Windows 10: New Windows 10 install on new disk on Arch Linux system with UEFI/GPT

Discus and support New Windows 10 install on new disk on Arch Linux system with UEFI/GPT in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My system has 2 x SSDs, one for Arch Linux the other for Windows 10. I am trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the 2nd SSD which has had all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kaptnblackbeard, Jan 6, 2021.

1. New Windows 10 install on new disk on Arch Linux system with UEFI/GPT

My system has 2 x SSDs, one for Arch Linux the other for Windows 10. I am trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the 2nd SSD which has had all partitions removed. My UEFI boot partition is on Disk 0 which also has my Arch Linux OS.

Disk 0 (GPT)

• Partition 1: EFI
    • Partition 2: Linux

Disk 1 (GPT)

• Unpartitioned space

Running the Windows 10 install from a USB disk it fails when "preparing files for installation" with the error code 0x80070003. This was the same error I got during a Windows 10 cumulative update some time ago that had something to do with dual boot. As a workaround for this for every cumulative update I had to remove my Linux disks from the system, run the Windows update, then put the Linux disks back in, then repair the EFI entries to recognise Linux again. Far from ideal and a royal PITA. This also resulted in two EFI partitions, one on the Linux disk and another on the Windows disk. Hoping to avoid two EFI partitions this time I left the Linux disks in the machine and directed the Windows installer to install to disk 1. This seems to have worked with only two partitions being created on this disk and presumably Windows detecting the EFI partition on disk 0. However I suspect Windows is failing to install because the EFI partition is on another disk despite it recognising it.

Any help with getting this to work or do I have to remove Linux disks every time I want to install/update Windows?

submitted by /u/kaptnblackbeard
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kaptnblackbeard, Jan 6, 2021

2. GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

Sigh.

BIOS is being replaced with UEFI. Both BIOS and UEFI tell the hardware how to communicate, turn it on, and generally make your system start-up. As such, you could theoretically have a set of hardware that runs Linux, Windows 98, and Windows 8 while still getting UEFI support during the boot-up (assuming you've got a hardware CSM).

So yes, you can go MBR and get the UEFI visual boot-up options. The visual cues will be determined by your motherboard manufacturer. GPT is not a necessity, unless you are using a boot disk larger than 2TB.

In short, because every time it seems there's more information you raise a different question:
    Yes, you can have UEFI on a Windows 7 install with MBR partitioning.
    No, UEFI does not require GPT partitioning.
    You should install windows 7 with the default settings (MBR) for compatibility and ease of install.
    Yes, GPT will unlock some new features, but they are unlikely to benefit you.
    A search of wikipedia might help with other questions: Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - Wikipedia

lilhasselhoffer, Jan 6, 2021
  3. GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

So

I've got a new PC coming and this time it's the first time I will be using UEFI, i have read all the big stuff but I don't have the hardware yet so It's still kind of half baked but I'll do dig deep into it once I start building in the coming days.

I've read the win7 install guides, MS GPT FAQs (not fully yet), etc,

But I wish to know if:

I can use UEFI as an upgraded bios without having to use GPT disk format?

GPT disks can have any sort of partition cloning for full operational OS backup ?

Will GPT format improve performance on SDD or improve reliability in terms of data integrity or error rate?

When isntalling win7 with MBR but using UEFI, will it work normally without needing to uefi-boot the window7 install?

If I cannot backup my OS in a 100% clone that will boot normally when recovered, i will probably not use GPT, that shit is a step backward.

RuskiSnajper, Jan 6, 2021
  4. New Windows 10 install on new disk on Arch Linux system with UEFI/GPT

how to make gpt disk

You should only use GPT depending on certain factors:

You are using a UEFI based BIOS, the local disk is larger than 2 TBs.

EFI – known as the extensible firmware interface, came into the mainstream more than a decade ago with systems such as the first Intel Macs and computers pre-loaded with Windows Vista. UEFI offers more advanced options than BIOS, with support for features such
    as a graphical user interface and mouse support, making it easier to configure boot and hardware settings.

GPT – GUID or Global Unique Identifier Partition Table, is the successor to MBR and is an integral part of modern UEFI systems for booting Windows. If you are using a drive that’s larger than 2 TBs, GPT is recommended.

Source:
    https://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-partiti...

If its not, then stick with MBR. In the partition window, select each of the partitions listed, starting at the bottom then click Delete until there is a single unallocated disk.

Select the unallocation disk, click New. This will split it in two, select the Primary partition, then click Next to begin the installation.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 6, 2021
Thema:

New Windows 10 install on new disk on Arch Linux system with UEFI/GPT

1. New Windows 10 install on new disk on Arch Linux system with UEFI/GPT - Similar Threads - install disk Arch

2. arch linux installation failed in wsl.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    arch linux installation failed in wsl.: I was trying to install arch in wsl.I downloaded arch.zip from github.then i double pressed the arch.exe and it started to installing.But suddenly load-shedding happen and my pc turned off.after a few seconds when i again trying to install arch then it gives me this...
  3. arch linux installation failed in wsl.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    arch linux installation failed in wsl.: I was trying to install arch in wsl.I downloaded arch.zip from github.then i double pressed the arch.exe and it started to installing.But suddenly load-shedding happen and my pc turned off.after a few seconds when i again trying to install arch then it gives me this...
  4. arch linux installation failed in wsl.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows 10 doesn't boot from old disk after installation on new disk UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 doesn't boot from old disk after installation on new disk UEFI: Hello, I was asked for replace HDD to SDD drive in the desktop by creating clean installation. Unfortunately during installation computer stuck on Activation serial number screen every time. I decided to take new SSD to home, put it into my personal laptop, install Windows...
  6. Dual boot with Arch Linux

Dual boot with Arch Linux: I have windows 10 installed on a 1tb ssd booting in UEFI BIOS mode. I want to install arch linux on a seperate 120gb ssd. Ive previously installed arch a few times so i’m familar with its installation. However, i cannot seem to find any clear information on how to be able to...
  7. Backup and Restore Windows 10 NTFS system partition from within Arch Linux installation USB...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup and Restore Windows 10 NTFS system partition from within Arch Linux installation USB...: Hi, I need advice how to backup or restore windows 10 system partion from arch linux installation usb with rsync command. I would like backup partion to another partition or better to one compressed file. When I'll want restore my system from backup, I just restart PC to arch...
  8. new installation gpt not mbr

in Windows 10 Customization
    new installation gpt not mbr: I have assembled a new desktop computer that has eufi bios. My existing computer on which I am writing this question is a Legacy bios how do I get a win10 installed on the new one, as the "Media Creation Tool" copy won't work. Thanks Keith...
  9. Arch Linux to Windows 10 issue

Arch Linux to Windows 10 issue: Hello, I tried Linux I don't like it. Id like to switch back to Windows 10. However, when trying to reinstall Windows it tells me i have a media driver missing. It won't tell me which one. I tried getting drivers from ASUS. That didn't work. I tried getting drivers from...
  10. Dual BOOT with Linux on ext3 and GPT + UEFI

Dual BOOT with Linux on ext3 and GPT + UEFI: Have two SSDs, one for W10 Insider and on other one I just reinstalled Linux Mint with UEFI and GPT partition(s). [img] [img] While both were in "normal legacy BIOS" way, non-UEFI I was able to make it dual BOOT but now my favorite, EasyBCD can't make working BOOT...