Windows 10: New Windows 10 install on older hardware crashes frequently

Discus and support New Windows 10 install on older hardware crashes frequently in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This post is a bit lengthy but please allow me to give an overview of the history. I recently installed Windows 10 Pro on a machine which is very old,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by A_Little_Lost, Nov 22, 2018.

1. New Windows 10 install on older hardware crashes frequently

This post is a bit lengthy but please allow me to give an overview of the history.

I recently installed Windows 10 Pro on a machine which is very old, originally purchased in 2009 (specs below). Until this week it was still running Windows Vista as I didn't have the money to upgrade and it was acceptable for my needs. I knew for a while that the hard drive was failing and I had been experiencing frequent blue screens, restarts and freezing. I believed these issues were caused by corrupt data or similar. On Monday it finally died and wouldn't boot at all.

I replaced the hard drive with a brand new one and got a copy of Windows 10. The installation was fast and easy but unfortunately about 15 minutes after setup it blue screened. Since then it has blue screened or frozen several times a day as I've tried to identify the cause which was evidently not just the hard drive.

The crashes occur with no pattern I can see. It crashes often when opening Firefox. It crashed several times while attempting to install Teamspeak and World of Tanks. It crashed while attempting to download the latest driver for my graphics card. It crashes frequently when I'm just looking at settings. The weird thing is, I played World of Tanks for nearly 3 hours yesterday without it crashing once. This is exactly the same behavior I saw when it was when it was running Vista and it seems less prone to crashing when it's handling a more demanding task. Only smaller tasks cause a crash and every time the error code seems different.

I'm confident this isn't being caused by any additional software because it started happening immediately after a clean install of Windows. I understand that it may be caused by old hardware which is worn out and faulty. At the very least if I can determine for sure that's the case then I'll know. But I'm hoping it's something else.

The specs of my machine:

Motherboard: Foxconn N15235 G31MX (Not sure which numbers are most relevant)
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz
    RAM: 4GB
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9600GT
    Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG
    Storage: 1 Seagate Barracuda 1TB
    Power Supply: 300W

Link to the system logs:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!An8UdHypRAxpgVzCmbhR6ecU79ur

So far I haven't been able to try a whole lot since it crashes so much that I get interrupted frequently. Windows believes all drivers are up to date. I have already tested the RAM using Memtest86 and no errors have been identified there. I cleaned everything when I was replacing the hard drive and at least on the outside everything looks to be functioning normally. I have tried numerous solutions by searching for specific error codes and nothing has worked so far.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I just can't afford to replace the whole machine right now.

Thank you for your time.

:)

A_Little_Lost, Nov 22, 2018
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Nov 22, 2018
  3. r.h.p Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Nov 22, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

New Windows 10 install on older hardware crashes frequently

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 22, 2018
Thema:

New Windows 10 install on older hardware crashes frequently

1. New Windows 10 install on older hardware crashes frequently - Similar Threads - install older hardware

2. Frequent Crashing on New Hardware - PSHED.dll and ntoskrnl.exe errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frequent Crashing on New Hardware - PSHED.dll and ntoskrnl.exe errors: System:Windows 10 HomeASUS DesktopAMD Ryzen 09 5900X 12-core Processor, 3791 Mhz, 12 Cores, 24 Logical ProcessesBIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2804, 7/20/2022SMBIOS Version 3.3BIOS Mode UEFIBaseBoard PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HESRAM 32 GBNVIDIA GeForce RTZ 3090Using Blue...
  3. Frequent Crashing on New Hardware - PSHED.dll and ntoskrnl.exe errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Frequent Crashing on New Hardware - PSHED.dll and ntoskrnl.exe errors: System:Windows 10 HomeASUS DesktopAMD Ryzen 09 5900X 12-core Processor, 3791 Mhz, 12 Cores, 24 Logical ProcessesBIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2804, 7/20/2022SMBIOS Version 3.3BIOS Mode UEFIBaseBoard PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HESRAM 32 GBNVIDIA GeForce RTZ 3090Using Blue...
  4. Frequent Crashing on New Hardware - PSHED.dll and ntoskrnl.exe errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Getting frequent hardware crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting frequent hardware crashes: when playing certain games. They aren't always intensive ones, and it creates some kind of dump file but i have no idea how to read them. The screen goes black usually with some of the UI still visible but colouring is off....
  6. Getting frequent hardware crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting frequent hardware crashes: when playing certain games. They aren't always intensive ones, and it creates some kind of dump file but i have no idea how to read them. The screen goes black usually with some of the UI still visible but colouring is off....
  7. Frequent Crashes - Hardware Related - With Reliability Report

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Frequent Crashes - Hardware Related - With Reliability Report: Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent Code: 141 Parameter 1: ffffe48b1b9f2010 Parameter 2: fffff8016b10372c Parameter 3: 0 Parameter 4: 2774 OS version: 10_0_19042 Service Pack: 0_0 Product: 768_1 OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.768.101 Locale ID: 4105 Been waiting a few months...
  8. Older Hardware Windows 10 or 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Older Hardware Windows 10 or 7: I have a dell e6500 latitude just using it for general use, currently running windows 10 1903 see attachment for specs would guys recommended downgrading to 7 or sticking with 10 will i see a significant improvement if not ill stick with 10 132361
  9. Windows 10 install on new hardware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 install on new hardware: My motherboard is fried in my main PC. I have an old PC as a back-up, which I'm now forced to use. I installed my Windows 10 on the old PC using disc. Install was no prob but I can't activate it due to it being considered active on the non-functional PC. How do I go about...
  10. New install of Win 10 on older computer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New install of Win 10 on older computer?: I was given a laptop that came with Windows 8.1. The owner removed the memory and HDD because they thought computer went bad. I replaced the memory and HDD with some spare parts I had. The HDD had a old installation of Win 10 from when I replaced it with a SSD. The laptop is...