Windows 10: New WIN 10 Install on new SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD

Discus and support New WIN 10 Install on new SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is just what is says. A fresh win 10 install on a new SSD. Do not explain to me about cloning. To date I've upgraded the BIOS (UEFI) on a ASUS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hiltonr92, Apr 2, 2016.

1. hiltonr92 Win User

New WIN 10 Install on new SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD

This is just what is says. A fresh win 10 install on a new SSD. Do not explain to me about cloning.

To date I've upgraded the BIOS (UEFI) on a ASUS P67 Performance Gen3 motherboard. I've changed the SATA Mode to AHCI. I can see the drive in the BIOS.

The Windows installer the page where it lists the drive partitions. I only see one drive partio

Drive 0 Partition 1 239.9GB 232.8 GB Primary

I get the error
    Windows can't be installed on drive 0 particion 1. (Show Detailes)

The New button is greyed out and when I select next I get

We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files.

Thoughts?

:)

hiltonr92, Apr 2, 2016

2. Windows 10 Anniversary update for 32GB eMMC budget laptops?

I have a NUC with i5 processor Bought with 2G Ram and 32G emmc. I had no problem with upgrading to 128G and 4G. I copied the installed emmc using a usb reader to a

New WIN 10 Install on new SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD [​IMG]

Samsung 250GB 960 Evo M.2 SSD

and samsungs proprietory program to copy installed emmc to samsung then swapped in new hdd no worries afert that

Perhaps ditching your 32G emmc is an answer?

AnthonyGaskin, Apr 2, 2016
  3. atalenezi Win User
    Do I have to reinstall Windows 10 after changing SSD?

Hello everyone,

I have a custom built PC, but I had someone else assemble it for me and he put in the wrong SSD (I have a 250GB SSD for the OS and anything that wants to be with the OS, and a 2TB HDD for everything else). I asked for a Samsung 850 Evo but he put in a 750
    Evo, now I would have to remove the 750 Evo from my PC, and give it to him and he will give me the 850 Evo.

My question is as follows: Since my OS is stored in the old SSD, will I be able to reinstall Windows 10 on the new SSD without a problem? or could it think that it is a different PC and therefore will not allow me to install Windows 10 as it is a one-time
    installation only?

Thank you in advance for your help.

atalenezi, Apr 2, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Hello hiltonr92 and welcome to the forums. See if this will help https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

Are you installed in UEFI Mode? If so, when you boot from the USB drive use the entry that says UEFI and the name of your USB. If not in UEFI, boot from the name of your USB without UEFI in front of it. Delete all partitions on the drive until it says unallocated and then click the 'NEW" button. The installer will create all the necessary partitions. I hope that helps.

essenbe, Apr 2, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    If the existing partition on the drive is 100% the capacity of the drive, then Windows setup has no place to create an EFI System partition to boot from.

NavyLCDR, Apr 2, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    When you get into the installer, you have the option of deleting the existing disk layout and starting over. As a corollary to NavyLCDR's preceding item, this will give the installer the room it needs to create the disk layout that will include the EFI partition and possibly also a recovery partition as well. Thus, for example, here's what my disk layout looks like on my production PC, just recently created for a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD as well:

New WIN 10 Install on new SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD [​IMG]

The 47.69 GB unallocated at the far right reflects my use of Samsung Magician to overprovision the drive (This gives it room to grab unused sectors in the future, as current sectors exceed the recommended write limit, or show themselves to be defective.)
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 3, 2016
  7. iamc3k Win User
    Looking at the disk image, I find my Samsung Evo to be partitioned differently. From left to right, I show: C, the (Boot, Page File, etc.) main partition; a 450MB Recovery Partition, then my overprovisioned unallocated space.

I have no 100MB partition.
    I have the "main" partition (my C drive) to the far left, rather than after the recovery partitions.

Does any of that matter?

Ken

iamc3k, Apr 7, 2016
  8. Word Man Win User

It can matter quite a bit but isn't necessarily a problem. The disk partitions Ed shows reflect a GPT disk scheme, booting UEFI. Yours is most likely an MBR disk scheme and you are booting Legacy, not UEFI.

