Windows 10: New W10 PC - Cortana says "opening word" but opens wordpad instead, every time.

Discus and support New W10 PC - Cortana says "opening word" but opens wordpad instead, every time. in Cortana to solve the problem; This is a brand-new Lenovo Yoga 11e PC with W10 installed. I bought Office Home & Student 2019 and entered the key, got the Office activated display.... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by car377, Dec 22, 2018.

1. car377 Win User

New W10 PC - Cortana says "opening word" but opens wordpad instead, every time.

This is a brand-new Lenovo Yoga 11e PC with W10 installed. I bought Office Home & Student 2019 and entered the key, got the Office activated display. I can open Word manually, but when I say, "Hey Cortana, open word", Cortana displays both word and wordpad, and selecting either one gets wordpad, never word.

:)

car377, Dec 22, 2018

2. Wordpad wants to open with Word 2016 instead as a WordPad document

Wordpad wants to open with Word 2016 instead of as a WordPad document

New W10 PC - Cortana says "opening word" but opens wordpad instead, every time. [​IMG]

New W10 PC - Cortana says "opening word" but opens wordpad instead, every time. [​IMG]

I'm setting up a new Dell Inspiron 15 (x64) laptop. Windows 10 Home (x64). And want to have WordPad to open as a WordPad document.
    --- The top of the document shows Word (Unlicensed product)
    --- The user does not want to install Microsoft Office 2016.

Is it possible to have WordPad open as WordPad in this situation?

I have 2 Windows 10 computers that were upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without any Microsoft Office or a Microsoft account on either one of them.
    --- I use WordPad on them and I don't recall having problems installing & using WordPad.
    --- Is the above issue because modern Windows 10 systems require Word 2016 in order to use WordPad which in turn would require a Microsoft account?

MeAndMyComputer, Dec 22, 2018
  3. Edwin Win User
    Wordpad wants to open with Word 2016 instead as a WordPad document

Right click an .rtf file and make the following changes:

Edwin, Dec 22, 2018
  4. Bree Win User

word to wordpad

It seems quite common these days that new PCs come with Word as the default association for documents as a 'advert' to try and get you to buy Word. It is easy to change the default association to Wordpad.

Wordpad files will not allow write permission.

Thema:

1. New W10 PC - Cortana says "opening word" but opens wordpad instead, every time. - Similar Threads - W10 Cortana says

2. why word docs open as wordpad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why word docs open as wordpad: when i open a word doc it opens as word appi am unfamiliar with word app and do not wish to use it as i can not see formattinghow can i remove word app and replace with word doc as a defultwhen i search, i cannot even find MS Word as an option on my laptop...
  3. why word docs open as wordpad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why word docs open as wordpad: when i open a word doc it opens as word appi am unfamiliar with word app and do not wish to use it as i can not see formattinghow can i remove word app and replace with word doc as a defultwhen i search, i cannot even find MS Word as an option on my laptop...
  4. why word docs open as wordpad

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. WordPad takes a long time to open or not opening

in Windows 10 News
    WordPad takes a long time to open or not opening: [IMG]If WordPad takes too long to open or just won’t open on your Windows PC, this guide will help you fix the issue. Why is my WordPad file not opening? If your WordPad app is not opening, it might be due to different reasons. Some potential causes of this problem include...
  6. cortana won't open word

in Cortana
    cortana won't open word: I asked her to open word but she said sorry I can't help with that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-wont-open-word/735b3318-5d5a-4acc-a91d-8cd00968a407
  7. Attachments opening in Word instead of downloading to PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Attachments opening in Word instead of downloading to PC: I use a Mac at work and a PC at home, so I use icloud.com on the infrequent occasion that I work from home. This means that I download documents from icloud.com, save them to my laptop, and open them in Word online. Recently the documents started opening in Word, rather than...
  8. Opening Wordpad document in Word

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Opening Wordpad document in Word: Hi team. What would happen if I wrote a text in Wordpad and then opened it in Word? Would it mess up everything? Also, does anyone know whether a free Word Programme is included in Windows? I was going to pay to renew my subscription, but realised I already have access to...
  9. Cortana says it will open word, but won't

in Cortana
    Cortana says it will open word, but won't: *I have a system running with French as the main language, sentences I put here are translations* Hey, I've been toying with Cortana, and enabled 'Hey Cortana'. I've been trying to use it to open Microsoft Word 2016 lately, but witnessed something strange. At first I...
  10. Wordpad wants to open with Word 2016 instead as a WordPad document

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wordpad wants to open with Word 2016 instead as a WordPad document: Wordpad wants to open with Word 2016 instead of as a WordPad document [img] [img] I'm setting up a new Dell Inspiron 15 (x64) laptop. Windows 10 Home (x64). And want to have WordPad to open as a WordPad document. --- The top of the document shows Word...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can cortana write in wordpad

2. cortana search for word pad

3. Hey cortina where is symbols in wordpad

4. how to set cortana to open microsoft word instead of wordpad,
  5. cortana wont open word opens wordpad,
  6. whenever I open a word document it opens in notepad instead,
  7. hey cortana open word opens notepad,
  8. cortana and wordpad,
  9. cortana open word not wortpad,
  10. hey cortana open microsoft word open wordpad,
  11. cortana opening notepade instaed of texpad,