Windows 10: New Win 10 install-computer locks up

Discus and support New Win 10 install-computer locks up in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It is a process of elimination I'm afraid. Sorry I can't suggest anything more useful. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mooly, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Mooly Win User

New Win 10 install-computer locks up

It is a process of elimination I'm afraid. Sorry I can't suggest anything more useful.

Mooly, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Atom1 Win User

I recently took an Asus K73E laptop and installed a new clean hard drive and a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. With no other software installed, and nothing running, if I leave the computer on and idle, after a while it will lock up and I have to perform a hard power off and on to restart. Most of what I've read suggests that the problem is BIOS or drivers. My last update was KB4093110 on April 12, 2018.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this? Prior to installing Win 10 it did not lock up the way it is now, so I believe is it software/firmware issue. I did install more RAM during this process, but I've tested the memory and it checked out.

:)

Atom1, Apr 21, 2018
  3. win 10 install locks up computer after enterin pin #.

At the install point of installing Win 10 over 8.1, when inputting pin# option, the compute crashes and won't reboot. it is DEAD. HELP!!!!!

RobertMcKelvey, Apr 21, 2018
  4. New Win 10 install-computer locks up

win 10 install locks up computer after enterin pin #.

Hi Robert,

I am sorry to know that the system crashes while installing Windows 10.

• What when you say Pin# option, are you entering # key and system is crashing?
    • Why are you entering # key?
    Use the power button to restart your computer three times. This will start the Windows Recovery Environment.

Then try to repair Windows 10/8.1.

• In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click
      Troubleshoot.

• Tap or click Startup Settings.

If you don't see Startup Settings, tap or click Advanced options, and then tap or click
      Startup Settings.

• Tap or click Restart, and then wait while your computer restarts.

• On the Startup Settings screen, choose an option(Repair).

• Sign in to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.
    Then if it is still on Windows 8.1, then try the steps below to install Windows 10.

1. Disable (preferably uninstall) your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.

2. Restart a few times and try again.

3. Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader).

4. Do a clean boot and try again.

This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. It starts Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs.

How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" in the above link.

5. If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both and attempt setup again.

6. If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi and proceed with the installation.

7. If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.

8. If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account

9. If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).

Having issues with your Windows 10 upgrade? Get help here:

windows 10 upgrade

Get help with Windows 10 upgrade and installation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-install-errors-windows-10

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Apr 21, 2018
  5. Mooly Win User
    It could well be a driver issue. You could check the power plan settings and see if the lockup occurs when the laptop enters sleep mode. Might be worth altering the settings to 'never sleep' and seeing if that gives any clue.

Always worth checking device manager to see if anything has any yellow exclamation marks against it indicating a possible non recognised device or other issue.

It may be also be worth trying the Asus site and seeing what drivers are available. Typically video drivers and Wi-Fi and network adapters are the most troublesome.

Its a process of elimination really. Hopefully others will have some more advanced tips you can try.

Mooly, Apr 21, 2018
  6. Atom1 Win User
    I have the power setting to never sleep or hibernate; it's plugged into power all the time. Everything in the device manager is ok. I have looked to Asus for different drivers, but have not been able find anything different. I am sure the display adapter is up to date.

Thanks for the response; I'll keep looking.

Atom1, Apr 21, 2018
  7. Mooly Win User
    Would looking in 'event viewer' or 'reliability history' show give any clues I wonder ?

When you clean install W10 it will automatically check for driver updates. If you clean install again you could try initially not connecting to a network and just seeing if the problem occurs with the default drivers installed.

New HDD. Could there be any driver or other issues there ? Do you have the original W10 installation on the old drive. If so then you could look and see what drivers are actually installed.

See what the others think *Smile

Mooly, Apr 21, 2018
  8. Atom1 Win User

I haven't been able to learn anything by looking in the event viewer. I have disable Windows driver update, so eventually I'll try some other drivers and see what happens. I've also disabled both network adapters for the time being so no updating for now.

Atom1, Apr 21, 2018
Thema:

1. New Win 10 install-computer locks up - Similar Threads - install computer locks

2. Locked up computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Locked up computer: Last night when I logged in my computer was filled with warnings bells and whistles . A voice was saying don't touch nothing but phone 1-844-205-7522 they even put the number on my task bar . I phoned and long story short I need to know if I did the right thing BEFORE I have...
  3. BSOD New Computer Fresh Win 10 Install

BSOD New Computer Fresh Win 10 Install: Hey Guys, I have just built a new AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Computer (all details in profile) and I am experiencing random BSOD's. I have installed the latest drivers and reinstalled windows but no joy. It seems to happen when I am not actively using the computer (I am a gamer and...
  4. New W10 Pro installation locks up.

New W10 Pro installation locks up.: Hi, Running 20H2 build 19042.867 Recently did a complete re installation on a news SSD From time to time it just stops. I have a few DCOM errors but one error pointed to possibly the Windows Driver Foundation so I went hunting. I cannot find WUDFSVC.dll on this...
  5. New computer will not restart after installing new win 10 updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    New computer will not restart after installing new win 10 updates: A few days ago I bought a new computer, set it up and turned it on. In order to continue it asked me for my Microsoft account code number. Now my other computer that was up to date with win 10 I have a pin number that I use. So I had to create a account using a code number....
  6. computer locked up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    computer locked up: my computer has locked up by a fake support scam. How do I unlock my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/computer-locked-up/36a3d5ec-9e19-4ea4-b121-ee68c04d55c3
  7. Computer lock up

Computer lock up: My computer locks up, in any program including Windows 10 help page, sometimes for only 10 seconds sometimes for over 30 minutes, can anyone suggest why and how to fix the problem?...
  8. Win 10 start up locked 2 computers

Win 10 start up locked 2 computers: win 10 recently hanging up on start up with win icon and circling icon and never progresses this started a few days ago on parallels now on a totally separate win 10 computer with separate license think secondary to update cant access anything to create win 10 start up...
  9. computer locking up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    computer locking up: Hi - Windows installed updates two days ago, and since I have been having issues with it completely locking up. Should I try to roll back the latest updates? Thanks, Christina...
  10. New install of Win 10 on older computer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New install of Win 10 on older computer?: I was given a laptop that came with Windows 8.1. The owner removed the memory and HDD because they thought computer went bad. I replaced the memory and HDD with some spare parts I had. The HDD had a old installation of Win 10 from when I replaced it with a SSD. The laptop is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system lockup can occur during reboot

2. mew computer locks up installing windows