Windows 10: New W10 User Questions (Basic Questions, Please)

Discus and support New W10 User Questions (Basic Questions, Please) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, Brand new user. a. The new PC came with McAfee anti virus. Should I use it ? Is it as good as AVG, e.g., which I used on my old W7 PC... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Robert11, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Robert11 Win User

New W10 User Questions (Basic Questions, Please)

Hello,

Brand new user.

a. The new PC came with McAfee anti virus.
    Should I use it ?

Is it as good as AVG, e.g., which I used on my old W7 PC ? Use them both ?

b. And, how do I turn on the "Defender" anti virus which I understand is part of
    the W10 package ?

Would it interfere with McAfee or AVG ? How good is it ?

c. How do I turn on the Firewall; I'm assuming there is one like in W7 ?

Much thanks,
    Bob

:)

Robert11, Nov 18, 2015

2. N95 - basic user questions!

There is no way to have the slider close all programs.

Also, don't close programs using the button that you would use to hang up a call... you need to exit programs properly otherwise, they stay in running and eat up memory.

If you hold your left menu button, the phone will show a list of all applications currently running. from that screen, you can close any apps by pressing the 'C' key.

The camera noise does not play when the phone is in Silent profile. I'm not sure how you would silence it in other profiles.

Message Edited by noodoo on 01-Sep-2008 10:16 AM

noodoo---01, Nov 18, 2015
  3. judbut Win User
    N95 - basic user questions!

Hi,

I got an N95 yesterday and so have only just started using it, but a couple of 'issues' (well slight annoyances for me) have popped up already:

1. With all other slide phones I have had, once you closed the slide it exited all programmes/applications and/or ended calls. This does not appear to happen on the N95 - when you open the slide or unlock the phone you are still on the page you where on when
    the slide was closed. Is there a way of getting it so closing the slide exits all and goes back to the start page (i.e. the one with the wallpaper, clock, network etc)?

2. Minor annoyance here, but may as well ask, can you switch the camera shutter noise off?

Cheers in advance for your help

judbut, Nov 18, 2015
  4. Phone Man Win User

McAfee, AVG and Defender are all anti-virus programs and you should only run one. In fact Defender will get turned off when another one is installed.

Right click the Start button and select Control Panel.

Then select Security and Maintenance and under Security it will show your the status of the Firewall, Virus and Spyware and which program is running what.

Control panel also has links to Defender and Firewall.

That McAfee is a trial version and at some point you will have to buy it.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Nov 18, 2015
  5. mrpumpkin Win User
    a) You may use it, but since it came bundled with your new PC, it is likely a 30 day free trial and will require a paid subscription after that. As far as protection, here is a link that might help you.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-8/

b) As was posted, Windows defender will be turned off automatically with the installation of a 3rd party anti-virus. To confirm this you can navigate in the start menu. Hit 'all apps' and scroll to Windows system, it's available there.

c) as a second option for the firewall, you can go to settings, choose 'network and internet' and you should see a link for firewall settings. It is automatically activated.

Enjoy the new PC

mrpumpkin, Nov 18, 2015
  6. Borg 386 Win User
    Some people find McAfee a bit buggy & somewhat draconian. It probably is a 30 day trial, either that or it comes with a 1 year service once it's activated. That depends on the manufacturer & the contract they have with the AV company. Nowadays 30 days is the norm.

I would caution you that, should you decide to remove McAfee, be sure to use the uninstaller provided by the AV company as this removes it cleanly (in most cases). Any leftover orphan files can cause havoc on a OS. You can find a list of uninstallers here.

ESET Knowledgebase

Borg 386, Nov 18, 2015
  7. All good advice here already. I'm not a McAfee fan at all, and I would definitely tell you not to pay for it. There are plenty of quality free anti-virus programs that are better than McAfee. The advice to uninstall cleanly is great, because of there are leftover files, they could interfere with another AV software application.

DeaconFrost, Nov 18, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

If you decide to uninstall McAfee, you will need to Download and run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) tool at: https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter...D15705xi1e2_53 to thoroughly get rid of it, as with all AV's they hook deeeeep in your system and simply uninstalling is not enough, there are also rootkits that need to be cleaned up(yes legit software also uses rootkits*Smile).

Cliff S, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New W10 User Questions (Basic Questions, Please) - Similar Threads - W10 User Questions

2. Basic Font question?

in Windows 10 Support
    Basic Font question?: Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1110 Never had the need to do this before, but how do you install new fonts into the Font folder? I go to the Font folder in C/Windows/Fonts, but I can find no way to install the new fonts I have? They are ttf type. I tried drag and drop, doesn't...
  3. W10 Pro Family & Other Users Question

in Windows 10 Customization
    W10 Pro Family & Other Users Question: Howdy,I've been pondering this for some time now. I created a "Other User" on my PC to have login permission. This is also another Microsoft Based Account using MS Hello for a login A Carry over from their laptopThis account. Well. Takes anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes to...
  4. MS MAIL Basic Questions, Please (COPY and PASTE Questions)

in Browsers and Email
    MS MAIL Basic Questions, Please (COPY and PASTE Questions): Hi folks. Thanks for previous help. Using W10 Trying to learn how to use MS Mail. Sure is a 'convoluted" program. a. I would like to select a line or two in an eMail I received, and paste it to another document, or save it on the desktop perhaps. I don't want to use the...
  5. taskbar questions(W10)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    taskbar questions(W10): Going to make this super quick So i use Auto Hide and was wondering two things. Is there a way to speed up the task bar show/hide so that it pops up instantly when i put my mouse by it and it disappears instantly when i move my mouse away. I know removing the fade is a way to...
  6. Permissions - Basic Questions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions - Basic Questions: 1) Has Microsoft changed the names they use for Principal in WIndows 10 versus Windows 7? 2) The following file (see original and new) -- prior to my messing with editing permissions -- had a line for "Trusted Installer". After playing with permissions I attempted to put...
  7. w10 reformat question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    w10 reformat question: I have a friend with a 7 year old dell inspiron and it came originally with 8.1 and he took the free upgrade to 10. If he reformats with 8.1 can it once again be upgraded for free with 10?...
  8. Basic Question about User Permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Basic Question about User Permissions: Hello, I am trying to set up a second user on my laptop (Windows 10) for the first time. The idea is to give a colleague access to a single folder and its subfolders, but not its parent folders or any other folders on the machine. I have created a new user and, from the...
  9. Some basic questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Some basic questions: At the moment I am using Win 7 (Dell OEM) and still considering Win 10. However, there are a few basic questions that I would be grateful for answers to. 1) I have Windows updates set to 'ask before downloading'. The impression I get from the media and internet is that MS...
  10. A Few Basic Questions; Brand New User

in Windows 10 Support
    A Few Basic Questions; Brand New User: Hello, Thanks for previous help. Sure is a lot to know. Blame it on old age now. A few questions, please: a. How can I have the PC, when it is shut off entirely, also shut off the Monitor (entirely) ? b. When not using overnight, is it "better" to let the PC go...