Windows 10: New win10 system build, how do I activate from my old upgraded win7?

Discus and support New win10 system build, how do I activate from my old upgraded win7? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm building a new system and would like to use the license from my dismantled old system. The old system started with win7 and has been upgraded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by emilgolen, Jan 23, 2020.

1. emilgolen Win User

New win10 system build, how do I activate from my old upgraded win7?

Hi,
    I'm building a new system and would like to use the license from my dismantled old system.
    The old system started with win7 and has been upgraded all the way up to win10 through the years.
    I purchased a "Windows 10 Home 64-bit Installation/Recovery Disc Only" to simplify things.
    I will install this first.
    From what I read I now have a digital license for the old system.
    I'm wondering how do I transfer the license to the new system?
    Do I need to "un-register" the old system?
    I have the original product key but my new system has completely new hardware (except for DVD player) so I don't see how the license can be linked automatically.
    I haven't tried yet so I'm just gathering info for when I do in a couple days.

Thanks!

:)

emilgolen, Jan 23, 2020
  2. Tim B285 Win User

Win10 on new hard drive, how to activate

• Installed Win10 to new hard drive, but Win7 code does not work.
    • Tried online (slui.exe 4) activation:
      • entered numeric codes online - which failed,
      • talked to 1st line tech who entered Win7 code - did not work,
      • transferred me to 2nd line tech and no one came on the phone line after 2.5 hours.

Win7 was pre-installed on HP computer with no media provided and HP support has no process to supply replacement media or ISO (last HP purchase). Tried to install Win7 to new drive using Recovery Disks I created, but it could not find system image.

Not willing to return to old hard drive as the new one has SSD and is at least 3 (7?) times faster.

QUESTION 1: Is my only option now to buy either Win7 or Win10?

QUESTION 2: Without activation, when will Win10 no longer boot? If 12 months, I can retry online activation later.

Tim B285, Jan 23, 2020
  3. Phats0 Win User
    upgraded Win7 retail to Win10. HOW do I install this license on NEW HARDWARE?

I've upgraded my PC to WIN10 from Win7 with a retail(non-OEM) license.

What are the steps i need to take to
    install and activate that license on a NEW PC?

Phats0, Jan 23, 2020
  4. dkwong55 Win User

Win7 to Win10 upgrade issue ... 0xC1900101-0x30017 and then 0x40017

hi, Andre,

yes, i think my note did say that i already created the bootable ISO on a DVD and started the Win10 upgrade from there. i already contacted the vendor and he gave me a list of Win10 drivers, suggested the bootable ISO upgrade method but did not recommend
    a new BIOS update.

My PC is a ZOTAC CI320none with an Intel processor running a licensed Win7 Home Premium SP1.

dkwong55, Jan 23, 2020
Thema:

1. New win10 system build, how do I activate from my old upgraded win7? - Similar Threads - win10 system build

2. How do I upgrade Win7 to Win10/11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I upgrade Win7 to Win10/11: I tried doing this using a bootable flashdrive from 2016. I then downloading the latest updgrade and tried to create a bootable flashdrive. Both attempts failed and yeah, I know free upgrades were terminated in 2016 or thereabouts. So, how can I upgrade?...
  3. How do I upgrade Win7 to Win10/11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I upgrade Win7 to Win10/11: I tried doing this using a bootable flashdrive from 2016. I then downloading the latest updgrade and tried to create a bootable flashdrive. Both attempts failed and yeah, I know free upgrades were terminated in 2016 or thereabouts. So, how can I upgrade?...
  4. upgrading from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  5. Upgrade to Win10 on new SSD, keep old Win7 on HDD

Upgrade to Win10 on new SSD, keep old Win7 on HDD: Hi all, I am currently running OEM Windows 7 on a HDD, and want to take advantage of the "free" upgrade to Windows 10 (I know it expired in 2016, but I read that you can still do it). Problem is, I have some programs that I still use that I don't have the keys for, so I'd...
  6. Transfering old emails from Outlook 07, Win7 to new win10 build

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Transfering old emails from Outlook 07, Win7 to new win10 build: My current build is Windows 10 and have installed MS Outlook 2016 Pro Plus. I have a backup copy of my Outlook 2007 PST file from my previous computer that had Windows 7 Home. In fact, I have my old hard drive with all my MS Office 2007 files on it. My old emails, up to...
  7. Transfer Upgraded Win10 (From win7) license to a new build?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Upgraded Win10 (From win7) license to a new build?: I built my last computer in 2012 using Win7. I upgraded to Win10 when it became available. I'm now going to build a new machine with only a few parts from the current one. The old machine will be decommissioned, and it's SSD will become a data drive for the new machine which...
  8. Upgrade Win7 to Win10 Before or After Migration to New System Build

Upgrade Win7 to Win10 Before or After Migration to New System Build: I have a system with an i7-3930k and Win7 retail license. I will be building a new i7-6700k system and will be reusing the SSD, HDD, graphics card and my Windows license. I ultimately want the new system to be Win10. Should I do the OS upgrade first, or build the new...
  9. Upgrading from win7 to win10

Upgrading from win7 to win10: Hello, I have 4 PCs; I was able to upgrade 3, but the fourth one the desktop I couldn't upgrade it. I followed all the workarounds and solution were offered I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and still cannot update. What should I do? 13716
  10. How do I upgrade from non-legitimate Win7 to legit Win10?

How do I upgrade from non-legitimate Win7 to legit Win10?: So I'm helping my uncle upgrade to Win10. His computer was custom built by a friend we can't get a hold of. It has Win7 ultimate on it. It's only recently become a problem that the copy of Windows his friend included wasn't legitimate, so my uncle decided to upgrade to Win10....