Windows 10: New Win10 laptop w PCIe SSD + HDD, where should the Cache Drive be?

Discus and support New Win10 laptop w PCIe SSD + HDD, where should the Cache Drive be? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I just bought a new laptop with 256GB NVMe PCIe SSD + 1TB HDD and 16 GB of DDR 4 RAM. It's running Win 10 Home 64Bit. I am wondering where... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by takias, Jul 18, 2016.

1. takias Win User

New Win10 laptop w PCIe SSD + HDD, where should the Cache Drive be?

Hi,
    I just bought a new laptop with 256GB NVMe PCIe SSD + 1TB HDD and 16 GB of DDR 4 RAM.
    It's running Win 10 Home 64Bit.

I am wondering where should have the cache drive or virtual memory?
    and how big should it be?

If it have it on SSD it will be faster but - it will be written continuously which may shorten its life as unlike HDD SSD has limited write cycles.

This is my first time with both SSD and Win10 and I am sorry if the question is stupid.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

takias, Jul 18, 2016

2. Windows 10 upgrade and clean install in new SSD

I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for in similar threads.

I have a laptop with a Windows 8.1 installed in a HDD. I have not yet upgraded to Win10 but I have reserved already.

I want to do a clean install of Win10 on a new SSD I'm buying and I'm worried that if I upgrade to Win10 on my current drive then do a clean install on the SSD, because of the hardware change (HDD to SSD) the Win10 product key will become invalid.

What should I do?

- Upgrade to Win 10 on my current HDD then swap the SSD and do a clean install

- Clone my current hard drive do the SSD then do the upgrade

Note: The OS (Win7) installation came with the laptop

Note 2: I don't need to keep my files

JoelOliveiraPT, Jul 18, 2016
  3. Boot Win10 as external Hard Drive

Hi, I've bought a new SSD for replacing my old HDD. In the Old HDD I've Debian and Win10 with dual boot.

In the new SSD I don't want to install Win10, I want to use it via USB; speed isn't an issue to me. I wont be using so much...

When I plug the old HDD via USB, as an external drive, I can boot from it, but Windows fails to start with "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" or something of sort. Debian boots Ok. If I install the HDD in the laptop instead of the SSD it boots Ok.

Is there a way of me making my old HDD to start Windows 10 as and external hard drive?

jcbastosportela, Jul 18, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Keep pagefile on ssd - modern ssds will not crap out for many years on write cycles.

Besides with 16GB and new memory comprssion algorithms you should rarely need to pagefile anyway.

cereberus, Jul 18, 2016
  5. CountMike New Member
    You can just lower PF size to 1GB, it's enough even for 8GB of RAM. Don't worry about too much writing on SSD they can take it even better than HDDs. It's not true that new SSD have smaller write cycles, that thinking has been dragging around from first ones. Theoretical limit is there but it's such that in normal use it will not come into play for many years.

CountMike, Jul 18, 2016
  6. takias Win User
    Thank you Cereberus and CountMike for the replies.

Till now I always made two separate cache drives - 1 for windows and one for other Programs that lets you select cache drive/scratch disk. It kept my system fast as cache files didn't mess up C drive - leading to less fragmentation.

So from now I don't need to keep a separate cache drive somewhere other than system drive (C)?

Thanks again.

takias, Jul 18, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I agree with Cereberus and CountMike. There is no need to put cache files on any drive other than the SSD. Also, SSDs don't have fragmentation problems because there is no read/write head to be moving around.

NavyLCDR, Jul 18, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

No need with SSD. The reason we used to put PF and virtual memory on another disk is to be able to read and write on C: and it would not have to do it simultaneously on the same disk and that used to speed things up a bit.
    SSDs can read and right thru 4 channels at least and HDDs on one only.

CountMike, Jul 18, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Hybrid drives combine the best of two into one unit. It uses the NVRAM for storing data while waiting for either the CPU or Hard Drive to catch up with the cached data.

Do not change how Windows has it set up. The manufacturer should have a utility installed that handles the Hybrid.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New Win10 laptop w PCIe SSD + HDD, where should the Cache Drive be? - Similar Threads - Win10 laptop PCIe

2. laptop HDD replaced w/ New SSD. tech reloaded WIN10 w/ y license, activated with s/n. . How...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    laptop HDD replaced w/ New SSD. tech reloaded WIN10 w/ y license, activated with s/n. . How...: Please see below https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-hdd-replaced-w-new-ssd-tech-reloaded-win10/8f305287-070e-4452-914a-4ef2588374fd
  3. laptop HDD replaced w/ New SSD. tech reloaded WIN10 w/ y license, activated with s/n. . How...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop HDD replaced w/ New SSD. tech reloaded WIN10 w/ y license, activated with s/n. . How...: Please see below https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-hdd-replaced-w-new-ssd-tech-reloaded-win10/8f305287-070e-4452-914a-4ef2588374fd
  4. laptop HDD replaced w/ New SSD. tech reloaded WIN10 w/ y license, activated with s/n. . How...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Should i enable write caching policy for SSD And HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should i enable write caching policy for SSD And HDD?: I am asking whether I should have this on for my internal SSD and internal HDD? The reason why I am asking this is because it says "But a power outage or equipment failure might lead in data loss or corruption." I don't want my data to be endangered of becoming corrupted....
  6. Use SSD as cache for HDD

Use SSD as cache for HDD: Hello everyone! I was wondering if I could use a 128GB SSD as cache for my 2TB HDD. What program should I use? Is it a native Windows feature? Is this the right subreddit to post this? Thanks :) submitted by /u/GnossisYT [link] [comments]...
  7. Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer

Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer: I heard that defragmenting an SSD is a bad thing, as there is no benifit to it and it just stresses the Flash. but as it seems the drive optimizer doesn't defrag an SSD, which would be good if it would actually correctly detect an SSD. my System has technically 1 SSD. the...
  8. Should I Use An HDD or SSD Drive As The "Data Drive" With My Laptop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I Use An HDD or SSD Drive As The "Data Drive" With My Laptop?: Hello. I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe! I have a subjective (and yet induce elements of fact) question to ask you all. Introduction: Having a Lenovo T510 legacy laptop that has an upgraded SATA III 500 GB SSD drive (from an older HDD drive) in the main...
  9. New PC w/ SSD+HDD, possible to have programs installed only on HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New PC w/ SSD+HDD, possible to have programs installed only on HDD?: Hey all. I need all your genius minds and help here. Bought a new Dell PC running Win10 with 128GB SSD + 1 TB HDD. After deleting the bloatware (which was surprisingly minimal), I have about 60GB of free space. Tried installing a few basic programs but they all kept...
  10. new m.2 pcie ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    new m.2 pcie ssd: I've installed the above in my pc but it doesn't show up in my bios uefi. I installed thre build in a dual boot configuration. What files do I need to leave in the old drive so as I can boot into the new drive? 54011