Kenn *Smile

Word Man, Apr 7, 2016
  9. RPmtl Win User
    If the SSD is empty, and there's nothing on it, then just choose the 'Custom' installation option during the install and that will offer you the various partition and formatting tools. Delete any and all the partitions on the drive. Then select the drive (now without any partitions) as where you want to install Windows 10 and everything will proceed without any problems. Windows 10 will create and format the partitions it needs and then install. After it's finished you can always use the Windows 10 Disk Management tool to shrink the primary partition to make room for any other partitions you might want to create on the same SSD.

RPmtl, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New WIN 10 Install on new SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD - Similar Threads - Install SAMSUNG EVO

2. Samsung introduces new and faster 870 Evo SATA SSD

in Windows 10 News
    Samsung introduces new and faster 870 Evo SATA SSD: [img] New 870 EVO is ideal for both general and professional use 38% higher random read performance speeds up everyday computing tasks 30% improved sustained performance further extends SSD endurance Samsung Electronics, the world leader in advanced memory technology,...
  3. Installing a New SSD drive ( Samsung 860 evo)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installing a New SSD drive ( Samsung 860 evo): Hi there , I am trying to installing a new SSD (2.5 inch , 7mm height) that I brought for my old Laptop . The Laptop has a HDD whose height is 9.5 mm but my SSD is 7mm ….. * My laptop Specs are :: Processor - Intel core i5 2410M 2.30Ghz 2 core 4 thread RAM - 12gb...
  4. Can't install windows 10 on my SSD samsung evo 860 - 250GB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't install windows 10 on my SSD samsung evo 860 - 250GB: Hello, I have the same problem - I can't install windows 10 on my SSD (samsung 860 evo 250GB). I've tried so many things now to get it working, but after use the media creation tool (which works fine) - when it restarts it either goes directly to my BIOS or blue screen with...
  5. Samsung SSD 860 EVO randomly freezing on Win 10

Samsung SSD 860 EVO randomly freezing on Win 10: hello fellas, I'm in desperate need of some advice from experts :P Google and some other forums can't help me with my problem, i've looked everywhere and its the 2nd time this problem exists. my problem: I have a SSD built into my computer, where win10 and some programms...
  6. Samsung SSD 860 EVO randomly freezing on Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Samsung SSD 860 EVO randomly freezing on Win 10: hello fellas, I'm in desperate need of some advice from experts :P Google and some other forums can't help me with my problem, i've looked everywhere and its the 2nd time this problem exists. my problem: I have a SSD built into my computer, where win10 and some programms...
  7. Problem installing Win 10 on 970 Evo Samsung

Problem installing Win 10 on 970 Evo Samsung: Hi, I would like your help for a problem i am facing. I bought a MSI B350 PC MATE motherboard (7A36-003R) and I wanted to build a new pc but when i try to install Windows 10 x64 on Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 at the step where I select the M.2 disk to install it popups a...
  8. System Image + new Samsung 850 EVO SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image + new Samsung 850 EVO SSD: Following a successful install of Creator's Update I transferred all files-including OS-to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD (500gb) using Samsung Magician software supplied with the SSD. File transfer went was perfect. Old HDD was removed and replaced with Samsung SSD. Reboot was...
  9. Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Samsung SSD 850 EVO: [img] About This Product Upgrade virtually every aspect of your computer’s performance with Samsung’s new 850 EVO, designed with state-of-the-art SSD advancements including 3D V-NAND technology. As the next generation beyond the bestselling 840 EVO, you’ll get the...
  10. Clean windows 10 install onto a new SSD (samsung 850 EVO 250 gb) or

Clean windows 10 install onto a new SSD (samsung 850 EVO 250 gb) or: When I mount the drive in a Kingston drive adapter , the Samsung Magician software does not recognize the drive although Disc check identifies fine? Tried several different USB connectors & a second computer . Is there a workaround to migrate my win 10 system to the SSD -...