Windows 10: New user on computer during update - hacked or bug in update? Cannot log into computer now.

Discus and support New user on computer during update - hacked or bug in update? Cannot log into computer now. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So my son was resetting his computer using the update option from the Windows system menu. He updated drivers, and selected "update and shut down" but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JKleppin, Dec 18, 2019.

1. JKleppin Win User

New user on computer during update - hacked or bug in update? Cannot log into computer now.

So my son was resetting his computer using the update option from the Windows system menu. He updated drivers, and selected "update and shut down" but during the update portion of the process, he lost control of the computer - somebody else's name popped up and he was not able to log in or stop the process, so he shut the computer down. I turned off the wifi to isolate the machine, and restarted it - the user name on the log into windows screen is not his, and is not a name we recognize at all, and there does not appear to be any way to log in. I have no idea where this new name came from, nor why this time the reset failed to work properly. None of my searching has come up with this exact problem nor have I found a fix that I can do from the locked screen. He swears he did not download anything and states he has never given control of his computer to anyone, ever.

I have no idea how to help him at this point because I am not even sure how to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows if I can't get access to the computer at all.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

:)

JKleppin, Dec 18, 2019
  2. simrick Win User

hacked? - computer logged into user name I never use

Hi gypsycomp and welcome to Tenforums.
    This is indeed strange. You are absolutely sure you didn't log into the Admin account to install a program, make some changes to the system, etc.? I don't understand how someone could manipulate the computer, if you put it in hibernation when you left. Did you notice if it was installing any updates? I am just wondering if this Windows Update setting has anything to do with it:

Automatically finish setting up PC after update

• Some updates require you to restart your PC and sign in to Windows in order to finish installing the update, which means you might sign in to Windows and find you can’t use your PC until the update is finished. Windows 10 helps prevent this from happening by allowing Windows to use your sign in info to create a special token. This token is used to automatically sign in after a restart, finish setting up your PC, and then lock your PC to help keep your account and personal info safe.

simrick, Dec 18, 2019
  3. Computer update

For what? And what will this computer be used for?

Bill_Bright, Dec 18, 2019
  4. gypsycomp Win User

New user on computer during update - hacked or bug in update? Cannot log into computer now.

hacked? - computer logged into user name I never use

I got home today and woke my laptop from hibernation and discovered it was logged into the Admin account, which I never use. I am the only one with overt access to my computer.
    I use a secured wifi, windows firewall (which may be my mistake), and AVG.
    It seems I may have been hacked.
    Any suggestions on discovering what may have happened and, if I was hacked, what I can do to protect myself?
    Thanks in advance.

gypsycomp, Dec 18, 2019
Thema:

1. New user on computer during update - hacked or bug in update? Cannot log into computer now. - Similar Threads - user computer during

2. Cannot log into computer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot log into computer: Quick backstory: I had two microsoft acccounts one hotmail, one gmail. I wanted to use my gmail address as my only microsoft account. I followed the steps or so I believed to make the changes to my computer, and the hotmail account was deleted by ms 30 days later. Now I am...
  3. Cannot log into computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot log into computer: Quick backstory: I had two microsoft acccounts one hotmail, one gmail. I wanted to use my gmail address as my only microsoft account. I followed the steps or so I believed to make the changes to my computer, and the hotmail account was deleted by ms 30 days later. Now I am...
  4. Windows 10: Cannot log into computer after update

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10: Cannot log into computer after update: I updated my computer last week when I was about to close the computer. It shows that I needed to update and then shut down so I did it. Then yesterday when I went to log into my computer, I typed in my PIN, but I doesn’t work for some reason. I realized it said “sign in...
  5. Windows Updated My Computer, Now It's Full of Bugs

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Updated My Computer, Now It's Full of Bugs: I have a Lenovo ideapad 3.17 with Windows 10, version 2004, OS build 19041.1110 installed. Yesterday, Microsoft 'helped' me by automatically installing an update. Now, my laptop is very buggy. Before the update, it was working great with no problems at all. Not being a...
  6. New update has my computer bugged

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New update has my computer bugged: Ok so, there was an update recently, which showed the weather and stuff, but when i got this update, i launched my computer, getting ready to open my discord and play some video games, but my pc is just glitched. i was on my browser, and i was trying to go to my discord by...
  7. Computer freezes during update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer freezes during update: I just reinstall my system and I install windows 10 (1809) During the automatic update (to 1909) my computer just freezes. I can't even restart it because it freezes during the loading. All I can do is to run troubleshooting options and run in safe mode. The problem is that I...
  8. Win update now cannot log in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win update now cannot log in: After an update I can no longer log into windows. The screen starts out clear, then when I try to log in ( hit enter) the screen blurs and no log in box appears and nothing else happens. I have restarted several times and still the same issue. I can get to safe mode and I...
  9. cannot log in to computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot log in to computer: When I switch on I cannot type anything into the password box. cannot log in unless I go to forgotten password and change my password every time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-log-in-to-computer/206ca10a-983a-48d8-97a2-c2115d4de513
  10. hacked? - computer logged into user name I never use

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    hacked? - computer logged into user name I never use: I got home today and woke my laptop from hibernation and discovered it was logged into the Admin account, which I never use. I am the only one with overt access to my computer. I use a secured wifi, windows firewall (which may be my mistake), and AVG. It seems I may have...