Windows 10: New Win 10 on new PC, where to put program files ?

Discus and support New Win 10 on new PC, where to put program files ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, The new PC will have a Samsung 970 evo plus 500GB boot drive. The operating system only will be on this drive. A friend suggested that I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Riley7, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Riley7 Win User

New Win 10 on new PC, where to put program files ?

Hello,

The new PC will have a Samsung 970 evo plus 500GB boot drive. The operating system only will be on this drive.
    A friend suggested that I have all the program files on a different drive to minimize wear on the ssd. I use many non mainstream programs that do not have an option as where to install. If I do this, I would end with program files dirs on two drives.

Is there any real advantage of doing this? Will it make the boot drive last longer?

:)

Riley7, Jan 31, 2020
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Jan 31, 2020
  3. r.h.p Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Jan 31, 2020
  4. yertiz Win User

New Win 10 PCs cannot see other PCs on network

Ken

It may be that both steps were necessary. I just did them one step at a time.

Indeed. Whilst it's good to have a solution I cannot say I feel I understand how the problem has been resolved. Everything I read suggests that SMB1 should only be required for older versions of Windows. In fact, without SMB1 checked, the only computer visible to the new Win 10 boxes was a Win 7 box!!!

yertiz, Jan 31, 2020
Thema:

1. New Win 10 on new PC, where to put program files ? - Similar Threads - where put program

2. new update deleted files and programs. win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    new update deleted files and programs. win 10: latest update for win 10 deleted programs and files, had to restore to earlier version https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-update-deleted-files-and-programs-win-10/57d72fb9-3fcf-4e34-ac63-ecb8dbc1f557
  3. new update deleted files and programs. win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    new update deleted files and programs. win 10: latest update for win 10 deleted programs and files, had to restore to earlier version https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-update-deleted-files-and-programs-win-10/57d72fb9-3fcf-4e34-ac63-ecb8dbc1f557
  4. new update deleted files and programs. win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. transfer win 10 to new pc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    transfer win 10 to new pc: i already made post regarding this but i guess could not clearly explain there so i am buying new desktop assembled pc and i want to use same key and microsoft account i am using currently in my old pc . now my windows 10 home is retail version came with USB stick. i use...
  6. Transfer PROGRAMS and files to new win 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer PROGRAMS and files to new win 10 laptop: Hi all, Can someone tell me how to transfer PROGRAMS, files and settings from my old windows 10 laptop to my new windows 10 laptop? I want to transfer the programs also, not just the file and settings. Also, both systems are 32 bit. Thanks John...
  7. New Win 10 PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Win 10 PC: How do I migrate my files/data from my old XP PC to my new Win 10 PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-win-10-pc/0f447e6d-d1a7-4ccd-887e-4ebf51823c99
  8. Questions on where to install programs on new PC (SSD or HDD?)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Questions on where to install programs on new PC (SSD or HDD?): Hi all, I'll be getting a new gaming Desktop PC in a few days time, and I've never had a computer with both a SSD and a HDD (the one I have now is nearly 11 years old! And it's all installed on a single HDD [though a lot of my files are on an External HDD to save room])....
  9. Transfer Win 10 to new PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Win 10 to new PC: Windows 7 was upgraded to Windows 10 (32 bit). I have done a couple of clean installs since. I have built a new desktop and would like to transfer windows 10 (32 bit) to new comp and at the same time install 64 bit version. How do I go about it? Windows 7 was given to me as a...
  10. Where can you find the Product Key for a new Win 10 PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Where can you find the Product Key for a new Win 10 PC: I have just received a new laptop with Windows 10 Home installed. The machine booted up fine and we are all registered, activated and updated (10586). So there was no paperwork with the Product Key nor was it put on a label on the underside of the laptop. So I ran a...