Windows 10: New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable

Discus and support New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I installed a new Windows 10 OS on a new SSD without any issues. After I finished checking the new Windows 10 installation I noticed that the boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Niv13, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Niv13 Win User

New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable

I installed a new Windows 10 OS on a new SSD without any issues. After I finished checking the new Windows 10 installation I noticed that the boot screen now shows 2 Windows 10 to boot into. The one that goes to the new Windows 10 OS started with no problem, but the one that goes to the old Windows 10 OS clearly doesn't work. My old Windows 10 OS is on a separate SSD.I have my USB Windows 10 boot drive and I've used Startup Repair on the old windows 10 volume, but couldn't repair it. I'm not sure what to do now. What information do I need to provide to get my old Windows 10 installation back u

:)

Niv13, Jan 29, 2023

2. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, Jan 29, 2023
  3. Old SSD to new computer

I have an old SSD that I would like to install and use on a new computer that already has one SSD and on HD. Windows is installed on the new computer on the SSD. However, windows was also installed on the old SSD I would like to move to the new computer.
    When I hook up the old SSD windows will not start and goes to blue screen with options to recover, use different version of windows, etc. As soon as I disconnect it, windows boots right up again. How do I format the old one to get windows off of it to use
    it as storage?

SOTF KrameR, Jan 29, 2023
  4. New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable

Windows 10 Installation to new SSD while keeping old HDD

Installed a new SSD, so my PC now has two drives. Have been running Windows 10 on the old HDD. I want to install Windows 10 on the new SSD. Using the Windows ISO DVD I made there is no choice where to install WIndows 10. I am not sure how to remove Windows
    10 from the old HDD and install it on the SSD to speed up boot.

I read where you cannot remove Windows 10 from the original HDD. Not sure if that is true.

ChuckDeVries, Jan 29, 2023
Thema:

New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable

1. New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable - Similar Threads - Installation SSD made

2. New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable: I installed a new Windows 10 OS on a new SSD without any issues. After I finished checking the new Windows 10 installation I noticed that the boot screen now shows 2 Windows 10 to boot into. The one that goes to the new Windows 10 OS started with no problem, but the one that...
  3. New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable: I installed a new Windows 10 OS on a new SSD without any issues. After I finished checking the new Windows 10 installation I noticed that the boot screen now shows 2 Windows 10 to boot into. The one that goes to the new Windows 10 OS started with no problem, but the one that...
  4. installing old ssd with windows pro to new computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    installing old ssd with windows pro to new computer: hey guys my pc cpu broke and I bought new motherboard + cpu my question is I don't want to reinstall everything if I did a clean windows install so if I use my old ssd and hdd will they work just fine or will I face problems? + I don't mind buying a new windows key but as...
  5. Old SSD Not Working After New Windows 10 Install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Old SSD Not Working After New Windows 10 Install: I installed Windows 10 (Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685) to a brand new Samsung EVO 860 SSD and everything is working OK. But when I connect my old SSD (Samsung 850) that has Windows 7 on it, that drive is not recognized by the BIOS or in Windows. It will show up in Disk...
  6. Old SSD Not Working After New Windows 10 Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old SSD Not Working After New Windows 10 Install: I installed Windows 10 (Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685) to a brand new Samsung EVO 860 SSD and everything is working OK. But when I connect my old SSD (Samsung 850) that has Windows 7 on it, that drive is not recognized by the BIOS or in Windows. It will show up in Disk...
  7. Old SSD to new computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old SSD to new computer: I have an old SSD that I would like to install and use on a new computer that already has one SSD and on HD. Windows is installed on the new computer on the SSD. However, windows was also installed on the old SSD I would like to move to the new computer. When I hook up the...
  8. Windows 10 Installation to new SSD while keeping old HDD

Windows 10 Installation to new SSD while keeping old HDD: Installed a new SSD, so my PC now has two drives. Have been running Windows 10 on the old HDD. I want to install Windows 10 on the new SSD. Using the Windows ISO DVD I made there is no choice where to install WIndows 10. I am not sure how to remove Windows 10 from the old HDD...
  9. Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD: If I clone my old upgraded windows 10 SSD to a new SSD and do a clean install on the new SSD. Would the new cloned SSD be activated? 9609
  10. Windows 10 and new SSD with Windows 7 in old HDD

Windows 10 and new SSD with Windows 7 in old HDD: My situation is this: I have now Windows 7 in my HDD, and I just bought a new SSD to install Windows 10 in. Also bought a new Windows 7 license (old one is pirated *Rolleyes). I'm going to install Win7, then upgrade to Windows 10 and do clean install. The question is, will I...