Windows 10: New Window update caused missing files, errors and broken start menu & cortana

Discus and support New Window update caused missing files, errors and broken start menu & cortana in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've recently updated and restarted my PC and upon logging in, I was met with a black screen with a view-able cursor upon moving and a missing taskbar.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by OzRazgriz, Jan 18, 2019.

1. OzRazgriz Win User

New Window update caused missing files, errors and broken start menu & cortana

I've recently updated and restarted my PC and upon logging in, I was met with a black screen with a view-able cursor upon moving and a missing taskbar. Though searching online has proven this seems to be a common problem, though the fixes haven't worked. I've tried multiple possible fixes available through the internet with no avail.

A list of some the problems:
    1. Start Menu cannot be accessed through any means that I've found
    2. File Explorer seems to have gotten much much slower and has gotten more prone to not responding
    3. A general slower load time compared to pre-update.
    4. Opening applications other than Chrome, File Explorer, Task Manager, Device Manager(Though I don't remember how I got it up) leads to a side-by-side configuration error that appears minutes after the attempt of opening the application.
    5. Downloading files leads to a Side-by-side configuration error. "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect".
    6. Trying the sfc /scannow leads to a different variation(different from what I've seen from picture examples) of a Windows Resource Protection error.
    7. Trying to find the root problem(Apologies, but I do not remember the command I used) leads to a Unknown Error message in cmd.
    8. Starting in safe mode leads to similar problems(Start Menu not working, most applications not working)
    9. Attempts to restart(While keeping personal files) reaches 1% then stops and says it cannot continue(or something along those lines)
    10. Troubleshoot repair options have not worked, or failed.

And more that I can't remember. I am willing to try ANY possible fixes and give more information if need be. Thank you for your help!

More Info:
    During the update, it blue screened at 100% it restarted.
    Taskbar appears after a while of waiting, though is prone to sometimes not appearing(sliding taskbar)
    "This App can not run on your PC" error appeared trying to run start menu and regedit using cmd.
    My anti-virus(Bitdefender) was the only startup app running on the taskbar.

:)

OzRazgriz, Jan 18, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jan 18, 2019
  3. Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs"

RE: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32bit, Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs" list.

I have several "start menu" programs missing in my "all programs" list. One of the missing entries is the "accessories" folder and all related files.

As far as I can tell all of the missing files are on the system and they can be found by using the "start menu search" facility. This problem is occurring with other users but I can not find a solution which works to get things back the way they were after installing the OS.

I am seeing the missing apps and other items at this location in iexplore.exe %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs .

Everything I have tried to get these items back into my "start menu" "all programs" list has been met with failure except creating a shortcut. A shortcut is not the real fix as it leaves two entries in the folder.

When I right click on the highlighted "all Programs" box, in the start menu, a small options list pops up, if "open all users" is selected a new window pops up. Inside that window I can click on the programs folder where I can see the missing entries that should appear on my "all programs" list plus those which I presently see on my "all programs" list together in a single directory listing.

How can I get the above directory list of programs back into the "start menu" "all programs" area so I do not have to go through this extra window and select the programs folder to locate what I wish to run?

I also noticed my accessories folder has a lock on it while I am in the primary user administrator account. If you know how to get rid of the lock it would be helpful however I can find that information when I get a chance to look up the answer?

I noticed some hidden (first tier) folders on the C: drive which I made visible while leaving protection on the OS folders. I can now see these folders in an iexplore.exe directory listing. This did not fix the problem in the "all programs" file selection list and I do not remember if this folder was hidden when the OS was installed.

When I opened up the system to allow a login directly into the Administrator account everything shows up the same as it did when the OS installed along with all other programs installed afterward.

After some progress I am still here *Bang Head :banghead: and slowly getting closer to an answer. Can anyone help me get there a little faster?

N9ZN-Extra, Jan 18, 2019
  4. New Window update caused missing files, errors and broken start menu & cortana

Unable to access Start menu and Cortana in Windows 10

Hello Kevin,

As you are unable to access Start menu and Cortana on your device we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know if you are able to see any error message/ error code while trying to access Start menu and Cortana?

This issue might have occurred due to missing/ corrupted system files on your device. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run SFC scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. If a
    Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

• Press Windows + R keys, to open
      Run command.
    • Type cmd and hit Enter to open
      Command Prompt.
    • Type the command "sfc /scannow" without the quotes
      and hit Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to install all the pending updates on Windows 10.

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 18, 2019
Thema:

New Window update caused missing files, errors and broken start menu & cortana

1. New Window update caused missing files, errors and broken start menu & cortana - Similar Threads - Window update caused

2. start menu broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start menu broken: My start menu is broken. It splits in half and I cant click on the side where the apps is placed. I need my start menu. I cant see logs where I can see the cause of the concern so I decided to reach you. I need help...
  3. start menu broken

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu broken: My start menu is broken. It splits in half and I cant click on the side where the apps is placed. I need my start menu. I cant see logs where I can see the cause of the concern so I decided to reach you. I need help...
  4. start menu and cortana

in Cortana
    start menu and cortana: start menu and cortana do not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-and-cortana/af6eb818-795d-4653-9bb3-28c3706de982
  5. Start Menu is broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu is broken: So I booted into Windows 10 because I need to write a PowerShell script and my Start Menu just broke itself. It worked perfectly fine, I rebooted and since then it's not been showing up at all when clicking at the Start button or pressing the Windows key. I have not installed...
  6. Broken start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Broken start menu: Can anyone help me fix my start menuwhich wont appear when clicked on? It appears briefly then disappears. Version 1909 OS Build 18363.693 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broken-start-menu/7e7f3f8d-3288-4899-9d25-a3ee5d9f0e4c
  7. Start menu broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu broken: I have gaps where icons should be but I cant move/rearrange many of the icons. I also cant create a new group submitted by /u/mallorcaben [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ez6g66/start_menu_broken/
  8. Cortana Missing From Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana Missing From Start Menu: Hello, I have tried everything! For some reason, Cortana is not on my start menu or one of my pinned tiles. Not sure how to get it back on there. Therefore Cortana's search bar is also missing, which was super convenient for me. Can someone please tell me how to pin...
  9. No Start Menu? No Cortana?

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu? No Cortana?: Everything was working ABSOLUTELY AWESOMELY with build 10041. As of 7:00 p.m. central time 3/22/2014. Now, I log into my computer this morning and nothing Start is just not working. I can't get into settings (any way that I know) to revert back. Can someone please assist in...
  10. Critical Error with Start Menu and Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Critical Error with Start Menu and Cortana: Ok so when I clicked the start menu I usually saw a 'Start Menu' tile. I never really took it on but I believe it was sometime last week out of curiosity I clicked the tile and a message came up. I don't remember what it wrote but it was basically saying that something wasn't...