rd screen is my living room TV I sometimes use to listen to videos in the living room. When this problem occurs, I can no longer transfer the Audio to this monitor since it doesn't exist in the list of available outputs anymore.

- I can no longer start games on Steam.

- I can encounter issues with going full screen when watching video content, either streaming or local videos where the image will freeze up for a few seconds whenever I go in or out of full screen.

What I've tried:

- Going through https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...rking-after-you-remove-or-insert-a-usb-device while the problem was occurring.

Method 1 scans for changes infinitely.

Method 3 froze the Device Manager.

The "Workaround" I didn't attempt since I don't have a registry entry called "USB", there are several USB entries so I didn't dare touch this.

Furthermore, I did find the advanced setting in my Control Panel's Power Settings about Selective Suspend and it was already set to Disabled.

- Complete computer shut down shutting down, unplugging EVERYTHING and holding the power button for a minute before replugging everything in

- Selective testing of USB devices to see if one of them was causing the issue: I'm not entirely through this one, but I feel like unplugging my external SSD drive actually did delay the problem occurring, however it did still happen eventually. Could this SSD external drive possibly be the problem?

Is all this pointing to some known problem I could fix? It is being extremely annoying to deal with, forcing me to reboot several times a week and I wish I could get rid of it. Thanks!

:)

Dai_Lol, Jan 12, 2020

2. USB device not recognized

hi...
    I am facing a problem. Even if I plug in my pen drive into my computer, then my computer is not reading it. I am getting the error message "USB device not recognized"?

ashleysimpson052, Jan 12, 2020
  3. DRDNA Win User
    USB device not recognized

Does this also happen on a different PC as well?

DRDNA, Jan 12, 2020
  4. New USB devices plugged in stop being recognized, computer no longer shuts down properly

Some USB Devices not recognized in Windows 10

Hi have Windows 10 Pro insider preview 10532 64bit Pro Intel i7 desktop PC.

I have multiple USB devices connected, USB 3 & 2. The USB HDD is working however my Samsung phone and kindle are no longer being recognized. The steps followed so far:

• Uninstalled all USB devices in device manager including controllers
    • Flashed BIOS to latest version
    • Updated USB drivers for the devices from manufacturers sites
    • Tried new USB cables

Please note: both devices are recognized by my Windows 10 Lenovo laptop.

I really don't want to fresh install, please suggest any diagnostics I can try.

Thanks

TonyHallett, Jan 12, 2020
Thema:

New USB devices plugged in stop being recognized, computer no longer shuts down properly

1. New USB devices plugged in stop being recognized, computer no longer shuts down properly - Similar Threads - USB devices plugged

2. USB device not recognized when plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB device not recognized when plugged in: When i plug in a usb stick into my laptop it makes a noise as though it knows it's there but won't display the contents. I've looked a loads of you tube videos which didn't solve the problem but i have noticed that I have a generic USB hub file listed under Universal Serial...
  3. USB device not recognized when plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB device not recognized when plugged in: When i plug in a usb stick into my laptop it makes a noise as though it knows it's there but won't display the contents. I've looked a loads of you tube videos which didn't solve the problem but i have noticed that I have a generic USB hub file listed under Universal Serial...
  4. What makes touchscreen stop being a touch screen and USB not recognize plug and play devices?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What makes touchscreen stop being a touch screen and USB not recognize plug and play devices?: I had to go back to Win 10 from 11 and get rid of Avast anti virus and turn on Win Defender. I had a Touch screen and a Logitech wireless mouse and a wired USB headset. The night I turned on Win Defender It got a Security Intelligence update. The next morning I had no touch...
  5. What makes touchscreen stop being a touch screen and USB not recognize plug and play devices?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What makes touchscreen stop being a touch screen and USB not recognize plug and play devices?: I had to go back to Win 10 from 11 and get rid of Avast anti virus and turn on Win Defender. I had a Touch screen and a Logitech wireless mouse and a wired USB headset. The night I turned on Win Defender It got a Security Intelligence update. The next morning I had no touch...
  6. USB not recognizing new devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB not recognizing new devices: Windows 11 not recognizing new USB devices, have tried different things and no changes, however it does recognize my iPhone so I know that the port is working. Any ideas?...
  7. Computer Not Shutting Down Properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Not Shutting Down Properly: Going to have to look into this tomorrow, but I've noticed a few times recently that when I shut down it seems to shut the OS down and my monitor goes off and everything - but the computer stays on. The light on the front stays on and it still makes a noise and I have to then...
  8. USB microphone stopped being recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB microphone stopped being recognized: Hello, I have been using my MXL Tempo microphone for around a year now and everything has been perfect with it until now. Around 3 weeks ago my mic stopped being recognized when I bought a boom arm for it and unplugged it and replugged it for setting all the cables and...
  9. Computer shuts down when USB is plugged in

Computer shuts down when USB is plugged in: When I plug an USB flash drive, the computer shuts down and display the blue screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-shuts-down-when-usb-is-plugged-in/8dd1bc79-9fc3-40a6-8374-706a09b124d3
  10. USB device not recognized - With no USB devices plugged in

USB device not recognized - With no USB devices plugged in: Just built a new gaming rig Sunday, haven't had a lot of time to mess around with it but Monday night and Tuesday morning the only issues I had were with some slow networking. Tuesday evening a new problem cropped up - constant USB device connected/disconnected sounds,...