Windows 10: New User in Family - Taskbar Doesn't Work

Discus and support New User in Family - Taskbar Doesn't Work in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I added my adult son to my family on the PC. I put him as an administrator. When I log on with his credentials, the system's taskbar does not work.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by jpschaper, Aug 28, 2017.

1. jpschaper Win User

New User in Family - Taskbar Doesn't Work

I added my adult son to my family on the PC. I put him as an administrator. When I log on with his credentials, the system's taskbar does not work. Cortana is also missing.

All I see in the taskbar's left side is a white windows icon, a magnifying glass, and the task mode icon. Nothing happens when I click them. On the right (wi-fi, sound, keyboard, time and date, and notifications), everything is unresponsive as well.

I tried every solution I could find on the web such as restarting windows explorer, running the file check, and using powershell to reinstall Windows apps. None of these solutions worked. Any other suggestions?

I started all this just so I could watch his purchased movies from XBOX One on my PC. And now I've spent like 4 hours trying to get the stupid operating system to work when I'm signed in as him. My user account still works perfect. It's just the new one I made for him that is screwed up. Hopefully someone here knows what I can do to fix it. If all else fails, can I take him off as a user without taking him out of my family and then put him back on?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. I'll check back tonight after work.

:)

jpschaper, Aug 28, 2017

2. Metro apps not working for some users (Windows 10)

I recently installed Windows 10 on my desktop. Then I created some user accounts for my family and everything was fine until I found some app icons disappeared from the taskbar and apps stopped working for these user accounts. Including the Windows store,
    mail and news. All users are administrators and all but one have Microsoft accounts.

Nila López, Aug 28, 2017
  3. Can't see the applications that I install them by the store and can't see the microsoft edge icons on the taskbar

Hi, my start doesn't open and I can't see the icons for the application and also the icon for edge application ,

but I see the icons for programs for desktop that I install on the taskbar

settings doesn't run.

I can access the control panel.

but I can't access the settings

I read that if I make a new user it will work

but I can't make a new user because the settings doesn't work.

Any help to fix this issue! would be great

Cheers

Ayman

Ayman Ghandour, Aug 28, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

This the keyboard or administrative command prompt method:

1) win + x (simultaneously)
    2) a
    3) alt + y (simultaneously)
    4) net localgroup administrators test /add
    (substitute a name for the word test)
    5) sfc /scannow
    6) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    7) chkdsk /scan
    8) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread
    9) shutdown /r
    10) when the computer reboots sign on with your new name

https://operating-systems.wonderhowt...ndows-0125689/

Steps 5 - 8 are to check the integrity of the operating system and drive.

zbook, Aug 28, 2017
  5. jpschaper Win User
    Step 5 said "did not find any integrity violations."
    Step 6 didn't work. It said "Error 87 The cleanup-image/restorehealth option is unknown."
    Step 7 said "found no problems."

Because there weren't any errors (not counting the one I couldn't do), I didn't bother copying everything.

So what now? Why did I need to add another user when what I want to do is fix the one I already have? I appreciate your help; I'm just trying to understand.

jpschaper, Aug 29, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    For user accounts you can attempt to fix them by working with registry commands.
    Most people don't work within the registry and when user accounts become corrupted they are no longer used and a new one is created.

In the left lower corner search type winver and post the windows version and build.
    The scannow command indicated that the operating system is OK.
    The dism commands are sometimes needed when scannow cannot complete or finds integrity violations that it cannot fix.

At this time you should have been able to create a new user account with a working task bar and cortana.

zbook, Aug 29, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    Quoting my earlier post in another thread. This should fix Taskbar / Cortana / Search functionality issues:

8. jpschaper Win User

zbook: The new profile has the same issues. Nothing works on the taskbar and Cortana is missing.

Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.540)

Kari: It won't let me delete. It says it is in use by system.

jpschaper, Aug 29, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
    Boot to Advanced Startup Options, selecting Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt (see tutorial: Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials ).

When in Command Prompt, enter following command to remove Hidden and System attributes from UsrClass.dat file:

attrib -h -s C:\Users\UsernameInQuestion\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

When done, delete the file with following command:

del /f C:\Users\UsernameInQuestion\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

Restart Windows with following command:

c:\Windows\System32\shutdown -r -t 0 -f

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New User in Family - Taskbar Doesn't Work - Similar Threads - User Family Taskbar

2. Game doesn't work on old user, but works on the new one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game doesn't work on old user, but works on the new one: Hello! I have a problem with Fallout New Vegas. In my current Windows user account my launcher doesn't launch the game, it just disappears for a few seconds and then shows launcher again. The most interesting part is that on new Windows user game works just fine. I've already...
  3. Game doesn't work on old user, but works on the new one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Game doesn't work on old user, but works on the new one: Hello! I have a problem with Fallout New Vegas. In my current Windows user account my launcher doesn't launch the game, it just disappears for a few seconds and then shows launcher again. The most interesting part is that on new Windows user game works just fine. I've already...
  4. Why doesn't family safety work?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why doesn't family safety work?: Good evening! My problem would be that the parental safety system simply does not work. Neither from a phone nor from a computer. I want to leave the family safety family group, because in 2 months I will only be 18 years old and there are things that Microsoft does not...
  5. Why doesn't family safety work?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why doesn't family safety work?: Good evening! My problem would be that the parental safety system simply does not work. Neither from a phone nor from a computer. I want to leave the family safety family group, because in 2 months I will only be 18 years old and there are things that Microsoft does not...
  6. Why doesn't family safety work?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Taskbar not working for 2nd user loging in doesn't matter which user

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar not working for 2nd user loging in doesn't matter which user: Since some month now i faced the follwong problem: If a 2nd user wants to login while another just locked the session this user won't have a working taskbar click on start shortly blacksout screen, hover over taskbar shows loading spinner, no icon but the defaults are loaded....
  8. Microsoft family doesn't work for one child's account on new computer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft family doesn't work for one child's account on new computer: I have a new computer with a newly installed windows 10 professional. When I allowed one of my kids to use this computer. The restrictions setup in Microsoft family doesn't work at all. I did the verification for both myself and my child. Please let me know how to deal with...
  9. Taskbar doesn't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar doesn't work: Hi. I dont know what happened but to day i turn on my pc and i try to right click one of my apps on the taskbar nothing happened. It doesn't show the menu where i can unpin my app from the taskbar. Then I noticed that when I move my mouse over one of the apps and the little...
  10. Taskbar doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar doesn't work: Hello, today after booting up my PC I noticed that my taskbar would overlap with the YouTube video I was watching. At first I thought that i could just fix it by restarting the Explorer using the Task Manager, but after that didn't work, I just restarted my computer. That...