Windows 10: New /Users file being created with old deleted user name.

Discus and support New /Users file being created with old deleted user name. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; A bit of background may be needed for this one-When I first installed Windows, the original user file was C:\Users\Alexfor reasons that I'll not get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by DVioletT, Dec 7, 2021.

1. DVioletT Win User

New /Users file being created with old deleted user name.

A bit of background may be needed for this one-When I first installed Windows, the original user file was C:\Users\Alexfor reasons that I'll not get into in explicit detail, I needed to change the name of this user file. I used a command-line process to do so, and changed it to what it is now, which isC:\Users\MichaelThere have been no major issues until now with the change in name of the user file. However, I've recently been tinkering with WSL Ubuntu, and found myself running into some issues with permissions- evidently WSL and repositories cloned through it were checking for permissions f

:)

DVioletT, Dec 7, 2021
  2. Martmcd Win User

User file name

when you first set up the user it creates folders using the username, in windows 10 you cannot change the folder names without causing problems.

changing the username after the folders are created does not change the folder names.

the only solution is to create a new user, using the name you want for the folders,

move all the data across to the new folders

delete the 'old' user (deleting files)

rename the new user to the username you want.

Martmcd, Dec 7, 2021
  3. WizardWN Win User
    USER NAME

Hi,

This happen to me also. Create a new local user account with the corrected user name (alanb_000) and password.

Restart computer and Logon to new account. This will setup account. Look at the C:\Users and both old and new users should show. When finished Restart computer and logon to old account. In old account go Control Panel, User Accounts, Change your new
    account from user to administrator. Restart computer and logon to the new account.
    Warning this next step will delete all user files on old account.
    Go to Control Panel, User Accounts and Delete the old unwanted account. Restart computer you should see only your wanted account. Login. Go to Microsoft account.

WizardWN, Dec 7, 2021
  4. New /Users file being created with old deleted user name.

User Account Folder Name

Here's a workaround to rename the user account folder:

• Unlink your Microsoft Account from your Windows 10 device which will result for your account to be converted as a Local account.
    • Create a new Local account, name it using your preferred account and folder name then set it as Administrator.
    • Sign in to your Windows 10 device using the newly created local admin account.
    • Link your Microsoft Account to the newly created local admin account.

After doing the steps above, check if this resolves your concern. If so, migrate all your files from the old account to the new user account and delete the previous one.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Gerdimae Sal, Dec 7, 2021
Thema:

New /Users file being created with old deleted user name.

1. New /Users file being created with old deleted user name. - Similar Threads - Users file being

2. Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users: Hello,I would like to delete an old user's folder in C:\Users but there is the folder AppData and the file NTUSER.DAT which prevent me from doing so. Is there a solution to this problem I've also tried taking ownership of the folder, but it doesn't fix my...
  3. Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users: Hello,I would like to delete an old user's folder in C:\Users but there is the folder AppData and the file NTUSER.DAT which prevent me from doing so. Is there a solution to this problem I've also tried taking ownership of the folder, but it doesn't fix my...
  4. New /Users file being created with old deleted user name.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New /Users file being created with old deleted user name.: A bit of background may be needed for this one-When I first installed Windows, the original user file was C:\Users\Alexfor reasons that I'll not get into in explicit detail, I needed to change the name of this user file. I used a command-line process to do so, and changed it...
  5. New /Users file being created with old deleted user name.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New /Users file being created with old deleted user name.: A bit of background may be needed for this one-When I first installed Windows, the original user file was C:\Users\Alexfor reasons that I'll not get into in explicit detail, I needed to change the name of this user file. I used a command-line process to do so, and changed it...
  6. User file name

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User file name: okay there was that problem that I tried to change the user file name as it contained a trademark symbol and this wasn't compatible with android studio SDK, so I followed a video on youtube and it totally erased many many things, like the programs in taskbar, the browser, the...
  7. User name profile change but user account was deleted

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    User name profile change but user account was deleted: I was trying to change the name of my account by regedit.exe, I did it but I used command promt to run it, but now my user account disappeared and all my data as well, I can't find anything...
  8. New user accounts being created - possibly virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    New user accounts being created - possibly virus: I noticed today that 3 new accounts had been created yesterday on my computer. So today I ran Avast, Malware Bytes, and Microsoft Defender. All three came back clean. These accounts each has 10 files added, and had been created with three permissions: "Read and...
  9. I created a user name as "Jeremy" in Windows 10 Pro, but it created a user folder named...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I created a user name as "Jeremy" in Windows 10 Pro, but it created a user folder named...: How do I change it? It is very annoying with the name not appearing correctly or not being given an option to change this. Microsoft do not tell me it is by design! This is not a great design. It used to work in the previous versions; so don't make it worse in new...
  10. Deleting user name and password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Deleting user name and password: A surface pro 4 was given as a Christmas present. Though a very nice machine, it is more complicated than expected. I am returning it, but want to delete My wife's user name and password, but so far have been unsuccessful. How do I sanitize this machine back to its original...